Thank God for Good Samaritans

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
We're visiting our daughter, a 4th year veterinary student, at Mississippi State University. She's in a neurology rotation and can't come home for Christmas. She just told me a story that caused my eye to leak.

Two days ago a SAM (apparently a vet term for a Good Samaritan) found a white Pointer on the side of road. She was emaciated, full of worms and other parasites, and had a broken jaw. She had sores all over her, as if she was just lying somewhere for a long time. The SAM wisely took her to the MSU College of Veterinary Medicine animal hospital, and dropped the Pointer off, along with a check for $2,000, and asked them to treat her. He said that he really doesn't have time to take care of her, but if nobody is willing to adopt her, he would adopt her.

My daughter was thrilled to say that she just had successful surgery to fix her broken jaw. She's a fragile girl, afraid, and she cowers in the corner of her crate in ICU. But she's a gentle soul, and my daughter, as well as the other students who will be there tonight and tomorrow, Christmas Day, will care for her and love on her, and try to make her crappy life into a peaceful one. The only thing for certain is that she won't be alone any more, and especially this Christmas.

They can tell that she was someone's pet at some point, but it will take a loving and patient person to care for her, and it is likely that one of the vet students will adopt her.

If you get a chance, thank all the care givers you know, and especially the Good Samaritans, for taking care of the most fragile in our world.

Merry Christmas.

Stan

Human's treatment of the animals we domesticated, and therefore took responsibility as a species for another, is a direct reflection on our character. Thanks for sharing the story...

We had a "how's it going?" e-mail from our second pup's rescue group this morning... they follow up to make sure the pups really still have a good home, etc... it was good to hear from them...

She probably had a similar life at one point... tied to a tree with her pups in Oklahoma, or so they tell us... she's completely gotten over her various skittishness and frightened behaviors, and now happily growls her little tiny (hilarious) growl and little "woofs" at anyone who comes too close to HER pickup truck... it just makes us laugh out loud when she decides to do that.

She taught the big 85 lb boy how to bark at horses, too... not sure that was the intended behavior we wanted, but it's hilarious to watch them both standing at the fence barking at a horse an acre or two away... who is, of course, completely ignoring them.

That's pretty cool someone did that!! Those doctors and students at MSU are top notch. We took our cat there not long ago and they were great and treated our cat really well. How long are you here for?

I find it amazing that we take such compassion for animals and so little for people.

I find it amazing that we take such compassion for animals and so little for people.

Humans often show great compassion for others, I see it often. Many of us will gladly lend a hand UP to our fellow man, but too often what is desired is simply a hand out. Many times people make their own misery and are simply too lazy to do what is needed to make it better. For those that are trying to improve their situation I have respect and compassion. For those who are too lazy to help themselves I have neither. For those that cannott help themselves we as a society have a duty to assist them. Sometimes helping someone does more harm than good as it often creates dependence and removes the impetus to do for ones self.

Back