Thanksgiving Saturday Breakfast Suggestion -> Sunday

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Guys, this Saturday morning the kids and I are looking for a new place
to get breakfast. I would like to make it an XC flight from KLOM and I am looking for suggestions.

Ineas thinking Kay's in maryland or the Kitty Hawk restaurant at York. Any other suggestions?

Re: Thanksgiving Saturday Breakfast Suggestion

Rob here are my thoughts

1) Kitty Hawk at THV - Good Food reasonable price.
2)Good n Plenty Diner at S37 Smoketown. Good Food reasonable price Plus the kids may get to see an Amish horse and buggy ride by
3)Blairstown. 1N7 Good food reasonable price. short flightN
4)Millville MIV. Great food, reasonable price and WWII museum on the field.
5)Lancaster LNS Been there done that a zillion times
6)Orange County NY. Good food clean
7)Westminster MD EMI Big Dinner about a block from the field Always good stuff
8)Easton MD. ESN food is good pretty flight.
9) Bay bridge is a place I want to go and grab a bit but never been there
10) If CGE Cambridge MD is not to far I hear their food is amazing
11) Oh how could I forget Wyoming Valley. Pancake Hut or somthing like that his right across from the field. about 20 different kinds of pancakes very good pancakes
12)BLM has a restaurant on field but never ate there.
13) Ocean City NJ has got a diner on site that I hear is very good.

I'm really hankering to go somewhere new so if you find a new place let me know.

Rob,
26N - Ocean City is closed for renovations - runway improvements or something like that. Cape May has a restaurant and counts as a x-country from wings. It may not be open this time of year.

BTW - not far enough for x-countries but I've eaten at Flying W and Sky Manor recently. Both were very good.

Rob here are my thoughts

1) Kitty Hawk at THV - Good Food reasonable price.
2)Good n Plenty Diner at S37 Smoketown. Good Food reasonable price Plus the kids may get to see an Amish horse and buggy ride by
3)Blairstown. 1N7 Good food reasonable price. short flightN
4)Millville MIV. Great food, reasonable price and WWII museum on the field.
5)Lancaster LNS Been there done that a zillion times
6)Orange County NY. Good food clean
7)Westminster MD EMI Big Dinner about a block from the field Always good stuff
8)Easton MD. ESN food is good pretty flight.
9) Bay bridge is a place I want to go and grab a bit but never been there
10) If CGE Cambridge MD is not to far I hear their food is amazing
11) Oh how could I forget Wyoming Valley. Pancake Hut or somthing like that his right across from the field. about 20 different kinds of pancakes very good pancakes
12)BLM has a restaurant on field but never ate there.

I'm really hankering to go somewhere new so if you find a new place let me know.

I just heard today that 26N is closed until January. Something about tearing up taxiways and runways to fix some drainage issues.

Here's a NOTAM:

26N OCEAN CITY MUNI
10/117 - AD CLSD. 02 NOV 12:00 2009 UNTIL 02 JAN 12:00 2010. CREATED: 28 OCT 13:24 2009

I guess that is what it means--anyone know for sure what "AD" stands for in "AD CLSD?"

Is it Aerodrome? How archaic!

Edit: Dave--you beat me to it by 1 minute!!!!!
________
starcraft 2 replay

Last edited:

Always up for a breakfast run!

I vote for Kay's......
I have been to WBW but never tried the pancake place across the street.

As a side note for KWBW......There is also THE BEST pizza place a few miles up the highway called Victory Pig. They have weird hours, so a call is always best.

Last edited:

Always up for a breakfast run!

I vote for Kay's......
I have been to WBW but never tried the pancake place across the street. There is also THE BEST pizza place a few miles up the highway called Victory Pig. They have weird hours, so a call is always best.

Mmmm pizza for breakfast :D.

Last edited:

Rob, I second Blairstown. It has a nice little (10 -ish table) restaurant in a picturesque setting. It's a rustic little building. Good breakfast food.

Also, Gary's VERY comprehensive list missed Cherry Ridge 24N I believe). Nice restaurant perched on a hill above midfield. Great view. Friendly folks. Bring chocks, IIRC the ramp is a little hilly.

Wyoming Valley has a busy road to cross before you get to the eats. Not bad, but not fun with kids in tow.

A new suggestion if you don't mind a bit of a walk (about 6 blocks).

KIPT - Don't go to the on feild restraunt. However ask to park on the east ramp just like you were going to the on-feild restraunt. There is a gate there and a phone at the base of the tower to get the gate code for re-entry.

From the tower start walking west bound till you can see streets on the other side of rail road tracks (Near Penn Collage) cross the tracks and take any road north untill you get to Broad street. (about 3 blocks and it is the main road) turn west bound (right). On the south side of the street you will find the Birdhouse. Best Breakfast in Willamsport.

Alternativly, Pre-arrange ground transportation with Ted or I.*

*Not avialable this weekend due to travel.

Last edited:

Rob, I second Blairstown. It has a nice little (10 -ish table) restaurant in a picturesque setting. It's a rustic little building. Good breakfast food.

Also, Gary's VERY comprehensive list missed Cherry Ridge 24N I believe). Nice restaurant perched on a hill above midfield. Great view. Friendly folks. Bring chocks, IIRC the ramp is a little hilly.

Wyoming Valley has a busy road to cross before you get to the eats. Not bad, but not fun with kids in tow.

I'll throw in another vote for Blairstown. I haven't been there in awhile but it was always nice when I went there.

Thanks for the list guys, I am going to just print it out and start knocking them out.

I have done blairstown twice during my training and once since with my parents and I agree, it's a great place to go. I like the fall when the colors are vibrant and the gliders are flying so I can watch from the picnic tables.

I will see how the weather goes, but I have heard such good things about Kays that I will probably head there for brunch if the girls are being good. I may have to take the portable DVD player for a flight that long with them. :)

I'm good with pretty much all the choices presented (although based on experience with these things, I recommend against any off-airport restaurant that's farther than across the street from the ramp). Just pick one and I'll try to be there.

Mary and I are out for saturday. The wx is so crappy I won't be able to pick up 08R until next week (their shop is closed on saturday). I rather have better conditions to "test fly" after annual.

Mary and I are out for saturday. The wx is so crappy I won't be able to pick up 08R until next week (their shop is closed on saturday). I rather have better conditions to "test fly" after annual.

Well that does it looks like breafast is at the Mascellis:D

I just heard today that 26N is closed until January. Something about tearing up taxiways and runways to fix some drainage issues.

Here's a NOTAM:

26N OCEAN CITY MUNI
10/117 - AD CLSD. 02 NOV 12:00 2009 UNTIL 02 JAN 12:00 2010. CREATED: 28 OCT 13:24 2009

I guess that is what it means--anyone know for sure what "AD" stands for in "AD CLSD?"

Is it Aerodrome? How archaic!

Yes, it's Aerodrome. The new Digital NOTAM format has a keyword abbreviation starting the line to indicate what type of 'asset' is affected by the NOTAM:

From slide 7 of this FAA briefing on the new NOTAM format:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot035.jpg
    ScreenShot035.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 104

I'm OK with winds of 280/25G33 on Runway 25, but I'd like to know if the rest of you are, too, or would y'all rather postpone to Sunday when the winds should be a lot less "interesting"?

Just got off the phone with Gary M and he is picking up his plane Sunday afternoon. I would be up for the X-wind practice flying By
myself or with a cfi, but I don't think my kiddos would enjoy the flight tomorrow.

Sunday looks much better, but I can't be at the Airport till at least 1pm.

The guy I safety pilot for out of KILG is going to make the hop to 58M for me to pick up 08R. I will do the extensive preflight, taxi, run up and high speed taxi, then I'll be ready to head out to a late lunch. We should be at the plane around 1:15.

If we're going that late on Sunday, y'all want to meet somewhere closer than 1N7, like GED or CGE or MQS or THV?

MQS sounds good to me. My daughter will like the models hanging from the ceiling IIRC. Been over a year since I landed there too, so I up for it.

Last edited:

NWS sounds good to me. My daughter will like the models hanging from the ceiling IIRC. Been over a year since I landed there too, so I up for it.

Going to MQS, that works. As soon as I get some laps above the pattern I'll head to Chester County. I might make a slight deversion to pick up Mary at ILG, she's not sure if she is going or not. Mike will either take the Cessna there or make the hop with me. Nothing in stone yet.

Last edited:

Sounds good to me! Allison and I will see you then.

Rob + Ally
Gary M
Mike
Ron
Jim R
Dave

pretty good! I am going to try and get to the airport as soon as I can this morning (we overslept for church) so I might hit Deck or Zerby to qualify some XC time.

I have to leave at 3:15 to be back at wings in time for a
project.

See everyone there!

Thanks all for a nice lunch get away......I am so glad to have 08Romeo home again!!!!

Attachments

• 08R 11.29 001.jpg
    08R 11.29 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 08R 11.29 002.jpg
    08R 11.29 002.jpg
    947.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks all for a nice lunch get away......I am so glad to have 08Romeo home again!!!!

Gary,
You've got a great airplane - stealthy too :D. Best of luck with it.
Dave

And thanks again, Gary, for organizing this. Only question is how long it's going to take Jim to digest that mountainous open-faced Reuben.

And thanks again, Gary, for organizing this. Only question is how long it's going to take Jim to digest that mountainous open-faced Reuben.

Digest? Heck, I'm ready to go back for another one!

Had a real nice time, guys. Great way to spend an afternoon.

Jim

Thanks goes to Rob...it was his idea for this get together. Had fun, always great to sit and hangar fly with you guys.

Had a good time too guys! Glad Jim got to meet up with us, been trying for a while, and he saw 110 knots on the way home! I have a few photos on my iPhone that I will have to post tomorrow after I download them.

Ally has really taken to being around the planes and had a good time too. We went back to wings and Andrew (flyersfan31) spoiled her and
Bella (Becky and her mom met us there) by letting us into the Matrix! Andrew was kind to help us out with a video sequence for the church childrens play.

Back