The Cessna Denali

IMG_0983.JPG IMG_0935.JPG
View attachment 49768
It's just very mediocre overall. Quite unresponsive compared to every other airplane I have flown. By skids i mean these. Some pilots believe that only they should only qualify as "taildraggers" and the others should be "tail wheel" or so I have been told. I've never seen one that hasn't been like ancient so i dont really see it as a valid point, but hey, different folks
see how the tail just have a little stick instead of a wheel? That's what I mean by "skids" but seeing as all of these are world war 1 area aircraft, I don't see it as a valid point anymore. My dads pal, disagrees and gets into a tissy of you call his plane a "taildragger" as is it has a "tail wheel"

View attachment 49771 View attachment 49772 see how the tail just have a little stick instead of a wheel? That's what I mean by "skids" but seeing as all of these are world war 1 area aircraft, I don't see it as a valid point anymore. My dads pal, disagrees and gets into a tissy of you call his plane a "taildragger" as is it has a "tail wheel"

Then call it a "tailroller" next time you see him, and let us know how explosive he gets... :popcorn:

Do you fly in the skids or tailweel airplanes? My dad friend has a maule m7 260 c, and to be honest, it flys like crap. I've also flown my instructors modified piper Cherokee, which has had the landing gear converted to tail wheel, much better.
It's actually a warrior, mind me.

I don't believe that exists. So I'm going to say pics or it didn't happen.

Gawd knows why anybody would want one, but there's apparently a couple of them out there. There was a bunch of talk on Backcountry Pilot and the Piper forums a few years ago about these, but I haven't heard of anything recently

11056063_487395031411074_9107533172269606323_o_zpsl8s3link.jpg

13204_487394364744474_6542570920858906979_n_zpscwtemaik.jpg

upload_2016-12-13_20-31-57.jpeg

Gawd knows why anybody would want one, but there's apparently a couple of them out there. There was a bunch of talk on Backcountry Pilot and the Piper forums a few years ago about these, but I haven't heard of anything recently

View attachment 49790
I happily stand corrected... I fly a 172 converted to tailwheel so I don't have a ton of room to talk but that sure is... Interesting.

PC models? It's a Pilatus PC12, It's the one in your first photo at the top. Yeah that isn't the Denali.

It surprised me that Cessna couldn't come up with a more original design than a PC12 clone. Seems their innovation skills have been lacking.
That pic isn't a PC12. Look at the ventral fin, windows and wingtips.

That pic isn't a PC12. Look at the ventral fin, windows and wingtips.
It was a PC12. He edited the post after we told him. The new top photo isn't what it was originally.

I don't believe that exists. So I'm going to say pics or it didn't happen.
It's has been modified.I don't have any pics and I don't fly out of that airport anymore. I could care less if you believe me.

It's has been modified.I don't have any pics and I don't fly out of that airport anymore. I could care less if you believe me.

View attachment 49790
i couldn't tell you why it is that you would want to spend the money to do that, I like "taildraggers" a lot, but I find the disadvantages of having them on the ground would outway the coolness value of them. That said, if I had oodles of money and time to burn, who knows.

Do you fly in the skids or tailweel airplanes? My dad friend has a maule m7 260 c, and to be honest, it flys like crap. I've also flown my instructors modified piper Cherokee, which has had the landing gear converted to tail wheel, much better.
I am not a rotor wing fan in the slightest. They have no wings!! The horror! When I worked the GOM, had to fly in them stupid helicopter things quite a bit, never liked them. Had to pull the remains of a few off the bottom of the ocean as well(hard to autorotate from two hundred feet I guess)

View attachment 49790
I love tailwheels and I love PA28s…..but that right there is NOT my idea of a good time….

I love tailwheels and I love PA28s…..but that right there is NOT my idea of a good time….
I had fun flying it, I just don't see the point in spending the money and time just to make the airplane less controllable on the ground. Maybe they think it looks cool, I don't know.

i couldn't tell you why it is that you would want to spend the money to do that, I like "taildraggers" a lot, but I find the disadvantages of having them on the ground would outway the coolness value of them. That said, if I had oodles of money and time to burn, who knows.
I had fun flying it, I just don't see the point in spending the money and time just to make the airplane less controllable on the ground. Maybe they think it looks cool, I don't know.
More rugged for unimproved runways. Larger prop clearance. Faster cruise speed. No oleo strut.

There's plenty good in taildraggers.

Always happy to see new designs hit the market, or at least be experimented with, but like others have said I wonder what market this is going after. Between the long line of TBMs out there and PC-12s, both with 20 years operational histories, this might have a small hill to climb to get sales

It's a flyng bus. Or limo. Whatever. Probably fine for it's mission, and if that's a mission that interests you, cool. But if you gave me one, I'd sell it, buy an SF-260, and bank the balance. . .

You like the new PC-11?
And, really, they couldn't come up with a better name?
It'll start a trend, and soon we can buy the Cirrus Camry or the Piper F-150!

Denali is the highest mountain in North America, and from base to tip the tallest mountain in the world. I think it's a fine name.

I do think it's a solution in search of a problem though, as the PC12 has proven itself to be reliable off of unimproved runways, it has the same cruise speed, and not considerably roomier then the PC12. The market is currently very saturated with single-engine turboprops, and this plane doesn't bring anything into the market that isn't doable with current airframes.

Denali is the highest mountain in North America, and from base to tip the tallest mountain in the world. I think it's a fine name.

It's Mt McKinley. The name needs to be restored.

I just heard Cessna decided not to make the Denali. Something about a pilot shortage and a lack of pilots willing to fly it.......

Back