The Dumb Question Thread ...

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
O.k. I've got a dumb one that can be answered here faster and better than what I read probably.

My NAV light switch has two positions. One for continuously on, and one for blinking.

When am I supposed to use the blinking nav lights? Or continuous? What's the regs if any? :confused::crazy:

Regs say the nav (position) lights have to be on at night. The rest is your choice.

14 CFR 91.209(a)(1)

I'd use flashing lights if available, while airborne, as they grab eyes. I'd use steady on the ground for the same reason.

Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Gorgeous...

...and with the third wheel in the right place!

Thanks. I got extremely lucky finding this one. It was not for sale. The older pilot owner was going 'fix it up' someday. My wife and I were driving around the airport one day and just met the owner and got to talking that I was looking for a plane.

I think he fell in love with my wife and sold it to her more than me.... he goes all giddy around her.

It was sitting in the far corner of a hangar all covered with dust and ugly. But when we started working on it, and me polishing it up before money had changed hands, two guys tried to buy it out from under me, but the owner stuck to our deal.

This is one of the first shots when we started work. It has taken a lot of polishing to bring it back to a decent shine. I had the best time helping Jerry restore this bird. I learned everything about it inside and out. Ever been on your belly all the way in the back inside the tail of a 180? I have. :yes:

:)

Why do ATIS report temps in Celsius? And times in Zulu. Do their radios freqs reach all the way to England? :mad2:

Our procedure in the military was to use nav lights in the flashing position when specifically needed to be sorted out from the rest of the crowd, say, when our wingman was trying to pick us out of a bunch to rejoin. We also used them in flash on low levels.

In any event, the FAR's are silent on the subject.

Thanks guys. Blinking nav lights are PIC choice. :goofy:

Here's another dumb one....

When I prime my 0-470, it's harder to start than if I just give the throttle a mild pump or two. I know this is taboo, but it works better than priming every time.

I welcome any advice from other carburetor Continental owners what their start procedures are ... or anybody that's owned one ...

Thanks guys. Blinking nav lights are PIC choice. :goofy:

Here's another dumb one....

When I prime my 0-470, it's harder to start than if I just give the throttle a mild pump or two. I know this is taboo, but it works better than priming every time.

I welcome any advice from other carburetor Continental owners what their start procedures are ... or anybody that's owned one ...

Ours starts fine with prime when cold but always starts much better with the mixture pulled back to match our density altitude. Mechanic showed me that trick and it's nice. Rarely more than a blade before it fires if leaned instead of full rich. Your mileage at your altitude may vary.

Our procedure in the military was to use nav lights in the flashing position when specifically needed to be sorted out from the rest of the crowd, say, when our wingman was trying to pick us out of a bunch to rejoin. We also used them in flash on low levels.

In any event, the FAR's are silent on the subject.

Lol! Same thing we used. lost commo as well. One base I was at said we had to have it on flash on the ramp then steady and bright in the air.

How come corn isn't an ingredient of 'corn dogs'? Shouldn't it be scrap dog?

Lol! Same thing we used. lost commo as well. One base I was at said we had to have it on flash on the ramp then steady and bright in the air.

Yep, still briefed for night nordo in my community......pull up acute, flash pos lights, which can be done by flipping the pinky switch full aft. Only use of this functionality I can think of

Does the Little Mermaid wear an algebra?

Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

why do they call them apartments when they are so close together?

why are they called driveways when you park on them...and parkways when they drive on them?

why do drive thru ATM's have brail?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

why is the man who invests your money called a broker?

why do drive thru ATM's have brail?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

why is the man who invests your money called a broker?

Holy schnikies!!!

Tarzan SHOULD have a beard! Never thought of that before...

Back