"The Dark Side"

You know, I've thought about doing it quite a few times, but everytime I considered it, something else came up.

What kind of hours are you going to be looking at? Did you get to pick your final placement? Are you paying for the schooling, or are they paying you?

The hours are not that bad, so far. In school we are strictly 8 hour a day Mon thru Fri job. We are running 2 shifts right now because there are so many new hires, but even the 3:30 PM to midnight shift is not that bad, and I have a wife and a 2yo daughter.

School is paid. The figures are not secret, so I will be pretty open with salary information.... I get 19,000 a year (for the three months I am in OKC for training) plus $80 a day per diem. All told, it is a pretty decent package with the health benefits and insurance. Then, when I get to Muskegon, MI my salary starts off at 33,100 a year, and goes up as I get certified on different positions in the tower. I can't remember where to goes to, but I think it is low 40s to initially. Certification takes about a year in Muskegon.

I did get to "pick" where I wanted to go. Here is a rundown of the timetable that I went in on:

AUG 2007: I applied to every available job posting, and was assigned a test site of Covina, CA to take the AT-SAT (Air traffic controller - something aptitude test). My duty station, had I taken that test, would probably have been HI.

SEPT 2007: I am notified that I can take the AT-SAT in Lansing, MI on Dec 14, 2007. I accept this offer because my dad lives in MI.

DEC 2007: I take the aptitude test, and I am "qualified to well-qualified". Basically, I passed.

JAN 2008: I find out that I passed the test and I get some forms to fill out for the MI position. This is where I "picked" my facility. Basically, since my dad lives near Detroit, I went down the list geographically from the Detroit area out. I got assigned to MKG because they needed people the worst, and there were probably other people that live in Detroit that got assigned to those facilities.

Feb 2008: More forms

March 2008: Waiting and emailing my contact on "the inside"

April 2008: Got assigned to take the PEPC (hiring interview, medical, pee test, psych test combo) in Chicago in May.

May 21, 2008: Accepted "tentative" offer to MKG, even though I didn't even know where Muskegon was located. You accept your offer first, before they waste the time and money seeing if you are fit.

Had my interview in one room, filled out my background check/security clearance paperwork down the hall, went and peed in a cup (in the bathroom), had an eye test, and a medical exam (similiar to class 2 medical, with an EKG).

They sent me a bunch of forms to fill out in OCT 07 and I chose all the busiest facilities in MI (because they pay better and I didn't know any better at the time).

Waited, knowing that I might be able to start between June 2008 and November 2009....

June 9, 2008: My "firm offer letter" is dated the 9th of June, but I had a telephone call the previous Thursday where they offered me a training start day of June 18th. I had to turn that down because I wanted to give my boss two solid weeks, so I got to start on the 26th of June instead.

So on the 26th of June I started class here in OKC.

I have not looked at the timeline all at once before. It doesn't seem like that long, but there was a lot of "dead time" that made it hard. Like waiting for my test results, or waiting to see if I got picked up for MI, HI, AK, IL, NE or any one of the other places I applied to, or waiting for that "firm offer letter" knowing that your report day could be a week or a year.

It's cool though. I have guys, and a gal, in my class who are going to all the places that I applied to. There is a guy that got a call on Monday seeing if he could make it to class on Thursday (he did).

So far my impression of the FAA has been good. I have some really great folks to go through training with, my facility manager seems like a good, genuine guy, and Sherri and I are moving forward with the assumption that this will be the last job I have to look for. Life is good....

Anyhow, I hope that answered all the questions. Even if it was too much information, sometimes it is good for a guy to look back at the year, and see how he got where he is....

The hours will be different when I get to Muskegon, but since it is only open 6AM to 11PM, I wont be working midnight shifts like some of the guys going to bigger towers in my class. My schedule will be "leftovers" until I get seniority over someone, but in a few years, I should have a pretty good pick of schedules because all the old hands will be retired/retiring, and me and the other two new guys will have seniority over the other "more new" people....

It has been a fun trip so far, and I am looking forward to getting to simulator training in a week, and on to MKG to start maintaining a safe expeditious flow of traffic.....

--Matt Rogers

You know, I've thought about doing it quite a few times, but everytime I considered it, something else came up.

What kind of hours are you going to be looking at? Did you get to pick your final placement? Are you paying for the schooling, or are they paying you?

Dude ya know you do have to take a Psych test:rolleyes:

Grant perhaps I misunderstand the terminology. I had thought ATC =Air Traffic Control wether its Center, Approach or Tower.
It is. I was only being more specific, not attempting in any way to correct you. I also wanted to make it clear that ApacheBob works for Chicago Center (good), not Chicago Approach (bad).:rofl: So few of us get to interact with Chicago (O'Hare) tower that we don't really know if they're in the "good" or "bad" category, but those I've met and talked to seem to be good, albeit ignorant of most GA needs.

Matt:
I seriously considered going to the dark side once; someone said they had chocolate chip cookies over there!

Best,

Dave

So it's finally happened...

The FAA gets Mister Rogers in the control tower!

"Hello Lil' Cessna; what do you want to do today?..." :eek:

Congratulations Matt! :cheerswine:

Chris

Thanks for all the hellos so far. It's been good to have something useful to say to this fine group of individuals (whose main flaw is the whole "pilot" thing...)

Yes, it's true. We do have chocolate chip cookies over here. They are in the cafeterias, and I think the last one I had cost about $32.87....

And, no, I will never use the "Mr. Rogers Voice", that would be totally unprofessional and I would never consider such an outlandish act. (Now that we have that out of the way, a great idea. Even if most of my class wouldn't get it because they are a little too young.)

We got finished with Air Traffic Basics on Thursday, and started in the simulator building Friday. We picked up a 6 new people, who seem to be a pretty good crew, and are pushing forward with more academics before we get into the actual simulation exercises in a week or so.

--Matt Rogers

I am on a break from "Metar" class, but to answer your questions quickly:

Yes, I had to take a psych test. It was the "new" MMPI, basically it was about 300 or so T/F questions.

They ask you the same question 16 times so they can detect if you're trying to get away with something when you don't consistently respond the same way that you hear the constantly whispering voices the rest of us all hear. :D

I didn't want to hijack the other thread I was posting information on, so I will post here.

I passed my checkride on Monday, and today, we are siting in a house that is almost all unpacked and organized. The day after tomorrow (Monday the 29th of September) I will start my "on the job" training at KMKG (Muskegon, Michigan).

It has been a long road so far, but with the crew that I have met so far, it looks like I will be at a very good place.

--Matt Rogers

I didn't want to hijack the other thread I was posting information on, so I will post here.

I passed my checkride on Monday, and today, we are siting in a house that is almost all unpacked and organized. The day after tomorrow (Monday the 29th of September) I will start my "on the job" training at KMKG (Muskegon, Michigan).

It has been a long road so far, but with the crew that I have met so far, it looks like I will be at a very good place.

--Matt Rogers

I hope you've got snow tires and all wheel drive, the lake effect snow can be brutal around Muskegon. But other than that it can be a very nice place to live, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Congratulations Matt!

I wonder if you'll find it easier to start actual cab training in the Fall/Winter months due to the local pilots being fairly current after the Prime flying months?
I know one of our tower guys (Contract tower) said "Spring sucks for being a controller...rusty pilots in rusty airplanes daring to hurl themselves into the crisp Spring air can make for a long day...":yes:

Good Luck in your new job and your new home.

I suppose on Sunday night (Sept. 28th) you'll be watching "Pushing Tin" right before you hit the sack???.:hairraise:

Chris

Matt, congratulations and thanks for sharing your experiences on this thread.

I'm on the other side of the pond from you (eastern WI) but if I ever make it over there, I'll be listening for you. :)

Matt, congratulations and thanks for sharing your experiences on this thread.

I'm on the other side of the pond from you (eastern WI) but if I ever make it over there, I'll be listening for you. :)

Yeah, it seems like everyone is listening these days. I am getting really close to getting my "ground control checkride" so every little tittle is scrutinized.

Nothing like telling an airplane to taxi on Foxtrot and forgetting about the snowplow you just put there.....

--Matt

Yup, that one's better than the new controler who'd been stuck working ground for three or four months. He's finally moved to tower. I called ready to go at 29 right and he called back "Taxi to two niner right...(really long pause)...Cleared for take-off two nine right." I managed to wait until after the acknowledgement to share a chuckle with my pax...and then I forgot to switch on the transponder...oops. Maybe it was just a day for minor errors.

Everyone is listening because of that insane Bobby Sturgell order to report any and every pilot infraction. Whadda maroon..... sigh.

On a personal note, I'm REALLY REALLY happy for Matt. And I'll be looking to get up there in the spring.... :) Gotta see that second new one....

Last edited:
Doc,

We'll look for you in the spring then!

As for the pilot infractions, there are just so many other things to do that sometimes we must prioritize and that gets bumped off the list....

I think that's a safe answer.

--Matt Rogers

Back