The 6th Checkride: A multi-engine write-up

Z06_Mir

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Radna
Back in August my crazy self decided that I should get my multi. I knew of a guy with a Seneca II and since I really preferred not to fly a Seminole I went for it. I really wanted to find a 310 but that didn't happen. I flew a couple times and then the airplane was tied up for a bit with a couple other students (ATP guys primarily) and then I flew a couple more times and was just finishing up for the checkride when the airplane went into 100 hour. Something that normally takes a couple days took a few weeks, and I had work commitments so I wasn't able to fly right when it got out. I'd rescheduled with the FAA inspector (free, and no DPEs could do the ride in a Seneca except him) twice and decided that I'd just take a few days off work and finish it in a hurry when I had more time. So that's what I did. I flew almost 6 hours in two days after not flying for a month to get ready. Those may have been the most 6 six hours of training I've ever done. It was like I never stopped flying, even the single engine stuff wasn't hard it was just... fun.

So today I showed up to the airport at 0730 to grab the airplane from its hangar, bring it up to the FBO and such. Went and grabbed the logs, nothing out of the ordinary. I had done the weight and balance the night before. I did my initial CFI with this inspector so I was familiar with what he liked and didn't like. We went over all the paperwork stuff and we were on our way right at the 0800 start time. We both had copies of the PTS and he was just going right down the list. We talked extensively about the de-ice system in the Seneca and briefly touched on the prop system and braking system. I explained the electrical system pretty well thanks to my notes.
During my explanation of the props I mentioned since they are counter rotating in the Seneca is there is no critical engine. "Why is that? What causes an engine to be critical?" So we discussed those aerodynamic principals a bit before we went into Vmc discussion. What if the airplane is heavy? Is Vmc higher or lower? What determines the published Vmc speed? What are the dangers of Vmc? How are you going to demonstrate Vmc to me today?
Then we got out the performance charts and I showed him my weight & balance at both flight start and after a 2 hour flight. We talked about how CG effects Vmc (see a pattern here?) and what zero-fuel weight means and why the Seneca has one. I showed him our one-engine climb today (300fpm!) and our single-engine service ceiling for the day. That was all he cared about. So went went into talking about how the flight would go, what he was required to have me demonstrate and his expectations.

Fifty-four minutes after we started the oral we were walking out to the airplane.

He was very interested in the preflight so I spoke with him and I went along and he asked a few questions "How many quarts of oil do we have? What's safe to fly with on these? What works best for this airplane?". We finally got in the airplane and he realized he wanted a pillow.. so he jumped out and grabbed one while I got the foggles ready, plugged my headset into my iPad (Yes, I fly with music even on checkrides) and he came out. Started right up taxiid down and I asked the tower "You want me a A1 or A2? we'll have a long run-up" because I've taken the time to get to know those guys in person and they said they appreciate it. The inspector was super impressed that I would think of something like that. Runup was good, just kept talking as usual through everything.

Takeoff he requested a short field, no problem. Flaps 25* rotate at 61 and climb at 69 till we're clear. I go out onto the runway and add my power when the airplane is not cooperating, one rudder is "stuck". So I slow back down (I knew he was blocking a rudder to simulate thrust on only one side) and he said "Good job you can have your rudders back." Okayyyy. So I start to take off again this time we get into the air successfully. Out to the south we go climbing to 3,500 AGL. Clearing turns then commercial steep turns. Then slow flight into a power-off stall. Clean up the airplane and power-on stall. Vmc demo. Accelerated stall and oohh look emergency descent time! I drop the gear, come down at gear speed and level off. He put the foggles on me at this point and I head for the direction of the IAF. I'm wondering why the blasted airplane is SO SLOW. I've got 30 inches a side and I'm not even doing 120. Gear down. Three gear. DOH. I knew I'd have to say something to put it up so I just said "Whoops. Looks like I left the gear down. Better than up!" and put it up. He laughed because he didn't notice either. Get to the approach, get cleared for the RNAV 14 (with LPV) and what do ya know that darn engine "quit". Managed to do a decent approach to an awesome right-on-the-money landing. Did a normal takeoff and as I'm on final he says "That learjet that just landed, pretend he didn't get off the runway" so I go around. Positive rate, gear up. This time he says it's a full stop and he wants a short field. So I'm set up on a nice approach at 80kts and 40* flaps (Seneca lands very well at 25, 40 not so much) and I landed on my point with a bounce... Might be the worst landing I've had in it since my first lesson. But I recovered fine and the inspector didn't seem phased by it.

Pull back up to the FBO and he gives me the good news. A pass! The 5th in a row, I was so excited! We do the paperwork and chat for a bit about flying with an instructor of mine (he didn't do my multi though) and I said I'll be back one of these days for my MEI. He gave me some areas he liked and some areas I could improve on. Overall a positive experience with the FAA again and with flying a twin. I had so much fun in the training and the flying. The Seneca is a nice airplane (though nothing will ever replace my Lane) and not a bad trainer.

And that is my story of how I've managed to take and pass 6 checkrides since my first one June 2012. I'm coming up quickly on my 3rd anniversary of my intro flight. Where has the time gone?!

Last edited:
Didn't sound too difficult. My oral was 25 mins.. maybe I got lucky.

Winds were gusting 25+ so I warned him of why I won't be climbing so close to the stall speed. On my short field, he mentioned about a 50' tree on the threshold and wanted me to put it on the numbers. Thank goodness the Duchess has tailing-link gear.

Congratulations!

Congrats! I hear the multi add on is a pretty easy ride. I plan on doing my CFI first then multi add on.

Congrats! I hear the multi add on is a pretty easy ride. I plan on doing my CFI first then multi add on.

Why not do MEI and instrument instructor in the same plane at the same time? Or CFI and MEI at the same time? Save time and a little money.

Why not do MEI and instrument instructor in the same plane at the same time? Or CFI and MEI at the same time? Save time and a little money.

It doesn't work that way. You could do your MEI and CFII at the same time I suppose. But if you do your MEI first you can only instruct in twins. If you do your CFII first you can only instruct in a simulator. If you do the cfi first you can at least go work your way through the CFII and MEI.

Or CFI and MEI at the same time? Save time and a little money.

Can't do "CFI" and "MEI" at the same time. "CFI" (using the common term) really means "Certificated Flight Instructor - Airplane Single Engine". MEI really means "Certificated Flight Instructor - Airplane Multi Engine".

The checkrides have many completely different tasks. For example, the single-engine CFI ride requires things like chandelles, lazy 8's, power-off 180-degree precision landings and engine failure scenarios, and requires a single-engine aircraft. The multi-engine ride, of course, mostly stresses one-engine-inoperative tasks.

Back