TFRs out of hand...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Normally these situations come and go quickly enough so that no TFRs are needed. However, it seems reasonable to me to create a safe work area for the authorities(who will have one or more aircraft in the area, probably an observation and a medevac platform) without having to worry about news media and other aircraft. And given the capabilities of ENG helicopters, keeping them above 3000' isn't really a hardship - they've got lens capabilities that will still give the adrenalin-starved public a good show.

We had a similar stand-off in north metro Atlanta last Thursday. The sheriff requested and got a TFR, probably to keep the news helos out of the area.

This isn't new. TFR's were originally intended more to protect disaster relief and law enforcement operations from intruding gawkers (not to mention keeping intruders out of air shows or military exercises) than as national security measures.

There was one over Chino, California, a year or two ago, which stated in part, "... to provide a safe environment for prison riot." :)

Wouldn't want an unsafe riot. Of course, the question at Chino is: Which prison--men's or women's?

This TFR just popped up for my area: http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_8_1062.html

Does this REALLY justify a TFR? http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/404679.html

What's the idea? Keep the news choppers away?? Somebody barricades themself in a house, and now we have TFRs issued!? I barricade myself in the bathroom sometimes... wish they'd keep the airplanes away while I'm in there!!

Actually that IS a great use of a TFR and fits its intended purpose. VERY temporary and provides a safe FLYING environment.

We had a similar stand-off in north metro Atlanta last Thursday. The sheriff requested and got a TFR, probably to keep the news helos out of the area.

Probably to keep the news choppers away from the police choppers. We've already seen what happens when they can't keep away from each other. :(

Actually, new helicopters can operate in TFRs issued under 91.137(a)(2) if they file a flight plan and operate above the "disaster relief aircraft" (police helos). Ref: 91.137(b)(5)

Back