The FAA Authorization Bill

Wow. Something went right, for a change!

Good start, now how about the planes who's TC holder won't supply parts

"New" Piper, I'm looking at you!

""How is this going to effect the vintage aircraft owner ""

Every old aircraft in existence with out factory support can be maintained by the use of the AC 43-13 as a reference for repairs.

Those with factory maintenance manuals are maintained IAW these manuals still today, no matter how old the manuals are.

So, what did this do for us?

It simply made the FAA give up data they protected thinking it was intellectual property of some debunk companies. WE rebuilders now can under the Freedom of information act get blue prints, engineering data, and stress figures that they denied us in the past.

It all started when a restorer had a data tag from a Fairchild 45, and asked for the FAA blue prints and engineering. and the FAA denied the request, because it was intellectual property of a company that didn't exist.

I don't know how "right" it went... 15 year fight and a Supreme Court decision :hairraise: . Bureaucratic common sense aint cheap.

Last edited:
It all started when a restorer had a data tag from a Fairchild 45, and asked for the FAA blue prints and engineering. and the FAA denied the request, because it was intellectual property of a company that didn't exist.
Naw, the FAA did that because they could.

Well they can't now.. :)

Hmmm... Weren't they also required by law to issue pilot certificates with a photo of the pilot on each? Like any good diety, sometimes their actions makes sense and help, sometimes they don't. Congress seems so cute to them, passing laws trying to regulate the regulators.

Hmmm... Weren't they also required by law to issue pilot certificates with a photo of the pilot on each? Like any good diety, sometimes their actions makes sense and help, sometimes they don't. Congress seems so cute to them, passing laws trying to regulate the regulators.

They may, they may not, cough up the info, you still must submit a FOIA request, I wonder how many times? and who's round file they will end up in?

They may, they may not, cough up the info, you still must submit a FOIA request, I wonder how many times? and who's round file they will end up in?

They'll only cough up the data/info that still exists.....I suspect the FAA themselves failed to retain much of the documentation.

But heck, it may be worth asking....think I may just submit a FOIA to try and get the drawings for the Skycraft C170 metalized wing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes. It's in the works (now that congress has authorized funding) as to when it will happen, don't know.

I have seen the prototype certificates (there are some folks in the FAA that have them). One thing I noticed on them they have expiration dates. Like I said, they are prototypes at this point, so I wouldn't read anything into that.

They'll only cough up the data/info that still exists.....I suspect the FAA themselves failed to retain much of the documentation.

But heck, it may be worth asking....think I may just submit a FOIA to try and get the drawings for the Skycraft C170 metalized wing.

FAA keeps everything, it's just a matter of knowing where to find it.

I have seen the prototype certificates (there are some folks in the FAA that have them). One thing I noticed on them they have expiration dates. Like I said, they are prototypes at this point, so I wouldn't read anything into that.

Only makes sense that they will go to expiration dates for pilot certs....just like they did with aircraft registrations. Lots of long dead aviators in the airmen database.

Only makes sense that they will go to expiration dates for pilot certs....just like they did with aircraft registrations. Lots of long dead aviators in the airmen database.

Knowing the government they could create a new form for you to fill out and send in to notify them of your death. Just make sure you sign it.....:rolleyes:

Back