Thanks, Kimberly!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This is what rocks about P of A. Because of this forum, we knew that Kimberly (a regular here on P of A) was going to be volunteering at the Reno Air Races, which we were planning to attend. Because of this, we started off PMing, which evolved into texting and phone calls.

This, in turn, evolved into hanging out at the races every day, with Kim introducing us to her "bosses" at the race (can you be a boss when you're a volunteer, too?), which led to a seemingly endless series of invitations to after-hour parties, the closing awards banquet -- and ultimately the development of a strong and lasting friendship between my wife, Mary, me, and Kim.

To say that Kimberly "made" the Reno Air Races for us would not be an understatement. Her "behind the scenes" introductions made this year special, indeed -- and she's now making plans to join us at Oshkosh 2013!

Thanks, Kim -- you're the best!
:D
Sent from my Nexus 7

Kimberly won't like OSH. Not enough going on, and too boring. Experimentals and all, just too boring. ;)

Kimberly won't like OSH. Not enough going on, and too boring. Experimentals and all, just too boring. ;)

She will love it! For one, she won't be working like a dog in the radio room, day after day, while the rest of us were enjoying the races! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

I am looking forward to one day meeting Kim, and I am pleased to learn that her kindred spirit served the Regal and Serene Clan Honeck well.

I need some beach time.

Oh, and while I'm thanking people, kudos must go to EAA for providing a members-only chalet in the pits area at Reno.

To have a shady place with comfy chairs and free refreshments (including strawberry slushies) in the intense heat, dryness, altitude, and many miles of walking was a GREAT members spiff.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Kimberly is awesome. I got to meet her at her home aerodrome in Petaluma. Words are tough to find to describe how great she is.

It sounds like you had a great time Jay. I will just admit I'm just a tad jealous.

I love my POA pals. Stories like this reaffirm my faith in people... Well, at least AVIATION people, anyway.

Kimberly needs her own business doing trip planning and such. I bet she'd be very successful at it.

Thanks for the post Jay. I look forward to meeting Kim some day. Of course, it sounds as if she has such a low energy level, that she never goes anywhere.:D

Oh, and while I'm thanking people, kudos must go to EAA for providing a members-only chalet in the pits area at Reno.

To have a shady place with comfy chairs and free refreshments (including strawberry slushies) in the intense heat, dryness, altitude, and many miles of walking was a GREAT members spiff.

Sent from my Nexus 7

did it have a white picket fence?

She will love it! For one, she won't be working like a dog in the radio room, day after day, while the rest of us were enjoying the races! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

What? She was busy keeping the carpet in place on the floor? That's the kind of work that my dog does...

Sent from the schools Fujitsu Laptop.

Kimberly's good people, as they say... well... somewhere, I forget where. Hope to finally meet her in person one of these days.

did it have a white picket fence?

Actually...yes!

Here's a picture of Mary enjoying some EAA hospitality:

557408_430705666965333_32620567_n.jpg

Another view from inside the chalet:

393277_430978223604744_1150605999_n.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:
What? She was busy keeping the carpet in place on the floor? That's the kind of work that my dog does...

Sent from the schools Fujitsu Laptop.

She was working in the radio room, handing out and receiving handheld radios from the 6 bazillon workers who needed them. By Day 2 she could swap out a battery pack in the blink of an eye. I watched her do it! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

This is a great pic of Kim and her "boss" at the show, John. They were our hosts at the awards banquet, where this was taken.

You simply couldn't find two more positive, upbeat and fun people to hang out with! I wish we could've taken both of them home with us!

644312_431792160190017_662797278_n.jpg

Glad you had fun, Jay. Sounds like a wonderful time.

Jay, good to meet you and Mary at the BBQ. It was fun talking with you guys. Your place sounds very nice. We will definitely be making the trip down to check it out. Sounds like you had a great w/e, too.

It was nice to meet Kimberly, too. I didn't have much of a chance to talk with her, but she seemed very nice. Definitely energetic and enthusiastic. Thanks for working with John on the BBQ, it was a fun time.

Also, met some other great people, Diverrick, Howard, Carl, and others. Jerry was very generous and just an overall great guy, as usual. Thanks, again.

We spent Sunday in the Chariman's tent. Great place to watch the race. Food and drink included in the price of admission. Race teams and pilots were coming and going all day. We'll definitely do that again!

Great w/e. Nice tribute to those that lost their lives in last year's tragedy. Very moving ceremony. Read the names of each of the deceased and released a white ballon for each, followed by a moment of silence.

Long live the Reno Air Races!

Therein lies the reason we were there. After last years tragedy, I felt compelled to attend, if for no other reason than to provide moral support.

From a selfish standpoint, I was also worried that I might never get to see such a spectacle again. I mean, really, how much longer can we expect to see highly modified World War II fighter planes thrashing it out at tree-top level over the desert in Reno?

It was a wonderful week (it was great to meet you, and John cooked a heckuva feast!), and I urge every pilot to attend the races next year. Attendance was down about 30% this year, according to people "in the know", and I suspect that is financially unsustainable. We need to support them.

What I love most about Jay is that he did not post the bad stuff.

On Sunday, after many nightly gatherings, both he and I woke up (him at the Sands and me at the Nugget) with a painful sore throat. By the end of the day, it had worsened to a stuffy nose, aches and pains, and major sick.

By Monday (and now Tuesday), both of us were useless. I went to work this morning and they sent me home. I am still very sick but plan to go in tomorrow.

I probably gave it to Jay (sorry) but the question remains, who gave it to me?

Anyhow, I've thanked Jay and Mary many times for all that they have done for me. We literally hung out almost daily (it didn't hurt that they had no car and I sometimes drove them to their hotel at night, about a 20 min drive from the races).

In addition to me liking them, everywhere I took them people wanted them to come back. All people could do was rave about Jay and Mary!

Great people, and I'll say it here: a 20-30 year marriage - so happy to see - they get along great and act like pals. I told them both how awesome that was, for me to experience that. Most of the other pilots I hung out with were either complaining about their wives, or divorced, or getting a divorce, or on their second or third wife. There was even a sign in the radio room complaining about women (NSFW so I can't post it here).

I am looking forward to one day meeting Kim, and I am pleased to learn that her kindred spirit served the Regal and Serene Clan Honeck well.

I need some beach time.

If you have met the Honecks, that only leaves us one degree apart (I think).

Kimberly is awesome. I got to meet her at her home aerodrome in Petaluma. Words are tough to find to describe how great she is.

It sounds like you had a great time Jay. I will just admit I'm just a tad jealous.

Way too nice, considering we didn't even fly. Then again nobody flew that day with those crazy winds. (I was going to take him and his buddy up flying in my plane while he visited from out of town).

I love my POA pals. Stories like this reaffirm my faith in people... Well, at least AVIATION people, anyway.

I was just telling my boyfriend how the WINGS fly-in and now this (Reno Air Races) are like "adult summer camp".

After making life-long friends at WINGS and RARA, I can't even imagine what Oshkosh is like. I didn't even think about work and it was like being in another universe. Even without getting in a plane, it was really great. I'll have to start another thread to mention how I got to go to (and inside) home pylon. (The finish line)

Kimberly needs her own business doing trip planning and such. I bet she'd be very successful at it.

I do a lot of travel / itinerary planning for my boss at work (though I don't travel myself). In previous jobs with more employees, I would be the event planner. I help run events (small) that my family puts on as well.

There isn't a lot of money in that business and it is a thankless job filled with stresses. I think I'll stick to my corporate world for now, but thank you.

My latest thing is I'm trying to join the Coast Guard (Aux Air). It will take about 1-2 years to get fully qualified and buy my first flight suit, but that's OK.

Thanks for the post Jay. I look forward to meeting Kim some day. Of course, it sounds as if she has such a low energy level, that she never goes anywhere.:D

Funny thing is that Jay and Mary flew to Reno from Texas. When are you leaving Texas? Do you plan to go to OSH?

Kimberly's good people, as they say... well... somewhere, I forget where. Hope to finally meet her in person one of these days.

Just let me know when you end up in the Bay Area, which I'm sure will be one day in the future. I'll take you on a flight, should be super fun.

Jay, good to meet you and Mary at the BBQ. It was fun talking with you guys. Your place sounds very nice. We will definitely be making the trip down to check it out. Sounds like you had a great w/e, too.

It was nice to meet Kimberly, too. I didn't have much of a chance to talk with her, but she seemed very nice. Definitely energetic and enthusiastic. Thanks for working with John on the BBQ, it was a fun time.

Also, met some other great people, Diverrick, Howard, Carl, and others. Jerry was very generous and just an overall great guy, as usual. Thanks, again.

We spent Sunday in the Chariman's tent. Great place to watch the race. Food and drink included in the price of admission. Race teams and pilots were coming and going all day. We'll definitely do that again!

Great w/e. Nice tribute to those that lost their lives in last year's tragedy. Very moving ceremony. Read the names of each of the deceased and released a white ballon for each, followed by a moment of silence.

You need to remind me where in CA you fly. My goal is to try and arrange a few "fly-ins" per year. The Shelter Cove one recently was a lot of fun. We ended with a bonfire (but I forgot the marshmallows) and everyone brought a "date". Fun / romantic getaway weekend fly-in.

I was just telling my boyfriend how the WINGS fly-in and now this (Reno Air Races) are like "adult summer camp".

After making life-long friends at WINGS and RARA, I can't even imagine what Oshkosh is like. I didn't even think about work and it was like being in another universe. Even without getting in a plane, it was really great. I'll have to start another thread to mention how I got to go to (and inside) home pylon. (The finish line)

Adult summer camp with so much to look at, you forget you're on a three mile hike just to get to something you thought you wanted to see when you started walking... ;)

Sometimes you get there, sometimes you don't. You might get distracted by something more interesting, or just stare in awe at a line of warbirds all lined up in the sun for ten minutes, looking over every rivet, bolt, paint chip. No schedule. Just airplanes.

At night, if you can't find some pilots to talk to and enjoy their company, you are either dead or a hermit. Haha. Now having done Oshkosh a few times, my favorite activities are...

1. "Sitting on the beach". My friend Doug introduced me to this. Sitting right up against 9/27 in the corner, with a comfy lawn chair, maybe a cold drink, certainly a camera, and probably a radio. You get to see everything you've ever seen in any magazine, make a takeoff or a landing in front of you over the course of a few afternoons doing this.

2. Hanging around at night and finding people you know from online or wherever and saying hello. I have to thank Kent for introducing me to this and showing me how you can just wander the airport at all hours. So different from anything else... Ramp full of planes in the square, dark, just wandering around in the dark. No sense of "why am I on a ramp in the middle of the night?", you just feel like you belong there. Then you wander over to Scholler and there's a hubbub of parties, kids on bikes, people walking and talking, and not an unfriendly person yet.

In Scholler last year, when it rained, the mud was so sloppy in the roads that you'd sink up to your ankle. You do that with a normal crowd, imagine the complaints and bitter comments you'd hear. Out there, folks just hopped from dry spot to dry spot or walked between camps carefully and made their way to wherever they were going. Very little whining or complaining. It's just, amazing.

North 40 for the first time this year, blends a bit of both of the above. Airplanes lined up in row after row, always some activity of people going to and fro, and parties kinda mixed in the whole thing at various intervals at night. Out where the mass arrival groups are camped, there's big tents with sound systems and folks gathered around chatting, etc... Again surrounded by rows and rows of their airplanes. If you see a plane you have a question about, strike up a conversation and even if it's not the owner, you'll probably get an answer. If not, the owner will be by eventually. :)

It truly is just kinda magical. Same vein as you describe, adult camp, but there's a signdicant number of kids around riding bikes and things, and the ever-present school busses on the road and trams further in being pulled by tractors, all running until late taking folks places... And rolling again in the morning.

And the occasional wild thunderstorm. And Mosquitos. I'm not kidding when I say one particularly bad mosquito bite JUST finished healing. (My legs were wrecked this year. Feet too. Something was quite wrong with my trusty walking shoes, but the bugs got me this year along with a heat rash.)

Here's how cool it is. If my legs had been attacked that viciously at home, I'd have been grumpy. At Oshkosh? Never. It's that easy to ignore.

And mornings! Oh, that's awesome too. You haven't lived until your wake-up call is a thundering formation takeoff of whatever radial-powered airplane you can imagine, departing early to get the perfect morning sun angle shots with a photo aircraft in tow for the takeoff and climb out. Or a P-51 roaring overhead. I'm no morning person so I still wake up a little late by Oshkosh standards, but the sounds! Best alarm clock ever made.

You just have to come... Hell or high water. It's one of those few times you say, "You just have to be there" and it's not cliche'. And you have to stay on the field. Weather, bugs, and all.

You just have to come... Hell or high water. It's one of those few times you say, "You just have to be there" and it's not cliche'. And you have to stay on the field. Weather, bugs, and all.

All I can add to that is a heartfelt "amen".

Oshkosh is the best place on the planet.

Sent from my Nexus 7

What I love most about Jay is that he did not post the bad stuff.

On Sunday, after many nightly gatherings, both he and I woke up (him at the Sands and me at the Nugget) with a painful sore throat. By the end of the day, it had worsened to a stuffy nose, aches and pains, and major sick.

By Monday (and now Tuesday), both of us were useless. I went to work this morning and they sent me home. I am still very sick but plan to go in tomorrow.

I probably gave it to Jay (sorry) but the question remains, who gave it to me?

"Sick" doesn't begin to cover it. I am NEVER sick (I have never missed a day of work in any job, ever), but this bug is wicked. I'm still working, but at a very low level (like, "if you need me I will be in that chair over there.") and feel like Rare Bear just hit me going 504 mph (which Strega hit on Lap 1, BTW).

At least the worst of it seems to be over. But what makes this interesting (and fits in with some of the other posts here) is that both Kim and I were so wrapped up in Reno that we barely noticed we were getting sick. It wasn't until we left that aviation heaven that we collapsed into a Nyquil coma.

That is how cool Reno is!

Sent from my Nexus 7

:DDo you think you'll still be friends once you clue her in about being a republican?

I still don't think that Kim exists.......

Back