THAT is all you do up there??

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
So here I am at 51 hours. No checkride, haven't taken my written, but I'm 0.9 hours from finishing my required training. I'm scheduling the last bits around weather and my CFI's availability. I know I'll do fine on my knowledge test - just have to knock it out.

In order to stay proficient of course I'm still zooming around solo a couple times a week (while my CFI is out recovering from surgery etc). I'm racking up hours, but doing what I like to do, so it is all good. While I'm doing my solo practice I periodically play with different bits of tech. I'm a software developer with quite a bit of mobile experience, so android and iOS software intrigues me, and I like playing with Google Earth, especially when judging my power off landings in 3d (or as close as my phone's GPS can get).

So I have this up on my PC (scaled down slightly for posting):

landings.png

And now the punchline. My wife leans over, looks at the map, and says "THAT is all you've been doing up there all these hours? That's worse than running on the track!" (for reference, she's a multi-marathoner and a running coach).

/sigh

I try to explain that - no really - flying is hard work!

/sigh

That looks like fun! What are you using for logging all of the courses?

Lastly- good luck on your written, and your checkride, I hope your CFI gets back soon!

So, why haven't you completed the written?
If I was your instructor, you would be banned from further solo flight until the written is completed successfully.

So, why haven't you completed the written?
If I was your instructor, you would be banned from further solo flight until the written is completed successfully.

Maybe his instructors syllabus is like my instructors. I'm at 54 hours, Just finished my last weather module in ground and have not taken the written yet.

51 hours?

Time to take the test and check ride.

I think your instructor is milking you as a student big time.

That is a fascinating presentation.

Best of luck on your check ride - am I correct in reading between the lines that you have had an interruption in instructor availability because of the instructor's medical issues?

I had self-induced interruptions, instructor medical induced interruptions, and extended weather interruptions. I think there were a couple of 4+ week periods where I did not fly. I started my training during August of 2011 and soloed in November. I have 0.9 hours of hood time and then maneuver practice.

Regarding the written, my instructor has certainly been bugging me about it for almost two months, but considering he only just gave me the signoff last week I think grounding me might be a little extreme ;) (I'm self-study). I also know that my instructor is a little *cough* unorthodox, but I sincerely believe that he is not milking me. These guys get paid about $25/hour (the cheapest around town), and I usually give him $35-$40 per lesson. I honestly think he just likes the opportunity to get up in the air, especially when someone else is paying for the plane. I think he is probably more interested in me finishing up than I am.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure I'll be back to say how I did.

Judging by Chris's aviator picture I would say he is a little young for his check ride. He may be waiting for his 17th birthday to roll around. :)

Cute pic........:thumbsup:

My CFI wouldn't let students solo without taking the written first. I don't know how common that is, though.

That's a nice recording. I keep meaning to record info like that and download it like you did, but once I get to the airport and start pre-flighting, I always forget about it. Just like I take my camera with me all the time and forget to take any pictures.

My CFI wouldn't let students solo without taking the written first. I don't know how common that is, though.

That's a nice recording. I keep meaning to record info like that and download it like you did, but once I get to the airport and start pre-flighting, I always forget about it. Just like I take my camera with me all the time and forget to take any pictures.
I have no problems with them soloing before the written -- but I am seriously considering requiring them to take the written before I'll sign them off for solo cross countries.

I didn't complete the written until I had finished all of my solo XC's

For instrument, I took the written about 2 weeks before the checkride.

I spose you could say I put it off but in the end it didn't affect me. I went for the private ride with 40 something hours and took the instrument ride with exactly 40 hours sim instrument time.

That's a nice recording. I keep meaning to record info like that and download it like you did, but once I get to the airport and start pre-flighting, I always forget about it.

Seriously me too. I have very few track recordings. The only reason I have this one is because I popped open Naviator on my phone to last minute re-check TFRs before the flight, and I have Naviator set to record automatically. The funny thing is that I forget to turn it off and I have a bunch of tracks of me driving to work ;)

I have no problems with them soloing before the written -- but I am seriously considering requiring them to take the written before I'll sign them off for solo cross countries.

I think this is truly a fantastic idea, only because I found my XC's quite motivating, and the written certainly satisfactorily demonstrates required knowledge! I think after my dual cross country, I would have knocked out the written just for the chance to do it again.

I would suggest that you practice your maneuvers during this time; turns around a point, steep turns especially the 720. Working on landings is good too, but your maneuvers will be important.

Best of luck,

And now the punchline. My wife leans over, looks at the map, and says "THAT is all you've been doing up there all these hours? That's worse than running on the track!" (for reference, she's a multi-marathoner and a running coach).

/sigh

I try to explain that - no really - flying is hard work!

/sigh

Ground reference manuevers? I am sure that she can understand that you want to practice and stay sharp for the test. Actually, I need to go out and do some of that. I have practiced pattern work and stalls ad nauseum. Need to do some of that basic PPL work and then get started on my commercial manuevers.

Yeah that's what I'll be doing with my instructor shortly. He told me to practice power off / soft field landings. That is what is referenced above.

For future practice I plan on including more PTS maneuvers.

Yeah that's what I'll be doing with my instructor shortly. He told me to practice power off / soft field landings. That is what is referenced above.

For future practice I plan on including more PTS maneuvers.

Oh my bad, I missed that there was an airport under there. LOL. Well then, that is certainly what most of my flying looks like.

Personally I'm impressed with how clean and sharp your turns are. ;)

Personally I'm impressed with how clean and sharp your turns are. ;)
That's an artifact of the GPS sampling I think. I'm not that good...

Incidentally, Google Earth says that my downwind leg is about 0.5-0.6 miles from the airport and that my downwind leg is just under 2 miles long. Seems kinda tight to me. I was going to discuss it with my instructor.

You probably don't know this about me since I've been gone since before you joined...

I'm a major smartass. ;)

I had self-induced interruptions, instructor medical induced interruptions, and extended weather interruptions. I think there were a couple of 4+ week periods where I did not fly. I started my training during August of 2011 and soloed in November. I have 0.9 hours of hood time and then maneuver practice.

Regarding the written, my instructor has certainly been bugging me about it for almost two months, but considering he only just gave me the signoff last week I think grounding me might be a little extreme ;) (I'm self-study). I also know that my instructor is a little *cough* unorthodox, but I sincerely believe that he is not milking me. These guys get paid about $25/hour (the cheapest around town), and I usually give him $35-$40 per lesson. I honestly think he just likes the opportunity to get up in the air, especially when someone else is paying for the plane. I think he is probably more interested in me finishing up than I am.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure I'll be back to say how I did.

Well, en let's take that test soonest!

As for hours, I think the national avg is somewhere between 65-75 hrs for pvt pilot.

Seriously me too. I have very few track recordings. The only reason I have this one is because I popped open Naviator on my phone to last minute re-check TFRs before the flight, and I have Naviator set to record automatically. The funny thing is that I forget to turn it off and I have a bunch of tracks of me driving to work ;)

I think this is truly a fantastic idea, only because I found my XC's quite motivating, and the written certainly satisfactorily demonstrates required knowledge! I think after my dual cross country, I would have knocked out the written just for the chance to do it again.

I have started to track ALL flights, if I can remember. Sometimes they don't work but most of the time they do. I went on a formation flight which made a very interesting track (I was a passenger):

7260993230_d4cdd09107_z.jpg

And as PIC with two POA people in my plane, my most recent "Bay Tour" on a beautiful weekend:

7260975530_8b742a13b5_z.jpg

My CFI wanted to hear nothing about solo until I got my written done.

But yea, few of my flight tracks look the same. But best ones are from practice areas.

A lot of guys will always say,"you should have finished by now" for anything over 40.1 hours. I took in the 60 hour range (holy COW I must be an unsafe pilot!), had fun flying, did a number of flights that only were "educational" for a portion of the flight and fun for the rest. Took the written 2 weeks before the checkride and had no trouble whatsoever.

Fun time adding to the 60 hours included:

1. Going to Class C for light gun simulation.
2. Flying the pattern in a C-152 using only doors and trim (no yolk inputs simulated failed).
3. Flying several huge x-wind days 15G25 (152 remember) as well as huge thermal days.
4. Extra cross country time that wasn't needed.
5. CFI wanted me to at least "see" how to do an ILS (one with and one without foggles).

Total cost in 2007 for the PPL about $6k.

My PPL instructor let me do my first solo, then told me that would be my last solo until I took the written. I took it the next weekend... :yesnod:

My PPL instructor let me do my first solo, then told me that would be my last solo until I took the written. I took it the next weekend... :yesnod:

Me too and I knew this from the very beginning. No second solo until written.

Yup. This is me necrobumping to say that I finally took my written... Ended up with an 87, which I'm not THRILLED with, but it is good enough. Most of the questions I got wrong were pretty stupid (as in, I knew the answer, but made some sort of silly mistake).

Yup. This is me necrobumping to say that I finally took my written... Ended up with an 87, which I'm not THRILLED with, but it is good enough. Most of the questions I got wrong were pretty stupid (as in, I knew the answer, but made some sort of silly mistake).
Darn right it's "good enough" -- you studied 17 points too hard!

I got 92% on mine, and DPE was impressed, told me that very rarely he sees someone in 90's. My oral lasted about 30 minutes. He said that on average, he sees low 80's and high 70's. So with 87, you should be more than ok on a checkride. And according to link below, average score is 84%

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/av...l Statistics for Airmen Knowledge Testing.pdf

I got 92% on mine, and DPE was impressed, told me that very rarely he sees someone in 90's. My oral lasted about 30 minutes. He said that on average, he sees low 80's and high 70's. So with 87, you should be more than ok on a checkride. And according to link below, average score is 84%

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/av...l Statistics for Airmen Knowledge Testing.pdf

I scored in the 90s as well (thought I flunked though). I was super excited. I still looked up the learning codes for the question(s) I missed, printed out all the questions in that section - one code had 34 questions - and studied those since I was told the DPE would focus on what I missed.

I got 92% on mine, and DPE was impressed, told me that very rarely he sees someone in 90's. My oral lasted about 30 minutes. He said that on average, he sees low 80's and high 70's. So with 87, you should be more than ok on a checkride.

Geesh. I got a 98 on mine and my oral lasted almost 2 hours.

I've heard anecdotal non-evidence that suggests that if you do TOO well, they just grill you on everything ;) I had a friend here last year who got 100%...

I probably put in 3ish good study sessions for the test. I think I could have done better had I studied more, but once I started hitting 85-90 on the practice tests every time, it was time to shut my instructor up.

Could be that you did TOO well. Also, my DPE clearly didn't want to go flying that day, and simply rushed through oral. He busted my ride on turn around a point, which he never did for any student before. And when he asked if I want to continue, and I said Yes, he seemed very irritated by my answer. On a retake, he was happier than a pig in ****... go figure.

I posted my checkride writeup before, great read if you want to see how DPE won't check critical PTS items (like stalls, for example)

I have heard that if you score too high, they may grill you because they think you just memorized the test questions, and want to make sure that you really understand the content. I have nothing but hearsay to support that claim, though. I got a 92, which I was quite disapointed with. I don't think that was high enough to trigger such fears in an examiner, but my oral exam lasted a few hours. I did do my check ride with an FAA employee rather than a DPE, though, so that might explain that. Saved the roughly $500 for the check ride though, so I can't complain too much.

My son got a 75 a couple weeks ago. His CFI would not let him to ANY cross countries without his written, he did take him on a dual to AHN, about 50 miles away early on in his training.
As far as the 50 hours, that's probably on the low side of the average for PPL's. I think I was in the 60 hour range, but that was 28 years ago. ;)
I bet the average total time at the time of the checkride is closer to 60 than 40. Pretty hard to get it all done in the minimum allotted time unless it's a concentrated program, 60 days or less. The skills just deteriorate for most people between lessons and with time, weather and money obstacles, most people can't fly 4 or 5 days a week to stay sharp and retain as much as possible.:rolleyes:

Incidentally, Google Earth says that my downwind leg is about 0.5-0.6 miles from the airport and that my downwind leg is just under 2 miles long. Seems kinda tight to me. I was going to discuss it with my instructor.

It looks like you gps sampling rate is not high enough. You patterns look like those odd polygrams because it appears each only have four or so sample points. This may explain your distance errors because the program just draws a straight line between each point.

Those fields look to be a survey standard 1 mile square. So that would make your sampling points 1.5ish miles it appears. If that is so, then your sampling rate is way to low to make useful data. It should be every few seconds at the very least. The less time between points equates to more data. So you have to walk a fine line between highly accurate tracks and high storage requirements to ok tracks and acceptable storage requirements. Also there is a update limit to your gps as your my well know since you know mobile software.

Just trying to help out. :D

Last edited:
Back