Telephone Briefing

So in an abbreviated briefing, do they just tell you right away that "VFR Flight is NOT recommended"?

:D

I only ask for an abbreviated briefing after I've checked everything and used DUATS too at home. But, yeah, I'll call them up and listen to what I already mostly know while I'm doing other stuff.

i have gotten lazy in my old age and just glance at fltplan.com so i can say i got something official. i usually already know what to expect based on aviationweather.gov and the MOS forecasts. i usually check tfr.faa.gov to see if there is anything going on

~~~~~Tony, what's MOS?

The problem with an abbreviated briefing is if something does happen, the FAA is going to ask, did you know everything about the flight? If you're on record asking for an abbreviated briefing, then you didn't. You can claim that you looked it all up on your home computer, but without DUATS, its just a claim with no substantiation.

Fltplan.com is a QICP so I brief on their site and then call for an abbreviated briefing for an update on TFRs usually. Since Fltplan.com is required as a QICP to archive the data received and provided for 15 days, I can prove that I did receive all available information about the flight pertaining to weather, NOTAMs, etc. The nice thing is that I can request weather and NOTAMs from my smartphone and it is all archived per the Fltplan.com quality of service agreement.

The last standard weather briefing I received, the briefer proceeded to tell me about every tower and light bulb outage between Connecticut and Michigan. Needless to say it took a while.

Back