Tell Microsoft about it.

JohnR

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Grrrrrrrr
When a Windows program crashes and a box pops up asking you to send an error report to Microsoft, does it really do anything? Or is it like pushing the elevator button ten times, thinking it will come faster?

When a Windows program crashes and a box pops up asking you to send an error report to Microsoft, does it really do anything? Or is it like pushing the elevator button ten times, thinking it will come faster?

Microsoft allegedly will take a look if they see the same error reported a few million times. Eventually from such reports come Windows update patches and service packs.

If yours is a onesy with a rare piece of software, not so much.

Sometimes you'll get a link for a hardware or software update for the offending device/software as a response. No guaranteed fixes.

oh i always thought it generated an email that went directly to Bill and he personally fixed the problem pronto

I have never submitted an error report in those cases. If I wanted to report something to Microsoft, I'd take the dump and email it to them personally.

now you're just getting all Willy Wonka on us nick

emailing a dump?

oh i always thought it generated an email that went directly to Bill and he personally fixed the problem pronto

It should send an electrical shock to the person who wrote the defective code that crashed. After x number of errors, it ups the voltage until the problem goes away..or the lights dim across the entire country..whichever comes first.

There is a Microsoft program (I think it's called Win Qual) that developer/organisations can sign up for that will give access to the crash data reported thought that dialog.

The data would be reported back to the person that registered the particular program/dll that crashed... After enough crashed they could fix the issue and provide a patch/upgrade, that can be communicated back to the crash victim when he/she submits the crash data.

I have no idea of how Microsoft uses this for their own applications/code!

I have never submitted an error report in those cases. If I wanted to report something to Microsoft, I'd take the dump and email it to them personally.

You should always sent this info to MS.

It is invaluable in generating fixes.

-Roy (former MS)

Back