THANK YOU to all of the pilots in here

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
I just want to say THANK YOU to all of you guys in here! I really appreciate that you take your free time to browse the pilot training forums and help us new pilots learn. I can speak for myself and maybe some other new pilots when I say that I know sometimes we ask dumb questions, but we all share the love of aviation and are doing our best to learn. There is so much to learn!

Thank you for the time you take to help us green pilots!

Ahhh we love telling our tales and and “been there done that” moments... I love seeing new folks interested in the craft...

Welcome! it’s almost fraternal like... there’s two types of People in this world: those that can land a plane and those that can’t... the former makes up a very tiny percentage of the world.

my advice for any new pilot:

* get your Tailwheel endorsement- IDC if you’re always going to fly a 172, get it and a few more hours in one. Your landings will be all the better for it.

* Once you have your ticket minimally get in a club, buy if at all possible. Rental only flyers tend to fizzle out, the thrill of zooming around the county dwindles - if that’s all you can do. If you buy - buy one you can afford and more key- afford to fly without constant fear of the fuel bill. That amounts is different for each of us.

* Don’t just chase burgers once ya got your ticket... you can fly a plane! Go fly it SOMEWHERE. Then repeat the last sentence as frequently as you can.

*Dont just fly on perfect days, also don’t be stupid and go nuts with that advice. But if you avoid every crosswind like the plague you’ll fear em for always with no real reason to besides ya cut yourself short... or if you never fly less than severe clear when ya do a trip ad there 5 mile visibility you’ll be “weathered in from the ‘IFR’ weather”

* finally don’t think your alone if you are a student pilot wondering if it’s in you to do this after a few lessons in a row leave you feeling overwhelmed. Lots of us felt that, power through, if you want it you will get it...

Ahhh we love telling our tales and and “been there done that” moments... I love seeing new folks interested in the craft...

Welcome! it’s almost fraternal like... there’s two types of People in this world: those that can land a plane and those that can’t... the former makes up a very tiny percentage of the world.

my advice for any new pilot:

* get your Tailwheel endorsement- IDC if you’re always going to fly a 172, get it and a few more hours in one. Your landings will be all the better for it.

* Once you have your ticket minimally get in a club, buy if at all possible. Rental only flyers tend to fizzle out, the thrill of zooming around the county dwindles - if that’s all you can do. If you buy - buy one you can afford and more key- afford to fly without constant fear of the fuel bill. That amounts is different for each of us.

* Don’t just chase burgers once ya got your ticket... you can fly a plane! Go fly it SOMEWHERE. Then repeat the last sentence as frequently as you can.

*Dont just fly on perfect days, also don’t be stupid and go nuts with that advice. But if you avoid every crosswind like the plague you’ll fear em for always with no real reason to besides ya cut yourself short... or if you never fly less than severe clear when ya do a trip ad there 5 mile visibility you’ll be “weathered in from the ‘IFR’ weather”

* finally don’t think your alone if you are a student pilot wondering if it’s in you to do this after a few lessons in a row leave you feeling overwhelmed. Lots of us felt that, power through, if you want it you will get it...

Thanks, Huckster!

I will take your advice about getting my tailwheel endorsement into serious consideration. When the opportunity avails itself, I will probably take it now.

I actually recently bought a C162 w/low hours and love it. Can't beat about $20/hour for fuel!

Definitely have some trips planned this year! :)

And yes sir, I have no intention of being scared by less than perfect days. I'm currently working on getting comfortable with moderate Xw landings. The C162 is light as a feather so it's really a challenge for me to land it right now in anything more than 7 knot or so direct crosswind. But now that I'm focused on improving my Xw landing skills, I aim to get up to being able to comfortably land it at the 12 knot demonstrated max crosswind pretty soon. I'll probably upgrade to a much heavier airplane in a year or so, at which point is 12 knot crosswind will be much less significant, but I still intend to polish my Xw landing skills while I own this feather of an airplane. It's so unnerving to be uncoordinated and not flying wings level when coming in to the land. Just starting to get used to that feeling now as I've found I can only get away with about a 3 knot Xw in this little C162 with no crosswind correction. Any more than that and the landings get hairy without proper Xw correction technique.

Thanks, Huckster!

I will take your advice about getting my tailwheel endorsement into serious consideration. When the opportunity avails itself, I will probably take it now.

I actually recently bought a C162 w/low hours and love it. Can't beat about $20/hour for fuel!

Definitely have some trips planned this year! :)

And yes sir, I have no intention of being scared by less than perfect days. I'm currently working on getting comfortable with moderate Xw landings. The C162 is light as a feather so it's really a challenge for me to land it right now in anything more than 7 knot or so direct crosswind. But now that I'm focused on improving my Xw landing skills, I aim to get up to being able to comfortably land it at the 12 knot demonstrated max crosswind pretty soon. I'll probably upgrade to a much heavier airplane in a year or so, at which point is 12 knot crosswind will be much less significant, but I still intend to polish my Xw landing skills while I own this feather of an airplane. It's so unnerving to be uncoordinated and not flying wings level when coming in to the land. Just starting to get used to that feeling now as I've found I can only get away with about a 3 knot Xw in this little C162 with no crosswind correction. Any more than that and the landings get hairy without proper Xw correction technique.

the fun part is that per suit never ends. I’m very comfortable with crosswinds in the Skyhawk but I’m still more bothered by them in the tail dragger than I like to be... That just struck me on a recent 2000 mile round trip- that I pegged a couple crosswind landings gusty at that- that where larger than than what I had planned from the AWOS and yet at home I overthink it...

So guess what? It’s time for me to get back out there on purpose and polish what’s there I’ve just been neglecting...

Congrats on the bird too! Become as good of an owner as you can be with just as much care to ownership as flying. Id encourage you to be as involved as you can with her maintenance and upkeep too... it’s good to intimately know your bird and not to think it’s mysterious piece of machinery...

Back