The Biggest Loser

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
Did anyone watch the Biggest Loser last night?? I'm catching up this morning... I didn't get to see it. I already have a couple of favorites that I hope will go all the way. It's unbelievable to me that 2 out of every 3 adults in this country can be described overweight or obese. The show is very motivating to stick to what works, that's why I watch. :) And it's fun to watch the changes in the cast and especially the "makeover" show where everyone goes shopping! :D

Last edited:
Did anyone watch the Biggest Loser last night??

Not one of my favorite shows.

It's unbelievable to me that 2 out of every 3 adults in this country can be described overweight or obese.

Hmm. Maybe so but I kind of suspect the data. Ask any "official" group on the subject and you are liable to get a different answer than the last group. And then they go and change the bar. Kind of like "normal" blood pressure. Normal used to be 120/80 or lower. Now they went and changed it to 115/75. Sigh

A pet peeve of mine is the fast food industry. Remember when Mc Donalds advertized a burger, fries and a drink and you could get change back for a dollar? That was a "regular" hamburger, "regular" fries and a 12 oz drink. Now a small drink is 20 ounces. And it goes up from there. You have to study the menu to find a regular hamburger or cheese burger. Normal is a quarter pounder, Double this, triple that, "Can I Super Size that for you?"

No wonder we are all getting obese. (Well, except for you, Lynn. :rofl:)

Don't get me wrong. People need to exercise self control. But damn. It is hard to do when they are pushing the "bigger and better".

A pet peeve of mine is the fast food industry. Remember when Mc Donalds advertized a burger, fries and a drink and you could get change back for a dollar? That was a "regular" hamburger, "regular" fries and a 12 oz drink. Now a small drink is 20 ounces. And it goes up from there. You have to study the menu to find a regular hamburger or cheese burger. Normal is a quarter pounder, Double this, triple that, "Can I Super Size that for you?"
It's not just the fast food industry but restaurants in general. They want to make you think you are getting a lot of bang for your buck. I think that most of the cost in restaurants is the overhead not the food, so it's more advantageous for them to give you more than to charge you less.

Don't get me wrong. People need to exercise self control. But damn. It is hard to do when they are pushing the "bigger and better".
There's also all those people who grew up hearing about the starving kids in India...

Not one of my favorite shows.

When I moved from Topsham(every possible fast food franchise available within 3sm from my house) to Georgetown(island) I figured that I'd fade away to nothing, it now being 7sm to the nearest fast food place. So now I eat at home before "goin' inta town" and thereby diminishing the temptation to eat out.

But lately, McDonald's flyer with special coupons -- Eureka! Buy one large sandwich, get one FREE. Hmm -- 2 Double 1/4 pounders with cheese; Yes! But I'll do it in moderation; have to protect that 138 lbs.(since 1961) and the recent 78/120. And have to get in condition for ski season.
(Photo is Sunday River Ski Area on September 19)

HR

Attachments

• Sunday River_3.jpg
    Sunday River_3.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 5
It's not just the fast food industry but restaurants in general. They want to make you think you are getting a lot of bang for your buck. I think that most of the cost in restaurants is the overhead not the food, so it's more advantageous for them to give you more than to charge you less.
I agree, but there _are_ lots of restaurants that are both economical and healthy. I admit that I eat out pretty much every day, but I've also found many healthy options and those restaurants aren't necessarily very expensive. Obviously, none of them are "fast food" places.

Here's my current favorite. They list all their ingredients and their origin on the menu and the origin is usually less than 100 miles away:

http://www.smallshed.com/

The problem with many restaurants - even very good ones - is that they use more butter, oil, salt and such than you expect. Therefore, they become quite unhealthy. It's maybe not as bad as McD, but it's often quite close.

-Felix

I agree, but there _are_ lots of restaurants that are both economical and healthy. I admit that I eat out pretty much every day, but I've also found many healthy options and those restaurants aren't necessarily very expensive. Obviously, none of them are "fast food" places.
Having spent quite a bit of time in the Bay Area over the years I think that it has always been more attuned to the quality of food as opposed to the quantity. I see this spreading to other parts of the country slowly, but it mostly involves middle to upper income people and because of that it seems a bit elitist. It would be nice to see that change but I guess when you only have a limited amount of money to spend on food you want volume.

Everywhere I've ever lived eating out entailed more calories than eating in. More butter, oil, sugar etc... Best way I've ever found to keep weight off is to eat at home and control portions. Not easy for me, I so much as look at a chicklet and I gain 10 lbs.

I call your attention to this article: Link

edited list from article said:
-- Quiznos large tuna melt sub sandwich.

The numbers: 1,520 calories, 101 grams of fat, 21 grams of saturated fat, 2,020 milligrams sodium.

-- Chipotle's chicken burrito, filled with rice, pinto beans, corn salsa, cheese, sour cream and guacamole, accompanied by a side of chips.

The numbers: 1,750 calories, 79.5 grams of fat, 23 grams of saturated fat, 2,750 milligrams of sodium.

-- Applebee's New England fish and chips.

The numbers: 1,910 calories, 137 grams fat, 24 grams saturated fat, 3,150 milligrams of sodium.

-- Chili's Big Mouth Bites, four mini burgers topped with jalapeño ranch dressing.

The numbers: 1,930 calories, 31 grams of saturated fat, 4,400 milligrams sodium.

-- Outback Steakhouse's full rack of baby back ribs served with Aussie fries.

The numbers: 1,936 calories, 133 grams of fat, 56 grams of saturated fat, 2,741 milligrams of sodium.

-- Domino's bread bowl pasta.

The numbers: One bread bowl, which Domino's nutritional information counts as two servings, contains 1,340 to 1,470 calories, 48 to 56 grams of fat, 21 to 27 grams of saturated fat, 65 to 115 grams of fiber, 1,830 to 2,860 milligrams of sodium.

-- P.F. Chang's China Bistro's double pan-fried noodles with a combination of meats. Although this is one entree, the company count it as four servings since it totals 36 ounces.

The numbers: 1,820 calories, 84 grams of fat, 8 grams saturated fat, 7,692 milligrams of sodium.

-- The Greene Turtle's boneless wings, which includes 16 wings in "We Mean Hot" sauce, served with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.

The numbers: 1,963 calories, 153 grams of fat, 30 grams of saturated fat, 10,877 milligrams of sodium.
-- Uno Chicago Grill's Chicago Classic deep-dish individual pizza, which is topped with sausage, tomato sauce and cheese.

The numbers: 2,310 calories, 165 grams of fat, 54 grams saturated fat, 4,920 milligrams of sodium.

-- The Cheesecake Factory's pasta carbonara.

The numbers: 2,500 calories, 85 grams of saturated fat.
10,877 milligrams of sodium - aka "heart attack on a plate"

Having spent quite a bit of time in the Bay Area over the years I think that it has always been more attuned to the quality of food as opposed to the quantity. I see this spreading to other parts of the country slowly, but it mostly involves middle to upper income people and because of that it seems a bit elitist. It would be nice to see that change but I guess when you only have a limited amount of money to spend on food you want volume.
That's true, and sadly I don't think there are many healthy chain restaurants. Do you know of any?

I guess in-n-out on the west coast is at least higher quality than McD, but I'm not sure that it's healthier.....

That's true, and sadly I don't think there are many healthy chain restaurants. Do you know of any?
Panera comes to mind as a chain that probably isn't bad and I have noticed healthier selections at other restaurants too recently. I don't know how these choices have been going over with the general public, however.

Putting the blame on the restaurants for obesity is nuts. There's a group in California suing McD's to remove the toy from the Happy Meal because it encourages their kids to eat poorly. This is nonsense on so many levels. Who's driving the fat kids to McD's? Let's see, is there anything else in the world that would be bad for your kids that you're incapable of saying "no" to? Well, then let's ban that too?

We're living in a world of "blame someone else for my problems" and the thing that strikes me about the Biggest Loser show is how much it focuses on these people taking responsibility back for their health. Good on 'em says I.

i love yummy food. and beer. and pop.

moderation is necessary but sucks.

i love yummy food. and beer. and pop.

moderation is necessary but sucks.

LOL... And you know what really sucks?? Eating something yummy and knowing that I will have to exercise it off at my calorie burn rate as opposed to Christopher's! :incazzato: He is twice my weight and 7 inches taller and gets the gift of being able to burn calories twice as fast doing the same cardio workout. :incazzato:

I guess in-n-out on the west coast is at least higher quality than McD, but I'm not sure that it's healthier.....

That's an accurate assessment. A Double-Double has 670 (delicious)calories, 41 g of (delicious) fat, and 1440 mg of (delicious) sodium.

Back