The End of an Era

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
A couple of days ago, as I was driving past Moffett Federal Airfield (NUQ), I was surprised to see that "The Blue Cube" was being torn down. A landmark in the area for many years, it was the home of Onizuka Air Force Station, whose operations have been transferred to Vandenberg Air Force Base.

Yes indeed, I noticed the same recently, this building used to be so "secret", no windows, etc, all of a sudden you see a bulldozer ripping the walls open.

Yes indeed, I noticed the same recently, this building used to be so "secret", no windows, etc, all of a sudden you see a bulldozer ripping the walls open.

From what I read, it sounds like all the secret stuff has been moved.

I guess it wasn't TOO secret, because people who lived in the area knew what it was.

My very first USAF assignment was at Sunnyvale. 1983-1988. Looking back over a 30 yr career, that was still the best job I've ever hand. Learned to fly next door at Moffeft Field Navy Aero Club.

Soloed at RHV. What shows at closed Rwy 11/29 at SJC was only 25' wide back then, and my instructor used to make me go over there and we beat that pattern to death, right next to the commercial traffic. PAO and LVK alot too.

Back