Tendinitis?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
So, I've had this issue with my elbow for about 3 weeks or so.

I actually first noticed it while I was flying - Every time I'd reach up to change something on the panel, there'd be a light "pop" in my elbow. Soon, it turned into a constant dull ache, with motion making it worse and the pops becoming more painful. I also couldn't completely straighten my arm, and if I tried it was a guaranteed "pop" on the next bend. Even lifting up a beverage was somewhat painful. So I went to the doctor, who said (paraphrasing) "It's tendinitis, the popping is a swollen tendon catching on bone. Take 800mg of Ibuprofen 3x/day, it should be gone by the end of the week."

Well, it wasn't gone. I kept taking the IB for nearly 2 weeks before I eventually tapered off and now have quit entirely. It's not as bad, but I still have the occasional "pop". Some people have said that it never goes away. Is this true? Will I ever be able to lift heavy items without pain again, short of some sort of surgical repair?

I hesitate to go to the doc again for fear it'll cost me $300 to have her just say "Well, it's better, just take the ibuprofen for a couple more weeks..."

Any orthopedic types here? Is this really something simple, and will it go away, or do I need to do more? FWIW, I've now had some occasional pain in the opposite elbow, maybe due to using that arm more to compensate for the one that has the worse problem. And it could be completely unrelated, but I've had some pretty bad pain in my tailbone when sitting on anything that isn't highly padded lately as well.

Ideas? :dunno: Any help is greatly appreciated!

"Doc, you gotta figure out what is wrong with me! When I get out of bed, I feel light headed. Then it takes for ever to pee. And when I look in the mirror, I feel like throwing up!"

"Well, I don't know about the first two symptoms, but your eyesight is perfect!"

--- Rodney Dangerfield

Sounds like garden variety "tennis elbow". Oddly, it's mostly caused by repetitive movement of the wrist and thumb. Alieve (naproxin sodium) works much better than ibuprofen, but neither will solve the problem. It may go away on its own, but will likely come back again and last longer. Corticosteriod shot in the elbow gives best relief but only lasts 2-6 months. I'm not a physician. I'm a patient.

A lot of joint pain can be relieved by limiting use for a while and trying to avoid using it so much. Try putting your arm in a sling for a few days? After use try icing it down for an hour. That will reduce swelling. Swelling causes greater friction and more swelling and pain. Easier said than done.

Patient. :D

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to mention. Those velcro straps that go around your upper forearm definitely do help.

My experience is that the condition started maybe ten years ago and was relatively mild. Episodes were short and spaced. I spend a lot of time at the computer and changed my mouse from my right to my left hand hoping this would help. Unfortunately, the condition still returned and got more severe as I got older. When I couldn't lift a glass of iced tea without significant pain, I moved on to the steriod shots. They were great - I just wish they lasted longer.

Doctor....... it hurts when I do this....Doctor said...Don't do that....lol

Start using your left hand for the mouse. Don't bother to reverse the buttons. It will take a day or so to adjust.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back