Teenage girl wearing a helmet dies in Breckenridge ski accident

Seriously, there is only one time a helmet might be injurious- that time when it reduces peripheral vision and auditory awareness of the snowboarder about to clip you across the calves. Things to think about.

At one time I saw the suggestion that the weight of the helmet
could increase the probability of neck injury in some accident scenarios.
(which doesn't prevent me from wearing my helmet while riding
my motorcycle).

At one time I saw the suggestion that the weight of the helmet could increase the probability of neck injury in some accident scenarios. (which doesn't prevent me from wearing my helmet while riding
my motorcycle).

I've heard that too. It goes along with the argument of the helmet causing hidden brain bleeds that painfully kills you days later...Those comments typically come from harley types or squid racers that wear a doo rags instead of helmets. Additional discussion on the subject with them indicates they are either justifying their desire to not wear crash gear or have been brainwashed for years by those same individuals. Further rational discussion isn't possible because no matter how calm and sensible you are, they resort to screaming and yelling that you're wrong and an idiot and they know they are right no matter what.

I'm calling hogwash on that rumortheory though. Consider that any head hit hard enough to break your neck will have almost certainly have compromised the structural integrity of your skull long before your neck snaps. Personally I've walked away from a fatal head impact crash without a crushed skull or broken neck and had nothing more than a very light headache and a 5 minute trip to the chiropractor for a pinched nerve in my back...and $350 out of the bank account for a new helmet plus about $150 in motorcycle repairs. The rest of the crash gear was just dirty from the dirt and rocks I went through, no damage and no road rash. That was over three years ago and there's nothing wrong with me now that wasn't already there before the crash.

When it comes to it, this is all that you truly need to know about the whole helmet vs no helmet discussion. You don't even need to understand Portugese to figure it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P-1a_e_Yz8

I've heard that too. It goes along with the argument of the helmet causing hidden brain bleeds that painfully kills you days later...Those comments typically come from harley types or squid racers that wear a doo rags instead of helmets. Additional discussion on the subject with them indicates they are either justifying their desire to not wear crash gear or have been brainwashed for years by those same individuals. Further rational discussion isn't possible because no matter how calm and sensible you are, they resort to screaming and yelling that you're wrong and an idiot and they know they are right no matter what.

I'm calling hogwash on that rumortheory though. Consider that any head hit hard enough to break your neck will have almost certainly have compromised the structural integrity of your skull long before your neck snaps. Personally I've walked away from a fatal head impact crash without a crushed skull or broken neck and had nothing more than a very light headache and a 5 minute trip to the chiropractor for a pinched nerve in my back...and $350 out of the bank account for a new helmet plus about $150 in motorcycle repairs. The rest of the crash gear was just dirty from the dirt and rocks I went through, no damage and no road rash. That was over three years ago and there's nothing wrong with me now that wasn't already there before the crash.

When it comes to it, this is all that you truly need to know about the whole helmet vs no helmet discussion. You don't even need to understand Portugese to figure it out:

Note that I said "some scenarios". I think I have should have clarified that these hypothetical scenarios are non-fatal, even without a helmet.

I'm not suggesting that people not wear helmets, rather that we
consider that there are some risks posed by the safety equipment itself.

While I agree with your opinion WRT motorcycle helmets, the video is quite a fake. The hammer never touches the helmet. And chances are the human head moved into the helmet after the fake blow.

I'm not suggesting that people not wear helmets, rather that we consider that there are some risks posed by the safety equipment itself.

Understood and safety equipment does end up killing people on occasion. For the vast majority of crashes though, the gear does more good than harm. Of course there is always the rare person who falls from 33,000ft or does a 100mph highside in their underwear with nothing more than a bruised elbow and skinned butt and lives to tell about it while everyone else in the same scenario is either seriously mangled or dead. For the one off situation, the dynamics of those crashes result in a good thing however the safest bet is to plan appropriately for one of the other 999,999,999 far more likely scenarios happening before that one does. You might possibly break your neck however almost all of those other scenarios involve in either hitting your head or your helmet extremely hard against the moving ground.

While I agree with your opinion WRT motorcycle helmets, the video is quite a fake. The hammer never touches the helmet. And chances are the human head moved into the helmet after the fake blow.

Possibly. The point is still valid though. I've hit an old helmet from a garbage can with a heavy steel bar years ago. The hit didn't visibly crack the helmet however I'm certain it would have seriously collapsed a skull though.

Last edited:
I am reminded of Beeker and the Sweedish Chef.....

Back to the beginning.
Maybe a chest protector and a helmet would have saved the girl.
Now on the fishing, no one that I know of has ever been killed fishing.
Maybe they drowned but thats because they couldn't swim or did not have a life jacket on. They were in the water not the boat, once you're out of the boat you're swimming not fishing:rolleyes:
Also no one ever died from flying ,it's from crashing, that sudden stop from flying. Flying is very ,very safe. How, where ,and when, that creates a situation where you stop flying is what kills you.
People do dangerous things it is up to them to protect themselves and know the risks of what they do.
The only way I feel really bad is when someone else dies because of they're neglect or actions.
Those who die doing things they love to do and knowing the risks involved, well at least they went out having fun or enjoying it.
We're all going to die sometime, in most of these cases people had the choices to make and some chose poorly.:nonod:

I understand the "argument." I just don't see how our parents, our parents' parents, and ourselves lived without using those helmets! Why, we each must have known dozens of people that died from bicycle accidents....

I can think of one, and he was hit by a car so hard, whether he had on a helmet or not, he'd have died.

Oh sheesh, Nick. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't know anyone personally who has had any sort of serious bike accident, helmet or not. I generally wear one anyway - Because I do know of a couple of local accidents where it would have made a huge difference.

I also think that kids today are way too coddled and overprotected, and they're not going to do so well when it comes time to make smart decisions to not hurt themselves.

I am not speaking of stats, I posted this to show what a tragedy this was and that it very well could have been me should I not watch out, this hit home a bit closer than other deaths because I was there at the exact spot the day before and may have met her. I did NOT post this to argue.

The greatest mistake that leads to these accidents is looking at what you're going to hit. NEVER look at what you want to avoid, ALWAYS look EXACTLY where you need to go to avoid it. As a small child in gymnastics, I was taught "Where the eys go, the head follows, where the head goes the body follows" and that has proven to be very true regardless the application. Years later with Ag flying it was "As soon as you see the horizon under the wire, never look at the wire again, pay attention to keeping your height off the deck the same and you will fit. If you look at the wire, you will hit the wire." Same concept has also proven true on motorcycles and many other things.

When I did my California M'cycle endorsement there was one question I got wrong, but actually the state got wrong. The question was (and this was when CA had no helmet law) "Which is most important when riding a motorcycle. A. Glasses B. Helmet C. Gloves" I answered "A. Glasses", they wanted Helmet. I told her that was incorrect. A helmet may help you during an accident, but glasses will help prevent an accident. Safety is proactive, it's best served by knowing how to best prevent an accident.

A helmet may help you during an accident, but glasses will help prevent an accident. Safety is proactive, it's best served by knowing how to best prevent an accident.

Colorado has it right. Glasses are the ONLY piece of safety equipment that you are required to wear on a motorcycle.

Helmets are amazing things. I am a hockey goalie. I've taken a few slapshots off the head, sticks smashed over my head, and while I've felt the force, I've suffered no injury. I'm a believer in a properly-constructed, properly-worn helmet's ability to protect the head.

I wear a helmet skiing. I know the odds of an accident in which the helmet will make a difference are slim. I don't ski aggressively any more, most of my skiing is with my young kids. I wear a helmet on my bike, and my motorcycle too. Why? Because, all things being equal, they could be the difference between a slight headache and a traumatic brain injury. I'm not really into spending the rest of my life as a vegetable, so I'll do what I can to mitigate the risk.

Helmets are amazing things. I am a hockey goalie. I've taken a few slapshots off the head, sticks smashed over my head, and while I've felt the force, I've suffered no injury. I'm a believer in a properly-constructed, properly-worn helmet's ability to protect the head.

I wear a helmet skiing. I know the odds of an accident in which the helmet will make a difference are slim. I don't ski aggressively any more, most of my skiing is with my young kids. I wear a helmet on my bike, and my motorcycle too. Why? Because, all things being equal, they could be the difference between a slight headache and a traumatic brain injury. I'm not really into spending the rest of my life as a vegetable, so I'll do what I can to mitigate the risk.

Wow, I'm not sure anyone could have said that better themselves.

The one time I got hurt riding a motorcycle was when a car ran a stop sign and hit our motorcycle broadside. Helmets are the reason my wife and I survived that incident. And those helmets were retired immediately
My dad and his girlfriend were hit broadside when a car ran a stop-sign about 15 years ago. Neither of them had helmets. She was killed and he was severely injured (head).

He eventually recovered -- although I'm told that he isn't the same that he used to be. His ability to focus / learn isn't what it was. He still gets by fine, and you wouldn't know otherwise, unless you knew him before.

He eventually recovered -- although I'm told that he isn't the same that he used to be. His ability to focus / learn isn't what it was. He still gets by fine, and you wouldn't know otherwise, unless you knew him before.

This is the kind of scenario I worry about.:frown3:

This is the kind of scenario I worry about.:frown3:
Yeah. I simply don't understand how he was ever able to pass the private pilot and commercial writtens. I don't think he could possibly pass them these days if he were to try and do it again.

Sadly - I didn't really know him before the accident - as I was about 5 years old when it happened.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back