Thanks to the guy departing GEV today...

NC Pilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
NC Pilot
I was flying to Ashe County GEV today and since there were scattered clouds in the area elected to do the GPS 28 appoach into the airport. As I was heading to Hopkn to start the approach I heard a plane departing GEV call for his instrument clearance. I can't remember the full tail number, but it ended in CC. Atlanta Center did not have his flight plan on file, and told him to hang on. I continued my appoach. A few minutes later NxxxCC asked if he would have to refile, at that time Atlanta Center gave him a squawk code and told him to stay VFR. He was then radar identified and was told there was a plane making the approach to Ashe County (me) at his 11 o'clock. He said he was looking. Told me the same thing to which I responded that I was solid IMC and could not see him.

He was then given a 20 degree right turn to avoid me and was again told to remain VFR to which he responded "20 degrees right and and can you please hurry up the clearance, I'm already in the soup"

WTF? This butthead departs with clouds in the area, without a void time, busts into clouds and expects Center to hurry up with their clearance and could have potentially hit me!!! Soon after that I broke out and was about to say something, but Center was busy and I just canceled.

I've checked Flightaware and since his flight plan was not there and the orgin of his flight is a point in space rather than GEV, he cannot be found.

Stupid people who almost cause me harm really make me unhappy.

Don't lose a lotta sleep over him. Eventually he'll try the same thing in the ADZ and end up spread eagled.

Coming outta the hostpial this AM I was nearly killed by a lady who DOES NOT STOP AT STOPSIGNS. I followed her up the main drag and she blew through three of 'em.

I was flying to Ashe County GEV today and since there were scattered clouds in the area elected to do the GPS 28 appoach into the airport. As I was heading to Hopkn to start the approach I heard a plane departing GEV call for his instrument clearance. I can't remember the full tail number, but it ended in CC.
Do you recall the type airplane. I know a guy who owns an airplane ending with CC and flies in this part of the country, and this is just the kind of thing he'd do.

Do you recall the type airplane. I know a guy who owns an airplane ending with CC and flies in this part of the country, and this is just the kind of thing he'd do.
No I don't, but there are a lot of people from Florida buying property up around GEV. If you know the tail number and his flight today started around the NC/VA/TN border it was probably him...

I'd love to know.

No I don't, but there are a lot of people from Florida buying property up around GEV. If you know the tail number and his flight today started around the NC/VA/TN border it was probably him...

I'd love to know.
I checked FlightAware and it doesn't show him flying IFR for several months.

At least he was talking to ATC. I had a flight where I was in the soup, total IMC, I get a call from Rockford approach that there is a plane at my 11 and 2 miles squawking VFR! It was some guy who took off from Poplar Grove Airport and he decided to climb through the clouds to get on top with only a VFR clearance. What a dork!

It was some guy who took off from Poplar Grove Airport and he decided to climb through the clouds to get on top with only a VFR clearance. What a dork!
I agree totally. Thing is we both could have had a bad ending to the day due to the poor planning/decision making skills/stupidity of another pilot.

Back