Tfr

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
How far ahead of time do they issue the Stadium TFRs?

The national Special Olympics are coming to Ames this week, I believe they start on Thursday. about 500 Citations are flying into Des Moines as a result. Anyway, us in the glider club are a little concerned that if they use the stadium they will issue a 3nm TFR, which encompasses the airport. Apparently DSM approach wont be handling VFR flight following so even the guys with radios and transponders wouldnt be able to get out with a clearance over the RCO, gotta be IFR. Glider are specifically prohibited from operating in the TFR, a load of crap IMO. We are considering moving the towplane and gliders to a nearby airport for the big 4th of July weekend of soaring but would have to get the towplane out of there before the possible TFR takes effect. I suspect my best bet would be to just call flight service and see if they know anything. Any other sources you use?

As far as I know, Flight Services might not always be aware of Stadium TFR's and they are under no obligation to notify you of them either. It's one of those things where you just need to know the sporting schedules if you are near a stadium.

crikey, if thats true, wtf are they there for!?

as an aside, everytime there has been a football game, Fort Dodge FSS has known about it.

There is a standing TFR (3/1862) for stadium events effective one hour before until one hour after scheduled events. FSS may or may not include it in standard briefings.

Attachments

• AMES.gif
    AMES.gif
    146.3 KB · Views: 11
Flight services doesn't always know the sporting schedules, so they don't always know what is 1 hour before and 1 hour after... hence the reason they might not mention it.

ya steve, i was just looking for a source of whether or not this is a stadium event. maybe a call to DSM approach is in order, its their airspace.

tonycondon said:
ya steve, i was just looking for a source of whether or not this is a stadium event. maybe a call to DSM approach is in order, its their airspace.

If they've got 500 Citatations coming in for the Special Olympics airlift, I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning to issue something more than the regular stadium TFR, or at least planning to require reservations. Might want to ask about NOTAMs when you call, also. A call to the airfield management to ask about their plans may get you some answers that FSS doesn't have yet.

well the citations go to Des Moines, about 25 miles south of Ames, where the stadium TFR maybe is. Definitely some phone jockeying in order here. hooray

If you look at RTFP you'll see that they just leave the stadium TFRs up all the time. Its up to you to figure out when there is a game or concert or what ever. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Few weeks ago FSS remined me of a TFR over Citizens Bank Park by saying don't forget there is a baseball game today. My response was "Well the Phills are playing so it can't be a baseball game that the TFR is for".:rolleyes:

The NOTAM specifically states that the TFR is for:
ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE IN WHICH A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, OR MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT IS OCCURING

So a Special Olympics even would not activate it anyway. They still could issue a seperate NOTAM for this event, but FSS would know about that.

I'm volunteering to work at the DSM airport during the airlift. I'm hoping to get some pictures of citations upon citations on final to land. Supposed to be landing every 30-60 seconds.

just got an email from glider club president. hes talked to everyone and no TFR is planned so far, I guess the actual olympics dont start until monday so we will definitely have the weekend. by then we should know if we are going to get shut down sunday and can move gliders/towplane somewhere else.

They are there so that EVERY pilot will eventually run afoul of one, and have their ticket pulled.

Once there are no pilots, the threat of airborne attack by small plane will be eliminated forever.

tonycondon said:
crikey, if thats true, wtf are they there for!?

What is the big deal?
The Notam 2/0199 states"ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A THREE NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS/3,000 FEET AGL AND BELOW OVER ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE IN WHICH A MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL, OR MAJOR MOTOR SPEEDWAY EVENT IS OCCURING, UNLESS UNDER ATC CONTROL"

Simply fly more than 3000 agl or under ATC control.
You can also request a waiver. (Probably too late now)

Tony, being on the ground within the three NM ring does present a unique problem.
"WAIVERS TO THIS RESTRICTION CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE FAA WEBSITE AT http://www.faa.gov/ats/ata/waiver OR BY CALLING 202-267-9425."

yes i am aware on being able to fly in/out of the TFR. but since only a few of the club gliders have radios and none of the club aircraft (towplane included) dont have transponders, we are basically shut down on game days. The club has queried before on a way to get us to fly but it is basically a no go.

Back