The Chronicles of a Student Pilot Training in Air Force Airspace

LeeDeep

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LeeDeep
The Chronicles of a Student Pilot Training in Paradise

Afternoon everyone. I don't have much of an intention for this post other than to document my PPL training from almost hour 0. I don't have a blog, so this is the most suitable place for me to keep a record that I can read down the road. If ya'll would like to join in, the more the merrier, but I am not naive enough to believe my experience is radically different than most.

That being said, a quick intro. I have wanted to fly since I was 10 and I finally have been convinced by my wife that it's time to take that step some 23 years later. We have no kids and she loves to travel, so this is my 'way of spending money'. Who am I kidding, I have other hobbies too. So here I am with 3 lessons under my belt and just about as many flight hours in the logbook toward the PPL.

At first, I was a little intimidated since one of the very few, and in fact most convenient, place for me to learn is out of KDTS which is smack dab in the middle of some pretty intimidating (though not as much so as I originally thought) airspace; just ~6 NM from Eglin Air force Base. I figured, if I can learn to fly and communicate here, I can fly & communicate anywhere. Now, after a few flights, learning how uneventful it actually is, I have a feeling some busy class B airspace is going to be far more challenging. Though I may get some strange looks now if I slip and carry with the habit of requesting departure clearance prior to VFR departure from another airport that doesn't require it. And I'll admit, it is pretty bad a$$ to see a couple of F35s whipping around from the air.

One of the things I was looking forward to most is training in and around Destin, which has some of the most incredible beaches and waters in America. From the air it does not disappoint, either. With water clear enough to see sharks and dolphins, there are usually some cool things to see en route to the practice area.

So on to the chronicles so far. In my first three lessons, we did straight and level, we've done slow flight, stalls (landing and T/O configurations) and a little foggy goggle time. My instructor says I am doing a pretty good job, and I feel like I am with the maneuvers, but takeoff and landings are... lets say... bumpy. I'm told any flight where they can rent the plane again after me is a good one, but I do get a little disappointed at those times. I also understand though, that these things take practice and the development of the 'feel'. It seems like there's always a breeze coming off the water, so I don't guess it won't get any easier.

My biggest challenge right now is trying to fly weekends. The school I'm with only has a schedule block between 9-5, M-F, so I can only fly once a week right now with work and all. I've been convinced that sticking with a single instructor is better than bouncing around, so I'm going to make do with the once a week thing, though I would jump at the chance to fly twice a week. I do a lot of mental chair and FSX flying to keep the procedures as fresh as possible in my head between lessons though.

So that's it for now. Looking forward to joining in the conversations, and learning from you all, whether in this or on other threads. I've been on here poking around for a little while already and it's always interesting to see the varying opinions, especially on radio comms.

Last edited:
Congrats on your starting lessons,welcome to the board.Love the area you are flying out of.Playing tag with the military can be exciting.a lot of international airports have you call clearance delivery before going to ground ,even if you are vfr.

Welcome! I've got family in Destin. Looking forward to spending Thanksgiving down there this year.

Re: The Chronicles of a Student Pilot Training in Paradise

Thanks for the welcome. Like the avatar David. I grew up in MD, so the O's have a place in my heart. I'd like to add a quick intro question to the masses. How long was it before you performed the first landing you were proud of?

Last edited:
Re: The Chronicles of a Student Pilot Training in Paradise

Thanks for the welcome. Like the avatar David. I grew up in MD, so the O's have a place in my heart. I'd like to add a quick intro question to the masses. How long was it before you performed the first landing you were proud of?

Stay tuned. I'll let you know.

Back