The clouds aren't safe any more

chucky

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chucky
I'm allowed to fly in them, all by myself, as of yesterday morning.

The oral went very well. The first part of the flight portion also went very well - departure, vectors, climbs and descents, tracking a VOR inbound and outbound, course reversal, unusual attitudes. Then the DME arc I started to get a bit behind things, and I came very near to a bust transitioning from that to my first approach (the MMK VOR-36). I got that sorted out, not without some language inappropriate for this forum, flew the rest of the approach okay, got cut off on final by some else who hadn't been announcing on the CTAF until his turn to final, flew the missed, then went back to New Haven. Flew the partial panel VOR-A into New Haven with no more than about a dot-and-a-half deflection, and that only when I was changing altitudes and getting different winds. Turned outbound, flew the full ILS-2 and landed.

Not a perfect performance, but damn if I didn't keep those needles centered on the ILS.

Congratulations! Now, be sure to get the wings wet enough to maintain proficiency! :yes:

Thanks all!

Congratulations! Now, be sure to get the wings wet enough to maintain proficiency! :yes:

Well, I'd like to, but I have to get ready for another oral exam next week - my PhD defense - and then my wife and I are moving to California, so between now and the middle of September I likely won't be doing much flying. I'll get a few sightseeing hops that I've been promising friends before I go, but my first solo instrument flight (IFR, not IMC, to start) will probably be out of KPAO. And yes, I plan on spending time with a local CFII there before I try it on my own.

I think flying by instruments is the most unnatural thing one can do. Congratulations.

Moving to CA in the 2nd most unnatural thing you could do. You must be daft. Stanford?

Moving to CA in the 2nd most unnatural thing you could do. You must be daft. Stanford?

Yup. I like California, more than Connecticut at any rate. If I could pick any place to move to, I'd probably go back to the Twin Cities, but I don't get to pick where the jobs are. Also, my wife really doesn't like winters.

I think flying by instruments is the most unnatural thing one can do. Congratulations.

Yup. I like California, more than Connecticut at any rate. If I could pick any place to move to, I'd probably go back to the Twin Cities, but I don't get to pick where the jobs are. Also, my wife really doesn't like winters.

Having both of us in the clouds at the same time would be even MORE unsafe!

For what it's worth, the sidewalks became unsafe when I obtained my driver's license.

Back