Thanks for the Email (Spam)

Ed Guthrie

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ed Guthrie
Well, either POA isn't guarding the member emails quite as well as AOPA did, or someone on departure from the AOPA webboard grabbed my email address and fanned it to the spammer's wind. Whereas my junk email address (the one I use here) would normally get 1-3 spams a day passing whatever filters Yahoo! applies (and they do seem to have fairly potent spam filters), my email address now gets 20-30 spams a day. The volume change coincided with the webboard shift +/- 1 day.

What kind of guards you folks have on the emails listed on this site?

I have my yahoo address on this site as well. I have noticed no change in unfiltered spam since this site opened. I guess one to five spams a week get through to my inbox there.

And I agree that Yahoo's spam filters are generally very effective. I don't think this site is the source of your problem.

I got bunches of crap, spam and viruses, on the address I used on the AOPA board. I use the same address here, but the spam has stopped. Most of the email I got was from email addresses used by webboarders. I remember getting one almost daily from one of Chuck's defunct email addresses, just because Greebo something or other stood out. Needless to say, those members weren't the ones sending the mail.

Keep in mind that the recent outbreak of several mailing trojans has inundated a lot of mailboxes, including several of mine. I wouldn't pin it down to one particular site. Anyone who is infected and has your e-mail address in their address book could be the culprit, too.

Brian Austin said:
Keep in mind that the recent outbreak of several mailing trojans has inundated a lot of mailboxes, including several of mine. I wouldn't pin it down to one particular site. Anyone who is infected and has your e-mail address in their address book could be the culprit, too.
So Far, So good over here. No trash....

Steve said:
What is it with USC students sending so much mail?????:dunno:
More often than not, the person infected is not the one seen as sending the mail. Instead, the trojans actually harvest e-mails from the address book (or other places) and appear as sending from THOSE addresses. Further confusing everyone, when the viruses/trojans are caught by a server before hitting the receiver, they get bounced back...to the person who didn't really send them.

You wouldn't believe how many phone calls I'd get about these types of issues...usually from salesmen who have their e-mail addresses all over the place.

Brian Austin said:
More often than not, the person infected is not the one seen as sending the mail. Instead, the trojans actually harvest e-mails from the address book (or other places) and appear as sending from THOSE addresses. Further confusing everyone, when the viruses/trojans are caught by a server before hitting the receiver, they get bounced back...to the person who didn't really send them.

You wouldn't believe how many phone calls I'd get about these types of issues...usually from salesmen who have their e-mail addresses all over the place.

Someone, somewhere with my work address has a virus. I keep getting returned mail saying mail I sent couldnt be delivered. I never sent it, have no viruses or tojans. (I check daily) nor does any one here at work.

Flyboy said:
Someone, somewhere with my work address has a virus. I keep getting returned mail saying mail I sent couldnt be delivered. I never sent it, have no viruses or tojans. (I check daily) nor does any one here at work.
Yup. Classic symptom of someone else's infection.

Very little you can do about it. Sorry.

bbchien said:
So Far, So good over here. No trash....

I can't see any particular increase in spam over what I got before. I filter a little less right now, but no new sources from this site. Guess I could set up a honeypot and see what happens.

Ed,

Sorry this has sat so long. I was on vacation and unplugged for the most part.

I highly doubt that the email information came from here but to be certain, please forward a handful of the most suspicious emails to support@pilotsofamerica.com and I will see if I can glean any info from them.

We keep our database pretty tightly locked down, though, and emails from members to members are only sent indirectly - the sender never sees the recipients real address to my knowledge.

Still, I'll look into it.

CH

Greebo said:
Still, I'll look into it.

CH

Chuck, thank you. I really was willing to take Brian, et al's word for it that the list is secure, but I'll send you a few of the better ones (or should I say the ones that have a discernable commonality?).

Ed

Back