Tell me about the Thorp T-18

Keane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErichKeane
I did a search here, and didn't see anything about this plane before, but I noticed an article about them on Wikipedia.

Assuming one were to do an extensive pre-buy, it seems to me that these are quite the deal. All the ones on barnstormers seem to come at less than $30k! In addition, it is a 500nm range, with a 180mph cruise at roughly 8 gph!

Is there a significant downside to these planes that I'm missing? It seems to me that it is better than just about any other 2 seater I've been looking at (though not terribly seriously) performance wise, while still only costing a little more than a 150!

I did a search here, and didn't see anything about this plane before, but I noticed an article about them on Wikipedia.

Assuming one were to do an extensive pre-buy, it seems to me that these are quite the deal. All the ones on barnstormers seem to come at less than $30k! In addition, it is a 500nm range, with a 180mph cruise at roughly 8 gph!

Is there a significant downside to these planes that I'm missing? It seems to me that it is better than just about any other 2 seater I've been looking at (though not terribly seriously) performance wise, while still only costing a little more than a 150!
I've known a couple of happy owners. The only bad thing I might say is that they aren't especially roomy. A tad less shoulder room than a 150. But if you fit, you get good performance at a very low price.

Ron Wanttaja

I guess I have a pretty nice advantage there... I'm 5'9", and 140 lbs. The C-150 is still quite comfortable for me.

There is a 4 seat Throp T-18 (or I really should say THE, not a, since this is the only copy in existence) in the hangar across the row from me. The owner really does likes the aircraft and would be happy to talk to you about it, I'm sure. PM me and I will get you hooked up with Gene.

The numbers you posted look about what he has mentioned for economy, speed and range.

My brother has one - it's a nice airplane. His son learned to fly in it and they've put about 1800 hours on it flying all over the country.

Like any homebuilt - each one is unique - no one builds exactly to the plans.

Downside:
Not much room.
It's a nasty little short coupled taildragger with a higher landing speed (typically).
Many are much heavier than John Thorp (with no "e") intended - it was designed for an O-290 but you will find O-360's with constant speed props, etc... so you are eating into the max G load a bit - it was designed for +6,-3 at 1250 pounds gross – you can probably find one that weighs that much empty…
The early ones had a problem with tail flutter that was fixed with some counterweights and (I think) as stiffener.
It has an abrupt stall, but a stall strip mod is out there to give you a good warning (add it if it does not already have it)
The original fuel cap design has killed a couple people.
There are claims that it is aerobatic – personally I don't recommend it. It's hard to find one that will fly at John's design gross and it is a slippery little thing that will accelerate like no tomorrow if you screw up…

Plus side:
Fast.
Nice to fly.
Small and easy to share a hangar with.
Easy on fuel for the speed you get.
Most have decent panels.
Fast.

There is a T-18 support group http://www.t18.net I would read everything on that site - it includes all of the "service bulletins" for problems that have popped up and a couple of POHs.

There are "Thorp ambassadors" in most states including OR http://www.t18.net/ShowAmbassador.asp?State=Oregon

They are typically glad to talk and/or take you for a ride.

I would get someone who has actually built a Thorp involved in the pre-buy - not just a random A&P...

If you find a nice one, buy it.

One of my colleagues at down in Houston wrinkled the wing of his trying to keep up yanking and banking with the RV's.. he's building an RV8 now.

my dad and i have a friend that has one. i wanted to build a t-18 rather then the wittman w10 tailwind. when i got to ride in it, it had hardly any room in it. and it does not roll very good. but it is a cool little airplane. and fast

my dad and i have a friend that has one. i wanted to build a t-18 rather then the wittman w10 tailwind. when i got to ride in it, it had hardly any room in it. and it does not roll very good. but it is a cool little airplane. and fast

So now you are building the Wittman again... I guess you are using "that other guys " ribs too ??????

Please, give it a rest,, we ain't that dumb kid.

And it is 9 AM in Texas... Shouldn't you be in school ?????

So quick question (more of a general question). I see here: http://www.buyplanesforsale.com/aircraft/thorp/t-18-tiger/2285/ that the T-18 has a 1800 ft landing distance. How accurate is this? And how important is this?

The airport I fly out of is 2400 ft (and I would like to stay there), so that 1800 ft sounds quite long!

It's longer than this one: http://www.t18.net/resources/T-18 orig hdbk.doc - but this one has a 0-290 not an I0-360...
I believe Tom's numbers - he was a flight test engineer at a big aerospace company when he did the test flying on his T-18 - see page 29.

It's a hot little airplane with a small wing - being overweight doesn't help.

So quick question (more of a general question). I see here: http://www.buyplanesforsale.com/aircraft/thorp/t-18-tiger/2285/ that the T-18 has a 1800 ft landing distance. How accurate is this? And how important is this?

The airport I fly out of is 2400 ft (and I would like to stay there), so that 1800 ft sounds quite long!

Just got off the phone with my brother - he said 2600 feet is no problem at all (I see I somewhat mis-remembered the exact length) - 1300 would be no problem with no obstructions - he's been in and out of shorter...

The big thing is the high sink rate with high span loading that leads some people to carry excess speed. He says 80 over the fence is plenty.

Back