The Best Little Flying Club in Texas

At the rates listed. My yearly flying as sole owner of my Bonanza would be about the same as joining that club. My numbers are based off of being hangared at Signature at KSAV. Granted, I have more initial buy in costs. But I don't have a perpetual $120/mo payment, have to take a vote to update the GPS nor answer to 5 officers.

Since I moved out of KSAV and shaved $3,000/year off my hangar bill and. $2.00/gal off my fuel bill, I think I come out much cheaper.

At the rates listed. My yearly flying as sole owner of my Bonanza would be about the same as joining that club. My numbers are based off of being hangared at Signature at KSAV. Granted, I have more initial buy in costs. But I don't have a perpetual $120/mo payment, have to take a vote to update the GPS nor answer to 5 officers.

Since I moved out of KSAV and shaved $3,000/year off my hangar bill and. $2.00/gal off my fuel bill, I think I come out much cheaper.

Good points all, BUT not everyone has the financial ability to jump in the owners pool from from either the entry fee perspective or price to stay in the game or both. If you end up with metal in the engine. It's on you in the club situation that risk is spread out.

If you're flying more than about 100 hours a year then you're probably better off owning. Having said that, our club is shared ownership, nobody is making a profit, nobody gets a salary.

The $120/month covers the fixed costs for 3 airplanes in 3 Signature t-hangars, insurance, taxes and other fixed costs. The same perpetual costs any owner pays. The hourly rates includes roughly $25/hour that goes into the bank to pay for overhauls and off-station fuel reimbursement at Signature price per gallon. Sole owners can choose to defer that cost until overhaul day finally comes.

Our club has very few rules, basically follow the FARS. We don't "answer" to anyone.

You're right about the frustration that comes with having to get a bunch of pilots to agree on what to upgrade, where to base, etc. That's the big downside of shared ownership.

Last edited:
Even so, Jim, your group has a rocking deal for the Austin area.

Back