....tell me about Aspen

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
So, I see that they have two models. The Pilot and the Pro. Seems as if the Pilot is meant for mainly VFR pilots and the PRO for IFR pilots. From what I've read/seen the differences are all software (lack of flight director, GPSS, etc. in the Pilot model). Here are some of my questions.

1) Could the pilot version be used to fly IFR? Assuming you didn't have an autopilot, etc. Could you use the AI, airspeed, HSI on the Pilot version to legally fly IFR?

2) How does the digital HSI in this thing work? Is it essentially the equivalent of a gyro based HSI that ties into a legacy nav/com?

3) I know that it works very well with the GNS430/530 type systems, but can it interface with any IFR certified GPS (e.g. KLN89B ) If so, see question number 1. Could it be legally used to fly GPS based IFR procedures?

Educate me.

The physical units are identical. One of Aspen's selling points was a pilot could purchase the VFR unit and later upgrade it to the IFR unit simply by purchasing the software upgrade, the cost being roughly the price difference.

The VFR version has an electronic DG only, no HSI feature. The IFR version has an HSI display and can display nav information from up to 2 independent VOR radios and 2 independent GPS sources, selectable on the Aspen, as well as localizer and glideslope indication not found on the VFR version. The VFR version has no VOR inputs, GPS tracking only is displayed on the DG. Both the DG and HSI are virtual representations of the old electro-mechanical DG or HSI driven by an remote magnetometer (somewhat like a slaved DG of old). I'm not sure if the internal accelerometers that drive the upper attitude indicator provide any input to the lower DG/HSI display. With my PRO setup I can display GPS course line and 2 VOR indications simultaneously on the lower display along with a moving map, any of which can be defeated if desired.

For vertical guidance on a GPS approach you'd need a WAAS capable GPS to drive the GS indication on the PRO unit, otherwise I see no reason you couldn't use the PILOT unit to fly GPS approaches using a non-WAAS unit that had the required RS-232 or ARIN 429 interface provided the approach used did not require LNAV/VNAV/LPV capability (Circling Mins on those maybe?). You'd still need the required pitot/static systems checks and separate VOR/LOC/GS indicators I would think, if you didn't have the PRO unit. There are still GPS stand-alone approaches out there, but the LNAV, LNAV/VNAV, RNP and LPV procedures are quickly replacing the stand-alone procedures.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...techops/navservices/gnss/approaches/index.cfm

I have Tru-Trak a/p that couples to the vertical navigation signal of the WAAS GPS independently of the Aspen unit, so I don't rely on the Aspen for coupled approaches, but the Aspen does have the capability of driving an autopilot directly (using a WASS GPS driven input to the Aspen unit) and the company recently announced it was expanding the unit's compatiblity with the range of existing autopilots out there to provide GPS Steering (GPSS) capability to older a/p's.

From their website www.aspenavionics.com

Q: Will the Evolution Flight Display system work with my current GPS?

A: All Evolution Flight Display PFDs are designed to work with dual GPS sources that interface through ARINC 429 and/or RS-232.
The GPS Steering (GPSS) function of the Pro and ATP PFDs is available only when the installed GPS navigator is an ARINC 429-based GPS providing Label 121 bank angle command information (e.g., Garmin 400/500 series GPS navigators).
The EFD system supports both WAAS and legacy GPS navigators. When connected to a WAAS GPS, the EFD Pro and ATP PFDs will display the Vertical Deviation Indicator (like an ILS glideslope indicator) when an APV (approach with vertical guidance) is loaded and active, and the WAAS GPS is outputting vertical deviation signals to the PFD.
The EFD Pro and ATP PFDs can also be configured at installation to display the required WAAS GPS annunciations, obviating the need for external annunciators.

Aspen just announced the following at Sun 'n Fun this week:

Expanded Support for Additional Analog Interfaces
A new Analog Converter Unit (ACU) will add expanded capabilities frequently requested by Aspen customers. The ACU is used by the EFD system to integrate legacy analog systems, such as autopilots and VHF radios, with the all-digital Evolution system. The new ACU will be available in several configurations, depending on the customer’s needs. The first version will add analog XYZ heading synchro outputs to support legacy traffic, weather, and other systems requiring analog heading inputs.
The new ACU will be available by the end of 2009 at a list price under $2,000. Another version, expected in 1Q2010, will add support for dual analog ADF and DME receivers, capabilities in higher demand from Aspen’s international customers, and from US customers operating Class III airplanes.

Autopilot Attitude Reference Source Replacement
The upgrade perhaps most requested by customers is a means to completely eliminate all mechanical flight instruments. Pilots accustomed to flying glass cockpits increasingly want their backup instruments to look like their primary EFIS, making them easier to fly in an emergency, instead of having to revert to an old-style “steam gauge” instrument scan. Moreover, the avionics industry is struggling with shortages of parts and people skills to overhaul these obsolescent mechanical instruments, driving up overhaul costs.
A multi-tube, dual AHRS EFD1000 system is designed to eliminate the need to keep mechanical backup instruments in the pilot’s primary field of view. But since most GA autopilots still depend on a mechanical gyro for their attitude reference source, until the electronic AHRS can serve as that reference the mechanical gyro must remain in the airplane. To date, no GA glass cockpit AHRS has been certified to serve as the attitude reference source for legacy analog GA autopilots.
Aspen is developing an optional upgrade to enable the EFD1000 AHRS to serve as the autopilot attitude reference source, and to replace the mechanical gyros driving popular GA autopilot systems.
The first version of this product is designed to replace the KI-256 attitude indicator, used in the Bendix-King family of GA autopilots, and is expected to be available in the first half of 2010 at a list price under $5,000 (about the cost of an overhaul/exchange of a KI-256). Subsequent versions of this product are designed to do the same for other popular GA autopilot systems.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Last edited:
1. Dunno
2. Works just like a mechanical one, except no moving parts
3. Yes. Yes.

From what I've read/seen the differences are all software (lack of flight director, GPSS, etc. in the Pilot model). Here are some of my questions.

1) Could the pilot version be used to fly IFR? Assuming you didn't have an autopilot, etc. Could you use the AI, airspeed, HSI on the Pilot version to legally fly IFR?

There *is* a hardware difference. Not in the main unit itself, but...

The Pilot version does not have an HSI and doesn't interface to a whole lot. The Pro version *does* have an HSI and interfaces to a lot of stuff. It does this through what they call the ACU (Analog Converter Unit) which is a separate box. That's the hardware difference. OK, since you're a computer guy I guess it should be called a peripheral. ;)

For IFR, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the Pro version. :yes: VFR, well... Who cares?

Can you tell me a bit more about your Tru-Trak and how it plays with the Aspen? Which Tru-Trak unit do you have? I have a Tru-Trak ADI-II that I love (love the ADI, would like more capability in the AP) and have it coupled to a Garmin 430W. If I want to go glass without completely reconfiguring my panel, the Aspen seems to be the best choice. Problem is, they've expressed NO interest in supporting experimental A/P when I've discussed it with them in the past. When Dynon came out with A/P and AP-76 controller last year, I was really excited - a perfect solution. Now that they've killed the AP-76, I'm thinking it would be better to go with the certified Aspen. But now I'm stuck with a lower level of A/P capability unless I want to upgrade there. I'd love to know how your setup is working for you.

The physical units are ...

I have Tru-Trak a/p that couples to the vertical navigation signal of the WAAS GPS independently of the Aspen unit, so I don't rely on the Aspen for coupled approaches ...

Hope that helps answer your questions.

I like to compare my answer to Steve's. Quick, who knows more? :D

Steve's rig is a dream, come true.

Not to hijack Jason's thread, but I have a Tru-Trak Digiflight II VSGV. I chose the "flat pack" version due to limited available panel space. My radio shop connected the a/p directly to the 430W so the Aspen doesn't provide any signal to the a/p. The GPSS button on the Aspen doesn't do anything on my setup. So I can't give any advice on an Aspen-a/p interface. I do like the quasi-independence, though (GPS is still common to both). Plus I have full vac powered panel on the co-pilot's side in case the Aspen dies. Belt & suspenders approach I suppose.

I looked at the Dynon-10A unit early on, but two main things kept me from going that route. 1) At the time the Dynon unit had no vertical guidance indication and I wanted something that supported approaches, 2) I was looking to replace my electric DG with an HSI. To me it was worth the additional the cost to go with the Aspen. I know other owners of my airplane type have the Dynon and are quite happy with it. I also know several builders that have installed the Aspen unit and are happy with it. My shop reports they have one customer that put it in an aerobatic plane and it will need to be "reset" in flight after extreme manuevers, but the unit itself tolerates the unusual attitudes with no permanent damage.

If you have an older "certified" a/p using the Aspen to "drive" it would be an advantage, but the Tru-Trak unit I have is so capable as a stand alone unit (with GPS input) it really wouldn't benefit from an Aspen interface in my opinion. I can't say enough good things about the Tru-Trak unit. From calibrating itself automatically during the initial functional check flight (the Aspen requires "swinging" the compass on the ground) to flying coupled LNAV/VNAV/LPV approaches and smooth GPS steering it's taken a lot of workload out of flying IFR (and VFR). The unit I have also provides "dial in" rate of climb capability and will "hold what you got" when you engage it, which comes in handy after you stabilize your initial climbout manually. My Flightaware flight tracks are much straighter now, too! :)
I probably would have gotten the Sorcerer since it will do coupled VOR/ILS/LOC in addition to GPS approaches, but I just didn't have the panel space without some major metalwork.

I met with the company president of Aspen at Airventure in 2008 after I had had some teething problems with their initial release unit. They prefer to work with their dealers rather than provide direct support, even for "certified" installations, but they were very helpful in resolving some early problems with the unit. There's been a "non-mandatory" software update since then that has eliminated all the glitches I was experiencing. I have the same ADHRs unit as originally installed, but I did go through 3 display units until I got one that operated reliably under all conditions. The problems were primarily with the bus voltage threshold for switching to internal battery and the deck angle of the ADHRS relative to the panel mounted unit. Aspen found that on some taildraggers (and my plane has a fairly steep taper towards the tail, although it is a nosewheel) the ADHRS attitude on the ground was exceeding the unit's calibration limits. That deck angle limitation has since been resolved. I have to thank Mid-South Avionics at KTCL for working through the problems. They support experimental and factory installations and have gone the extra mile to keep me happy. They also did my Garmin stack and the final hookup of the Tru-Trak.

I know a couple of RV-8 owners that built their planes with a hole in the panel to accept the AP-76. Don't know what they're going to do with that now.

Can you tell me a bit more about your Tru-Trak and how it plays with the Aspen? Which Tru-Trak unit do you have? I have a Tru-Trak ADI-II that I love (love the ADI, would like more capability in the AP) and have it coupled to a Garmin 430W. If I want to go glass without completely reconfiguring my panel, the Aspen seems to be the best choice. Problem is, they've expressed NO interest in supporting experimental A/P when I've discussed it with them in the past. When Dynon came out with A/P and AP-76 controller last year, I was really excited - a perfect solution. Now that they've killed the AP-76, I'm thinking it would be better to go with the certified Aspen. But now I'm stuck with a lower level of A/P capability unless I want to upgrade there. I'd love to know how your setup is working for you.

I have the ACU in my installation, but it not required for all installations. If I had only GPS inputs I would not have needed the ACU as my a/p bypasses the Aspen unit. I'm pretty sure it was only needed to connect the SL-30 as a secondary VOR in my case.

from the Aspen website:

The Pro couples to most GA autopilots and flight directors, through its included Analog Converter Unit (ACU). You’ll lose no functionality when replacing your mechanical HSI and ADI, and may gain some. An integral GPS Steering (GPSS) function can drive your autopilot in HDG mode through most GPS flight plan legs and course changes, and even along curved flight paths (like course reversals and holding patterns) when connected to an appropriate WAAS GPS navigator. If your autopilot supports a flight director, but your current attitude indicator doesn’t, the Pro will give you a single-cue flight director that will make your hand flying even easier, more accurate and safer. The Pro delivers all the capabilities a serious instrument pilot needs on his or her primary instruments. And if you want even more, a simple software upgrade will take the Pro up to our highest-level PFD: the ATP.

There *is* a hardware difference. Not in the main unit itself, but...

The Pilot version does not have an HSI and doesn't interface to a whole lot. The Pro version *does* have an HSI and interfaces to a lot of stuff. It does this through what they call the ACU (Analog Converter Unit) which is a separate box. That's the hardware difference. OK, since you're a computer guy I guess it should be called a peripheral. ;)

For IFR, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the Pro version. :yes: VFR, well... Who cares?

I have the ACU in my installation, but it not required for all installations. If I had only GPS inputs I would not have needed the ACU as my a/p bypasses the Aspen unit. I'm pretty sure it was only needed to connect the SL-30 as a secondary VOR in my case.

Does the 430 have some sort of digital output for its Nav radio? And since they say the ACU "comes with" the Pro, do they give you a discount if your setup doesn't need it? :dunno:

Jason- just curious- why are you asking? Do you have something in which to install an Aspen?

Jason- just curious- why are you asking? Do you have something in which to install an Aspen?

Just making plans. :D

What pilot worth his salt doesn't spend his time laying out his next plane? Even if he doesn't know how or when it would be possible.

Back