TFR question

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
When G W Bush leaves office, will he still get TFRs in his honor when he goes up to Kennebunk, ME to visit dear old dad.
I'm supposing that once he's not the prez any more, he doesn't get this rock star treatment, right?
I don't really want this to turn into a political discussion.
thanks

When G W Bush leaves office, will he still get TFRs in his honor when he goes up to Kennebunk, ME to visit dear old dad.
I'm supposing that once he's not the prez any more, he doesn't get this rock star treatment, right?
I don't really want this to turn into a political discussion.
thanks

Prolly not, but who knows? GW invented TFRS so he may invent having one over his head the rest of his life.

Former prezzes aren't getting TFRs now. There is Clinton, Carter, Al Haig, and Bush 41.

That might depend on who the next President is.

I'm not aware of any TFRs sprouting up when Bill Clinton makes a public appearance somewhere.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day we lose that royalty TFR in place over Dick Cheney's house on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Mr. President, tear down that red circle!
-harry

Living near Crawford... I am HOPING that things like P-49 will go away... Time will tell.

There isn't anything over Johnson's ranch - even though LadyBird is all that's left alive. So I'm thinkin' it'll go away.

Living near Crawford... I am HOPING that things like P-49 will go away... Time will tell.

There isn't anything over Johnson's ranch - even though LadyBird is all that's left alive. So I'm thinkin' it'll go away.
It stayed over Plains Jawjuh for many years. I guess Jimmy felt privileged.

I had no clue Lady Bird was still around. I thought she had passed many years ago. Gosh, how old is she now?

http://legalminds.lp.findlaw.com/list/epa-impact/msg05924.html

On January 25, 1971, the FAA issued the Temporary Flight Restrictions Final Rule (36 FR 1467). This rule amended 14 CFR 91.91
(since re-codified as 14 CFR Sec. 91.137) to provide for the issuance of a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) that would implement a TFR over a designated disaster or hazard area.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IBT/is_5_59/ai_105370161/pg_1

In May 1999, the Department of Defense requested that the FAA establish a new TFR category to prohibit outside aircraft from operating near airspace used by aerial performance teams and other military aircraft performing aerial demonstrations. The military's concern was that pilots and parachutists were executing aerobatic maneuvers, operating in close formations and were performing opposing solo maneuvers at high speeds. In these situations, the pilots cannot be focused on watching for the inadvertent aircraft wandering into the performance area. A TFR for such events provides sanitized airspace in which to perform air shows and other training safely.

In response to these concerns, the FAA created a new special event TFR which was published, ironically, on September 11, 2001 and took effect the next month. The new rule clarified that the hazard TFR options could only be used for legitimate ground emergencies, but it also gave the FAA express authority to create TFRs for air shows, sporting events and other special events to protect spectators and maintain a safe flying environment.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/notams_tfr/media/tfrweb.pdf

The term TFRis used generically to describe various types of restrictions within the national airspace system. However, it should be noted there are actually eight types of TFRs used throughout the NAS.

To say that GW "invented TFRS" grossly misrepresents history.

Prolly not, but who knows? GW invented TFRS so he may invent having one over his head the rest of his life.

Former prezzes aren't getting TFRs now. There is Clinton, Carter, Al Haig, and Bush 41.

Attachments

• AC91-63C.pdf
    145 KB · Views: 3
To say that GW "invented TFRS" grossly misrepresents history.

Not only that, but aren't there TFR's for former presidents? I'm pretty sure there's a small Prohibited area over Kennebunkport, ME for GHWB in addition to the white area representing the TFR for when GWB visits.

There is a little restricted area over GHW Bush's house in maine. Pretty small and very avoidable.

I had no clue Lady Bird was still around. I thought she had passed many years ago. Gosh, how old is she now?

94, and other than the motor damage from a stroke several years ago, still alert and active. She's a "tuff ol' bird"!

Well, technically a "Prohibited" area is not a temporary special use airspace, although it can be be temporarily inactive. Most, if not all, TFRs are not included on aeronautical charts.

Not only that, but aren't there TFR's for former presidents? I'm pretty sure there's a small Prohibited area over Kennebunkport, ME for GHWB in addition to the white area representing the TFR for when GWB visits.

Don't misunderestimate his inventoriumness!

TFRs are here to stay. We need to learn to deal with it. Congress likes them, the airlines like them, the military likes them... what's not to like ?

There is a little restricted area over GHW Bush's house in maine. Pretty small and very avoidable.

That would be P-67, a Prohibited Area. There was a similar one over Reagan's ranch while he lived there. I would expect Crawford to get the same. I don't remember there being a P-area over Nixon or Ford's houses, but I just might not have been paying attention.

Regards,
Joe

Unfortunately, as of today, she's no longer left.

Lady Bird Johnson, the former first lady who championed conservation and worked
tenaciously for the political career of her husband, former President Lyndon B.
Johnson, died Wednesday. She was 94 years old.

That would be P-67, a Prohibited Area. There was a similar one over Reagan's ranch while he lived there.
The prohibited areas for President Reagan's properties (Rancho del Cielo near Santa Barbara, and the house in Bel Air) disappeared when he left office. These prohibited areas were only active when the President was there. Even then their dimensions were fortunately very limited, as they were in awkward places for air traffic: The Gaviota (GVO) VORTAC is on the ranch property itself (military support helicopters used to land on a leveled dirt area next to the VORTAC); and the Bel Air house was close to busy Santa Monica Airport.

Long-time Southern California pilots remember the prohibited area over Richard Nixon's San Clemente "Western White House" on the coast just north of the San Onofre nuke plant -- right on a busy G.A. flyway. It too was small, IIRC just a three-mile radius and up to 4,000 MSL. I recall overflying it at 5,500 when he was there one day. This was in the days before Mode C transponders. Suddenly a Huey appeared nearby at our altitude, then upon seeing we were legal, he peeled off and went back down.

Last edited:
Back