Display Name

Display name:
Gear I load in my flight and headset bags:

$600 iPad 2
$100 WingX on the iPad
$100 Dual Bluetooth GPS
$450 Zaon MRX PCAS
$250 Pacific Avionics ANR Headset

The kneeboard, charts, and pretty much everything else amount to the proverbial drop in the bucket, money wise. Thank goodness I'm a miser at these things, compared to some of you! :wink2:

Last edited:
Yikes... Why am I doing this?

Bright line bag $130
Lightspeed Zulu $720
DC ANR old pair from ebay $275
iPad 2 $730
Galaxy flashlight $30
Pulseox $35

$1950

Damn.. I didn't think of it that way in terms of costs.

$950 David Clark X11's (bought in Australia when just out)
$740 Ipad 2 3G 64GB
$900 GPSMap 296 (Aussie prices for superceded model when the 396 came out)
$480 Sarlink PLB
$280 David Clark 10-20's
$80 Dual Bluetooth GPS
$79 Foreflight

$3509

My flight bag.

AOPA Headset bag $FREE
Minnesota Airports Directory $FREE
Minnesota Airports Passport $FREE
Misc. ball point pens & pencils $FREE (from Oshkosh)
E6B Aluminum version $26.95? (hard to remember)
Twin Cities sectional map $10
Lightspeed Thirty 3G headset $275
HTC Evo 3D phone with Naviator installed $179.99 + $19.99

Total $511.93... give or take.

For my passengers:

David Clark H10-13.4 with Oregon Aero upgrades $230
David Clark H10-13.4 $100
David Clark H10-30 $50

Total $380.

Zulus $900
iPad $900 (1st gen 64g 3G)
396 w/xm $1000
Flashlight $40
Strobe $20
Logbook $Priceless

$2860

I've got a few headsets for passengers too, but I typically don't bring those with me.

Prescription sunglasses $450
Prescription glasses $300
Used garmin 196 $300
Lightspeed Zulus $850
ipod touch $200
iPad 32gb 3g $720
Zaon $350
Total $3120

And people wonder why I grab that bag out of the airplane when we go to lunch.

Really - it's the glasses I really worry most about.

Wait- you mean I should have included the software (ipad, 196) and the 3 headsets for pax?

I have a pretty firm policy against toting-up the money tied up in, or spent on an ongoing basis for, flying. It is simply not a healthy thing to do.

I rent, there is always the $60-$90 flight extinguisher in the bag.

I have a pretty firm policy against toting-up the money tied up in, or spent on an ongoing basis for, flying. It is simply not a healthy thing to do.

Yup, that.

I'm building my RV, and I honestly don't know how many dollars I've got in it, or how many more I have to go, and I don't care. I know what equipment I want in it, and I'm not about to stop building in the middle just because I hit some magic number that makes me flinch. That go/no-go decision was made the day I placed the order, now there's no turning back.

Mine can top $2k pretty easily. But the most valuable thing, to me, is my logbook. If I'm going flying after work, my flight bag comes in to the office with me. I'm not leaving that out in the truck.

Egads, I didn't want to think about this, but...

Brightline Bag. $130.00
Lightspeed 30-3Gs $450
Lighting (flashlights and liplights) $100
Pulse Ox $100
Garmin 96C $495
ICom A24 $400
ACR PLB $400
Leatherman $50
GPS data logger $100
Misc stuff $100.

That's 2 AMU, and doesn't count the cost of the charts, or the other three headsets and the scale and the.... in the "big" leather flightbag.

Shoot, when I'm headed out on a trip, the flight gear is worth more than the car I drive to the airport.

I invoke the Aviator's Code Of Secrecy, whereupon all Aviators who read this are compelled never to share this information with my spouse.

Flight Bag from flight Safety - Free
DC 10-13x - $250 (15 or so years old)
Fuel Strainer - $10
Sectionals & Class B's - $50
Clipboard - $20
Pad of Paper - Borrowed fro work
AFD - $10
Flashlights (2) - $10
Stopwatch - My Grandfathers

There used to be a time when you would walk away from your airplane at any airport and leave the door or window open or in my case the canopy open. Now with 5000.00 worth of stuff in the open cockpit, 496 W/XM antenna, Bose, Zulu, Ipad and all the other misc stuff in your bag, you just can't do it anymore. Also we were just talking about how it used to be an on your honor thing about stealing at the airport, never happened. These days you hear about things getting stolen from planes and cars that are parked at the tie downs while the plane is up flying.

So for now it is lock the canopy and put the sun shade in the window while you go in for the 100.00 burger.

Mike in NJ

You're making me want to go outside and grab my stuff out of my car or at least call my renters insurance and update them on all the new items. I haven't had my car broken into in a long time but it could happen. I keep everything in the car since I'm a forgetful person and I don't want to get to the airport for a flight and realize I left my medical / headset / whatever at home.

I now have an iPad in the bag and of course the log book is priceless but I don't fly with it (it does live in the bag however).

Back