Thank You Sheppard Air

jheyen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
heyen
Just passed my written this morning and wanted give props (no pun intended) to Sheppard Air and thier instrument rating airplane study course. Follow thier directions and there shouldn't be any surprises.

I would definitely recommend them for anyone starting thier IFR training.

I've done Sheppard for my ATP written. It did the job, nothing more, nothing less. Do you learn anything for the instrument knowledge test, or do they just teach you to memorize answers to pass the test?

From going through all of the questions, you really do learn a lot. You are going to cover all the material several times, so it does definitely sink in. While doing my flight training, I've been able to answer the questions my CFII has been throwing at me. Partial panel helped too knowing the lead/lags and timings of standard rate turns.

+1 on Sheppard Air for IRA, helped a lot.

Good to hear. I just started reading all of the correct answers only. Currently through about 600 questions. How many practice tests did you end up taking? The memory aid "techniques" seem helpful.

How far along in training are you?

They're great! Scored 98 on IFR written when I did it.

I took one test, got a 97 and took the actual test a day and a half later scoring a 90. I reviewed the questions I got wrong and must have misread some because they should have been slam dunks. I would say there was only two or three questions I wasn't familiar with.

I'm currently at 11 hours instrument time. So now with the written out of the way I can just focus on sharpening the flying skills.

Way to go! I used them for my ATP and was sold. Wish I would have discovered them sooner!

I used them for my instrument written test also. The study technique they have you use is actually genius. It's called the "Law of Primacy" (or something like that) where the first answer you see is the one that sticks in your mind. They have you go through the whole question bank showing only the correct answers, that way, your mind isn't flooded with 3 different answers for 600 different questions. The only answers you see that first time through are the correct ones.

Highly recommended.

I've never used them for my writtens but I hear good things about Sheppard Air.

I've used Shepard in the past. It's content is good, but it's a 1998 Windows program. Very primitive. You can run it on one and only one computer. It's clearly a dial-up program that has been minimally modified to use tcp/ip.

I'm using Dauntless to study for the CFI tests. It's an iOS app that I can use on my iPad or iPhone anytime I want. Like Shepard, they update the question databases on a regular basis.

I've used Shepard in the past. It's content is good, but it's a 1998 Windows program. Very primitive. You can run it on one and only one computer. It's clearly a dial-up program that has been minimally modified to use tcp/ip.

I'm using Dauntless to study for the CFI tests. It's an iOS app that I can use on my iPad or iPhone anytime I want. Like Shepard, they update the question databases on a regular basis.

Shep has an iPad app now.

Is there any reason to choose PC over Mac over iPad versions of their software?

Although they offer a discount for FII if you purchase IA, if a person intends to do CFII wouldn't it be better to just buy the FII course and then take both exams, saving $10? Or buy IGI vice IA?

Is there any reason to choose PC over Mac over iPad versions of their software?

Although they offer a discount for FII if you purchase IA, if a person intends to do CFII wouldn't it be better to just buy the FII course and then take both exams, saving $10? Or buy IGI vice IA?

I have only used the IPAD version of the software but the main thing is that you can only load it on one device. It was convenient having it on my IPAD because I take it almost everywhere so I could always study when I had a few minutes to spare, my computer rarely leaves the house.

I bought IGI vice IA and then took both of those tests, 98 on IGI and 100 on IA. The only reason I didn't buy CFII and take all three tests was because I didn't know if I would be ready to take my CFII practical within two years before the written would expire.

Is there a time limit for IGI?

The written is good for two years but there is no practical, you just take your IGI written and FOI written to the FSDO or DPE and they issue the certificate. I already had my FOI done, another good score thanks to Sheppard Air.

I am using Shepard Air for IR test and will take in 5 days. Will report success hopefully.

Congrats!!! One IR check in the box for you...:thumbsup: Good luck as yo move forward...:yes:

How long did you study with Shepard before passing the written IR? I took a practice exam today and did poorly only 55% so have a long road ahead of me. The goal is to cram for 5-7 days and pass it!

Following thier program took me about a month. I could only do an hour or so an evening so it took awhile to get through everything, but the pace was fine for me. Slow and steady wins the race.

I have four days off this week to spend all day studying. So hopefully will be enough time to pass the written exam on Sunday.

Just passed my written this morning and wanted give props (no pun intended) to Sheppard Air and thier instrument rating airplane study course. Follow thier directions and there shouldn't be any surprises.

I would definitely recommend them for anyone starting thier IFR training.

What does the Shepard air course cost ?? I'm missing it on their web site .

How long did you study with Shepard before passing the written IR? I took a practice exam today and did poorly only 55% so have a long road ahead of me. The goal is to cram for 5-7 days and pass it!

I studied for a full saturday and sunday, took the test on Monday. Mine was the ATP test but should be the same for the IR. To get the best out of their course, use their method of studying.

What does the Shepard air course cost ?? I'm missing it on their web site .
http://www.sheppardair.com/instrument-rating.htm

On each course page just scroll down.

Following thier program took me about a month. I could only do an hour or so an evening so it took awhile to get through everything, but the pace was fine for me. Slow and steady wins the race.

I also took about a month. Maybe 5-10 hours a week. Got a 97 so I studied too hard.

I studied for a full saturday and sunday, took the test on Monday. Mine was the ATP test but should be the same for the IR. To get the best out of their course, use their method of studying.

http://www.sheppardair.com/instrument-rating.htm

On each course page just scroll down.

So $40 for an airplane correct ?? I saw that if so I just did not think that was right. The sportys course was considerably more to which I've already subscribed to. I'll do both and maybe get through this !!

Shepard Air worked great for me compared to the other stuff I used. Far better than the $200 ground school that I took last year. I only studied 2.5 days and scored a 78. Not as high as I wanted but I was pressed for time and wanted to get it done so that I can finish my instrument training and rating before end of this year. I was scoring 85-88 on the practice tests so it makes sense to get a lower score. One thing that messed me up was that I was an unfortunate FAA guinea test pig with a dozen questions that showed up on the instrument written exam that were not covered by the Gleim or Shepard Air test banks. I sent Shepard Air an email about this to see if they can offer a discount or rebate since they are supposed to guarantee a 90+ score on their website.

Still for less than 3 days study its worth it to get it done.

Scott

I was looking at sheppard air for the FOI's, but it kind of worries me that most people say that they just "teach" you the answers. I feel like if im going to be teaching people how to fly, I should probably know who/what/when/where/why no? Or am i missing something?

I was looking at sheppard air for the FOI's, but it kind of worries me that most people say that they just "teach" you the answers. I feel like if im going to be teaching people how to fly, I should probably know who/what/when/where/why no? Or am i missing something?

Sheppard Air tools are specifically for just that: passing the test. They do not replace ground school (whatever form that takes) which should give you knowledge and understanding.

As such, they are a very useful tool and I think I'll use Sheppard when I take up my IR again. I've got a good foundation of knowledge and can fly the plane pretty well after some 20 hours of instrument flight. But regulations and nav equipment that I don't have and don't use still trip me up on the question bank.

John

It is good for passing the test that is all. Reading the FAA instrument books and the FAR/AIM as well as supplemental books and so forth is required for the real knowledge to become a good instrument rated pilot.

copy. That makes since. I was figuring that it was used to just "pass" the test. Ive already been reading the faa books/etc for all of the info, but i like to study a couple different things so that i can get more "perspective" if you will.

For actual training I'm reading the PIC course Instrument Flight Training Manual as well as Mastering Instrument Flying and Rod Machados instrument pilots handbook. These are great for after the written test. I've already read the FAA books last year in the instrument ground school course that I completed.

Scott

Love Sheppard Air. It's cheap and effective! Did it for my IR and my CAX. It was easy! Scored higher on my actual written then on the practice ones..

Another +1 for Sheppard Air. I've used them 3 times now and my lowest score is a 98. Just took a 125 question test and recognized every answer immediately, and only studied in bits and pieces over a week or so. It doesn't replace real learning, but it does prep you well for the test. Definitely recommend for anyone with a written looming who dreads FAA exams like I do.

Hi there..I have an CSEL+Instrument fr last couple of years and have been flying regularly. Thinking of hitting the books again and getting my CFI/CFII. For I see everyone speaking highly of Sheppard Air. Can anyone comment on their tests on iPad vs. a PC please? is the iPad app pretty user friendly with all the diagram sheets and memory tips etc? I understand and plan to use this just as an aid for the written tests.

I liked the iPad for the mobility. Never had an issue with charts, as they made it easy to flip between them.

One thing that messed me up was that I was an unfortunate FAA guinea test pig with a dozen questions that showed up on the instrument written exam that were not covered by the Gleim or Shepard Air test banks.
Were those validation questions? Did you have more than 60 total questions? If so those questions don't count towards your total score. When you buy the software Sheppard tells you to try to remember the questions and the possible answers and if you do, they will refund your money.

Can anyone comment on their tests on iPad vs. a PC please? is the iPad app pretty user friendly with all the diagram sheets and memory tips etc? I understand and plan to use this just as an aid for the written tests.

The iPad app is good. Not as flashy as Sporty's apps but for $40, they get the job done.

Back