Thanks Adam and Ron!!

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Thanks, Adam, for putting together a nice BBQ! Had a good turnout, and my family enjoyed themselves.

Thanks, Ron, for putting on your "what's under the cowl" clinic! I learned lots of stuff I needed to know.

Ditto - Nice to put faces with names, unfortunately I usually remember one or the other seldom both. Is it true next time Ron will speak to barbecue fire management?- Thanks again Henry

Joe Williams said:
Thanks, Adam, for putting together a nice BBQ! Had a good turnout, and my family enjoyed themselves.

Thanks, Ron, for putting on your "what's under the cowl" clinic! I learned lots of stuff I needed to know.

I'll second that, Joe!

It was great to meet a bunch of other PoA boarders.

Cap'n Ron gave a great talk, but seemed uncertain whether to put out Adam's grill fire with the fire extinguisher or his soda, finally opting for the soda...

Here's some pics...

YEH Thanks Ron had a good time, and i think everyone like the burgers and dog and my Smoketown Tee-shirt Dave G

Hey, it looks like you guys had some good (well-cooked) food and a great time. We should put Ron in charge of fires at Gaston's, too; looks like he kept his cool. ;)

Could somebody tell us who is who in the pictures?

Last edited:
Diana said:
Hey, it looks like you guys had some good (well-cooked) food and a great time. We should put Ron in charge of fires at Gaston's, too; looks like he kept his cool. ;)

Could somebody tell us who is who in the pictures?

I'll step up for public humiliation and proof that I am poor with names. Pictures are numbered left to right, top to bottom. People are named left to right with indexing notations:

Picture #1:

Over Ron Levy's (red ball cap) shoulder - Kath or Katherine (Mass.)
Ron Levy (red ball cap)
Adam (blue jeans/green shirt/green ball cap)
unknown (apologies to Bob B., who I mistakenly claimed this was, plus whoever it is, who's name I still can't recall)

Picture #2:

Ed Fredrick (Michigan)
Dave Gaiskey (Harrisburg, PA)
Jim Gratton (Smoketown, PA)
unknown (same edited apologies as above)
Bob Levy (fire extinguisher)
Fran Levy (note the matching hats)

Picture #3:

I should know, my apologies.
Ed Guthrie (blue shirt, back to camera)
Ron Levy (diet Coke & fire extinguisher)
Toby & Katherine (duet on fringe of picture, Katherine is back to camera)

Picture #4:

Ron Levy
unknown because I can't see enough details behind the coke fumes/smoke

Picture #5:

Fran Levy
Arnold Feldman (arms crossed)
Katherine
Jim Gratton
Adam

Picture #6:

Arnold Feldman
unknow (same edited apologies as above)
unknown (more apologies)

Picture #7:

Ron Levy (read the name tag if unsure)

Picture #8:

Dave Gaiskey (behind fence)
3 unknown (more apologies)
Joe Williams (I believe, hat & red shirt)
Kathy Williams and son (seated on ground)
Jim Gratton
Adam
Toby
Katherine
Elizabeth Gehman (behind fence, under umbrella)
Ed Guthrie (same)
Ron Levy (back to camera, hand on prop)

Picture #9:

Ed Frederick
unknown (woman in red blouse)
(from here it is the same as picture #8 above)

My apologies for and to each and every one of the unknowns. I know I should know the names but my memory just won't produce them.

Last edited:
More pictures! More stories!

Looks like you had a blast!
Elizabeth

Adam:

Thanks for all the work in setting up the fly-in! A good time had by all!

So much for weather forecasting, glad it wasn't called off. Was great to meet and greet!

Gary

EHITCH said:
Looks like you had a blast!
Naw, as the pictures show, we managed to avert the blast. But Fran and I sure had a good time, and Duke is definitely ready for Gaston's. See y'all at FDK in three weeks or Gaston's in six.

Today was so great!!! There is nothing like feeling crushed and shattered and defeated by the weather and then seeing it clear up, right before your eyes! :-D

I headed out to the airport, Kath was flying down IFR anyway, and we were going to have a boring grilled cheese sandwich in the diner on the field, spin around on the stools, look out the window and mope. Instead we got to go to Wings. The FBO let us use their overhang and their grill. What else? Phil Boyer and some other guys in suits walked by, but didn't join us. I didn't see my friend from our FSDO. We had amazing hamburgers and hot dogs (or maybe we were just starving). I guess you could say they were Blackened Burgers (hehehe). I am still stuffed.

The weather was perfect for flying. Katherine and I heard some funny things on the radio. Here's one:

Pilot: New York Approach, Cessna NXXXX.
NY: Whassup?

Somewhere over Trenton we realized we hadn't gotten our watermelon! I thought about turning back, but we really had to get home. :)

Adam, thanks for setting up this phenomenal day and for slaving away at the grill. Make sure you have the RIGHT kind of fire extinguisher next time. Thanks, Ron, for the educational component! It was so much fun meeting more of you who I've known online. Ed F., I can't BELIEVE you flew from Michigan for a cookout. Glad you came.

I have a bunch of pictures in my camera -- will post them on the board in a little bit.

A few random photos from today, for your viewing pleasure. Katherine went a little overboard taking pictures of JFK Intl., but I include here a representative sample. I look very severe in that one photo, don't I?

I was hoping to get a group shot -- next time, at the second annual Wings Fly-B-Que.

I'm am soooooo happy Toby got to go. I really mean it, I was quite distressed after reading her post featuring &*##! and #!*#@ and the %$***# about the LI wx.

So everyone there was because of the innernet? How cool is that?

I would definately like to see more pics, if possible.

Richard said:
I'm am soooooo happy Toby got to go. I really mean it, I was quite distressed after reading her post featuring &*##! and #!*#@ and the %$***# about the LI wx.
:) ..

I'm not sure I've ever seen a weather forecast be more wrong than the ones today. In the morning, all the dire predictions for :lightning::lightning::lightning:, 1500-foot overcasts, cats and dogs and fish falling from the sky... it all just never happened and it was clear and smooth all day. And so Toby and I got to go to this really cool event after all, after agreeing on a no-go in the morning. Wow! What a day! Never cancel a plane reservation until you're sure you won't want it... Adam, I don't know who you had to bribe to hold off the frontal system for an entire day, but it must've cost a lot more than $8. Ed, I still can't believe you came all the way from Michigan. My friends think I'm crazy for flying 100 miles for lunch... but this is an order of magnitude crazier! :D Ron, you're (once again) my hero, and your cowl talk was enlightening, even to a renter. Maybe I should even say "especially" to a renter, as I'm not likely to learn this stuff any other way.

Toby is an excellent pilot, BTW. :yes: In case anyone was wondering. :D

Those who attended the event know this already (because I shreiked about it somewhat in excitement) but today was also extra-special for me because I got to use my new IFR rating for the first time, through a real cloud and everything, and all by my lonesome. I broke through an overcast layer and flew between two cloud layers for a while... it was so otherworldly in there that I half expected to see methane-based Jovian life forms to be floating around.

What a day... I'm going to sleep well tonight...

--Kath

kath said:
Ed, I still can't believe you came all the way from Michigan. My friends think I'm crazy for flying 100 miles for lunch... but this is an order of magnitude crazier! :D

--Kath

I think it will take awhile for Ed to respond to that with all the jet lag he is going to have when he gets back :)

The BBQ sounded like so much fun. Hopefully soon us midwest pilots will have a (another) fly-in.

Last edited:
Iceman said:
I think it will take awhile for Ed to respond to that with all the jet lag he is going to have when he gets back :)

The BBQ sounded like so much fun. Hopefully soon us midwest pilots will have a (another) fly-in.

As Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend!" After scrapping the trip out west I **HAD** to go somewhere this weekend. It wasn't a case of get-there-itis, but a case of gosomewhereitis. I'm still not home yet, Ed Guthrie offered me the guest room, er floor, in his house which is like staying at a Mariott Courtyard. Free wireless internet! The flight over was great. 40+ kt tailwinds @ 9000 helped and no turbulence until I was down around 3000' and to Wings. I decided to take a mini tour of the East Coast and flew down to Cape May, NJ and then cut back across the Delaware Bay. But Kath, it's not quite an order of magnitude - more like a 70% order of magnitude - logarithmically speaking.

Oh, I forgot to ask, being the last one to land...what was my score? Judges?

HEY! The food didn't burn most of you came back for seconds! The FBO building well that's another story! :rofl: The FBO was kind enough to let us use their grill.Unfortunatly they hadn't cleaned it since NDBs came into service. Ironically when it lit up everyone had eaten except ME and I was cooking my own darn burgers ugh!

Seriously first I need to thank Ron for his great presentation " What's what under the cowl" I know many of us learned at least one thing that perhaps we didn't know before. Second I want to thank Gary Shelby for providing his Cherokee, decowling it and recowling it after Ron's talk. I'd also like to thank Montgomery County Aviation the FBO @ wings for being such good hosts. The lent us their grill and picnic tables, they provided a steep discount on fuel and even towed Gary's Cherokee right up to where we had our BBQ so we Ron could do his demo. ( Please remember to give them a good plug on AirNav)

OK so here is the recap for those that couldn't make it. I rush to Costco to buy everything this morning rather than yesterday because I didn't' know until I woke up if I was going to have two IFR pilots and four folks in a car or if VFR conditions would prevail and everyone would come. Toby then sent me a message saying LI NY is in the Goo and she can't make it. ( She has been weather grounded for the past 3 weekends) Ugh.
Mean while I'm in the Philly area and the sky is Blue go figure. So, I'm on my way to Costco and my cell Rings. Its Ed Frederick. He says I'm coming. I'll have a 30kt tail wind and I'll be there in 10 minutes no really 3.5 hours from Grand Rapids MI to Blue Bell PA. I'll let Ed post later and describe his trip WAY TO GO ED!!!
I get home with the food Toby calls and says weather broke Kath and I are on our way. Awesome. Now I'm psyched. I get to Wings @ 11:10 and Gary Shelby from UKT is already there to help. He and my daughter Rachel ( who is also my chief A #1 chartholder and folder) help set up. mean while the AOPA board of directors is at Wings for the Annual meeting. Some of us did attend the meeting. Gary and I are admiring AOPA's Citation on the ramp. Gary remind me that WE own that Citation. Gary pointed out to me exactly which rivet he owns. I showed him the latch handle on the exit that I own.;) Ed Guthrie has a damn nice windshield wiper on the co-pilots wind screen too.
Ron, Fran and Duke showed up first and parked right next to AOPA's Citation. Next from Cecil County MD was Henry and Wyane, Then Jim Gratton and crew, Then Ed Guthrie and Dave they kept on arriving. Poor Toby and Kath hit a nasty head wind and were only doing about 72 over the ground. Toby was so hungry and thirsty I thought she would eat my transceiver.
Joe and Family as well as Bob Ciotti, Bob Bureau and Arnold drove in and Finally Ed Frederick got here from MI. We ate, hung out and got to talk with each other it was really great and although I obviously didn't fly it was a fantastic excuse to get up in the Air.
I know Toby mentioned that she forgot her watermelon, well I forgot to put out the tub of potato salad I bought DUH! so I will be mailing everyone a bowl full:eek:
Of course as stated above Ron put on an awesome presentation and we really enjoyed it. By the way Fran it was nice of you to let him fly home. Ron, when does Duke get to fly? I have posted some photos below. I will try to get some captions or description if I can figure it out.Please forgive me for forgetting some names and slaughtering the spelling of others. THANKS EVERYONE FOR COMING. I can't tell you how great it was to meet you all. Remember to post on Airnav. I'll try to make this an annual gathering.

Below are the photos perhaps one day I'll learn how to post them better here is some explaniation.
The first isGary Shelby decowling his plane

2nd Gary Shelby and my daughter in front of Gary's Cherokee

Ron' Demo #1 L-R are ( Excuse me please if I forgot your name) Ed Fredrick,Wayne, Henry, Bob Ciotti, Bob Bruneau, Cathy Williams's Dad? Joe Williams, Sean Williams, Ron & Toby.

Ron Demo#2 L-Ron, Ed Frederick, Wayne, Bob Ciotti, Henry, Bob Bruneau, Cathy's dad, Jim Gratton, Kath

0760 & 0759 - Gary Shelby Departing
0758- Ron on Climbout
0756 & 0755 - Toby and Kath on Climbout
0754- Ed Frederick & 1121R all the way from Grand Rapids MI
0753-Kath & Toby
0752 Dave Gaisky & Ed Guthrie and Ed's Mooney
0751 Wayne & Henry and N94GF Henry's T-tail Lance from Md.
0747 L-R Wayne, Cathy William's Dad?, Bob Ciotti, Bob Bruneau, Joe Williams (Cathy and Sean seated) Arnold Feldman, Jim Gratton, Toby, Kath , Ron
0746 Ron's Cheeger R22RL Next to AOPA's Citation N4GA
0744 - N4GA The AOPA Citaiton we all own. Phil flew in on this.

Last edited:
N2212R said:
Oh, I forgot to ask, being the last one to land...what was my score? Judges?

Are you sure you want to know:D

What a great writeup, Adam. I have to save this one for posterity. Great photos, too. I can even see my cotter pin on the Citation.

p.s. Looking forward to my potato salad.

Last edited:
Great photos, you guys. Thanks.

It looks like you all had a wonderful time.

Kath, congratulations on your "first time" :) Good job!

What no pictures of Ron's Cheeger??? Do you guys realize you got to hobnob with past AYA President Fran Levy? Phil Boyer's a let down compared to Fran!

Glad you got do it and the weather in the northeast finally cooperated! Great pics, sorry I missed it, but its just a little to far for me and the Tiger right now. Maybe I'll make the next one.

Great job Adam!

Thanks, Adam, Ron, Gary and Rachel (if she wasn’t there Adam would not of found the hamburger rolls)

I had a great time looking forward to the BBQ next year. It was nice to put names with faces, now if I could only remember names. I think Ed should get an award for the longest flight. I think that’s a little more then $100 hamburger. Again I had a great time thanks for everything.

(Hats off to the FBO)

Bob

Nice write-up Adam, again, thanks for getting this done, it was a pleasure to help. Just to correct the record, I own the left front strobe light cover screw, I've forgotten who claimed the rivet. Bummer about the grill fire, I would assume that the new Halon extingisher is already on order.

I feel honored that I'm probably the only PoA web-boarder to have his airplane judged "unsafe" by Capt' Ron, an assessment I'll always treasure. BTW, I did fix the discrepency. After perusing the various repair compounds, I settled on "Bazooka Double Bubble". It had the right mix of elasticity and adhesiveness to repair the hole in the firewall, besides the bright pink color really sets a fashion statement when the cowl is open. Hopefully this will meet Ron's stringent requirements. Unfortuately, the source of the oil weep is still unknown. Thank you Wayne and Henry for the mechanical help and advice in re-assembly

I believe that Ed and Toby deserves a round of applause for the dogged determination to make it to the Fly-in, Ed, are you going to post a new trip route map?

It was nice to see some familiar faces again, Toby (glad you decided to make the trip), Henry, Ron and Ed as well as meet some new people. You are dead on about the weather, that forecast was really off the mark!

Can't wait for the next one!

Last edited:
My thanks also to Adam and Ron. Also thanks to all the folks who came from far and near, it was great meeting you. Great pics posted so far. Did I really spend the whole afternoon with my arms crossed?

AOPA and/or senior AOPA folks owned some nice equipment. John Yodice had a Seneca V, Phil Boyer of course was in our CitationJet, and someone had a TBM700, though I do not know who that was.

Anthony said:
What no pictures of Ron's Cheeger???

Check the second to last picture, Ron's plane is right next to the Citation.

Adam, you sure put together a good fly-in. Given that and the fact that I've never been to FDK or AOPA headquarters makes me wish I'd come as well. Maybe next year.

Thanks for posting all the great pictures, I am really homesick for Wings, and seeing the ramp and runway brings back such wonderful memories (discovery flight, first solo, etc). They've gotten a bit spiffy with that picnic area between the FBO and the terminal, however, that used to be tar beach.
Elizabeth

lancefisher said:
Check the second to last picture, Ron's plane is right next to the Citation.

Got it. Thanks Lance.

Ron. Nice airplane. Looks like you have the Lo Presti cowl also. How have the CHT's been on #3 & 4 cylinders? I've heard the Lo Presti cowl can help cooling as well as reduce drag.

Boy I really wish I would have kept up with things like this. It was right in my neighborhood too! Dang, mental note to self: pay better attention.

Bryon

Well Byron and Lance your sure welcome to the next one! Based on the response I have decided to do this this once or perhaps even twice a year. I like to organize things like this. For me its fun to see a plan come off well. It was a big success. I have some Ideas about expanding it as well. Everyone had a good time and the demo Ron put on was a nice touch that you don't get at most fly ins. Next time I will enlist some more assistance perhaps do a few contests if we can get the safety issues addressed. Hmmmmm. I feel a plan developing.

AdamZ said:
Well Byron and Lance your sure welcome to the next one! Based on the response I have decided to do this this once or perhaps even twice a year. I like to organize things like this. For me its fun to see a plan come off well. It was a big success. I have some Ideas about expanding it as well. Everyone had a good time and the demo Ron put on was a nice touch that you don't get at most fly ins. Next time I will enlist some more assistance perhaps do a few contests if we can get the safety issues addressed. Hmmmmm. I feel a plan developing.

What a great job, Adam! I learned about what's under the cowling, AND fire suppression as well :D Really, though, my family and I had a great time and we were simply delighted to get to meet so many of the faces that we chat with here.

I just wish there were not so many cameras. Two things to know, as you look at the many (too many) pictures of me. 1. The camera adds weight. I have been dieting, I swear. 2. When you are a balding, 40 year old white guy, don't stand next to the best looking woman (aside from my wife, who is standing right behind me as I type this and is, of course, the most beautiful woman in the world). ;) Sorry Kath. But so glad you got the chance to get your ticket wet. Your feet were not quite touching the ground until after you got some food. That first time in the clouds is just amazing.

My wife says that we all have convinced her that the board is a safe and friendly place, and she will be signing on in the near future. Damn, have to monitor what I say now...

Ron, I have been instructed to ask you to ask Fran about a book on a sled dog team from Minnesota that our wives talked about. Janet has forgotten the title. She claims it is dehydration, not the fact that she is turning 40 this year, that causes these little memory lapses.

We had a BLAST! We would love to do this again. I think, for flying games like spot landings, we might need a smaller airport. I am sure that we could work something out at S37, after the press vacates the parking lot. That should happen some time in the future, perhaps after a runaway bride shoots Osama Bin Laden in a love nest with Michael Jackson.

Cheers to all. It was really great to meet you.

Jim Gratton

Anthony said:
Ron. Nice airplane. Looks like you have the Lo Presti cowl also. How have the CHT's been on #3 & 4 cylinders? I've heard the Lo Presti cowl can help cooling as well as reduce drag.
Can't tell yet, as the instrumentation upgrade is dependent on sale of the Cougar. However, the oil temps are running WAY cool, down in the 165-180 range. If you looked closely, you'll also see the 6-row oil cooler.

I am sorry that I couldn't make it, it sounds like you had a blast! Oh well - I got the consolation prize of attenting my "nephew"s first birthday party. (Not that the nephew had a clue what was happening, but it made the parents feel good... ;) )

Back