THE ANSWER for data on demand while traveling! Virgin offers MiFi was pay as you go!

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
iPad and iPhone owners now have another alternative for mobile broadband. Virgin Mobile has added the MiFi, a portable cellular router that acts as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, to its pay-as-you-need-it broadband service. Virgin charges $149.99 for the device without a contract. You can purchase mobile broadband in increments as needed.

Virgin Mobile offers four prepaid data plans: $10 for 100 MB consumed within 10 days, while 30-day usage plans cost $20 for 300 MB, $40 for 1 GB, and $60 for 5 GB. There are no overage fees; you simply add another time-limited plan, just as AT&T does with 3G iPad service offerings. Unused data expires at the end of the period. Virgin Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint Nextel, operated as a separate entity, and uses Sprint's network.

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11396

Another great device to toss in the plane or flight bag. Like with most services, I would hate to have to pay monthly when I only needed it during flying season.

PSSST. You could get this with an iPod Touch and make VOIP calls or non-3G iPad...

Re: THE ANSWER for data on demand while traveling! Virgin offers MiFi was pay as you

Nevermind. You'd have to be able to get good Sprint EVDO reception and that ain't gonna happen in the boonies.

Re: THE ANSWER for data on demand while traveling! Virgin offers MiFi was pay as you

Nevermind. You'd have to be able to get good Sprint EVDO reception and that ain't gonna happen in the boonies.

Actually...

My parents live in the boonies (little hamlet in Upstate New York -- population 218 last time I checked), and I get very decent and usable EVDO (-75dBm to -85dBm neighborhood, according to the BlackBerry's "Status" display), maybe a quarter mile down the road from them using my Boost Blackberry, which works on Sprint's network.

I get no signal at all in their house or on their property, however, which kind of mystifies me because they're actually at a slightly higher elevation than the point down the road. Sprint's coverage map claims that neither location should have usable signal. Maybe it's the high-tension lines.

If I ever find a place on the property where I can tap Sprint's signal, I'd like to install a directional antenna and an amp and cancel their crappy satellite Internet.

-Rich

Last edited:
Back