That MS Flight Simulator Video of the C172 at CYTZ Making the Impossible Turn?

tlglenn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
Several years ago there was a live safety seminar featuring a video of a MS Flight Simulator recreation of a Cessna 172 taking off from the Toronto City Centre Airport and suffering an engine failure while over the water. The video had several scenarios and outcomes depicted.

Anyone remember the name of that seminar or where to find that video online?

I went up with a CFI this morning in a C182 and I tried it using a simulated runway at a high altitude. We "failed" the engine at 800 feet above simulated ground altitude. I pushed the nose down sharply and tried about 60 degrees of bank which got us turned around fast, but with only 200 feet to spare (depending on distance from the runway that might not be enough). I want to send the CFI a link to the video since he hasn't seen it and I can't remember what the video said about glide speed during the turn.

Several years ago there was a live safety seminar featuring a video of a MS Flight Simulator recreation of a Cessna 172 taking off from the Toronto City Centre Airport and suffering an engine failure while over the water. The video had several scenarios and outcomes depicted.

Anyone remember the name of that seminar or where to find that video online?

I went up with a CFI this morning in a C182 and I tried it using a simulated runway at a high altitude. We "failed" the engine at 800 feet above simulated ground altitude. I pushed the nose down sharply and tried about 60 degrees of bank which got us turned around fast, but with only 200 feet to spare (depending on distance from the runway that might not be enough). I want to send the CFI a link to the video since he hasn't seen it and I can't remember what the video said about glide speed during the turn.

I tried that with an instructor too, with a 500' drop. we "might" have made it. But at 800' agl wouldn't you have already been crosswind? I would have been about to turn downwind in a 172 or a 140.

We "failed" the engine at 800 feet above simulated ground altitude. I pushed the nose down sharply and tried about 60 degrees of bank which got us turned around fast, but with only 200 feet to spare (depending on distance from the runway that might not be enough).

Next time after pulling the engine to idle, count to 3 or 5 before doing anything. "Do huh what, the engine quit, uh, fuel, no landing ahead, no return to airport."
Remember you have to go past 180 to get to the runway unless it has a parallel then turn back to the runway heading.

And the MSFS 172 (at least the 2004 version) can do near magical things. Lift off, nose up, start the climb, roll 60, pull until it stalls, hold the stall with bottom rudder then return to normal flight without hitting the ground. No way I'll do that in a real plane but it's quite safe in the simulator.

Back