Terra TX720 - Reserection

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
The Terra TX720 com radio in my Citabria is dead. My radio guy doesn't work on them - in fact, he's still laughing at me for asking. I'd rather not buy a new com radio for this airplane. Anyone know of a shop that can resurrect this POS radio?

gibbons said:
The Terra TX720 com radio in my Citabria is dead. My radio guy doesn't work on them - in fact, he's still laughing at me for asking. I'd rather not buy a new com radio for this airplane. Anyone know of a shop that can resurrect this POS radio?

FreeFlightSystems in Waco bought the rest of the Trimble line. Dunno whether they will service it, but it might be worth a call.

Good call on FreeFlightSystems Bill. Here's the lowdown for anyone looking at an airplane with one of these "wonderful" radios. The TX720 is no longer supported. Parts are no longer available. No other radio fits the tray or has the same pin out. The TX760D can still be found in used parts bins, and they can still be worked on, but probably not for long. They require a new pin out and a new tray.

In summary, if you have one of these radios (TX720) and it breaks, you'll be in the market for another used one from somewhere or a panel upgrade ($$$).

Carefully remove the Terra Radio from the panel. Lay it gently on the seat next to you. Start the plane, fly to altitude. Once over water, preferable very deep water, open door, gently eject the Terra Radio, watch radio splash in the water. Repeat as necessary.

Anthony said:
Carefully remove the Terra Radio from the panel. Lay it gently on the seat next to you. Start the plane, fly to altitude. Once over water, preferable very deep water, open door, gently eject the Terra Radio, watch radio splash in the water. Repeat as necessary.
Excellent suggestion. Not having a large body of very deep water nearby, I simply put it on the bench and hit it with a five pound hammer. Very satisfying.

gibbons said:
hit it with a five pound hammer. Very satisfying.

Hahahaha, why did I KNOW that was coming!

Anthony, your method reminds me of the old Dave Letterman "roof" tests...

gibbons said:
Excellent suggestion. Not having a large body of very deep water nearby, I simply put it on the bench and hit it with a five pound hammer. Very satisfying.

Not a bad alternative. I've got the Terrra 760 Com and Nav's in my Tiger. They were there when I bought the plane. They are not long for the panel and thankfully I've had flour bombing experience in the Tiger, so no worries on technique. Hmmm, since they are actually seperate units, I think I'll launch one and hammer the other.

Bill Jennings said:
Anthony, your method reminds me of the old Dave Letterman "roof" tests...

I remember those! When Letterman was actually funny. Another solution would be to "shoot it" with any type of firearm or blow it up with some form of explosive.

SCTV, John Candy quote...."It blowed up! Yeah, it blowed up good". :)

I am looking for push button switches for tx 720's. If any of you didn't deep six your Terra's I would be willing to take them off your hands.
thanks

Back