Tearing down the Citabria today

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
The wings are off and bare. Her skin is mostly gone. There were no big surprises, except about ten pounds of mud dauber nests inside the wings. Spars look great and no corrosion anywhere. A few strange things were found, but overall she was in good shape for being almost 30 years old.

It was a great learning experience today, and we are very happy with our mechanic. He let me make the first cut, and he understood that it would be hard. Plus, he is planning on teaching me some aerobatics in the Citabria when it's done. :) I only wish his Pitts had two seats! :yes:

Attachments

• Lefty loosy, righty tighty.JPG
    Lefty loosy, righty tighty.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Drilling out the rivets.JPG
    Drilling out the rivets.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Chiggers.JPG
    Chiggers.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Mud daubers.jpg
    Mud daubers.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Skinned wings.JPG
    Skinned wings.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Skinned tail.JPG
    Skinned tail.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Headed for the shop.JPG
    Headed for the shop.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 95
Diana, what a bittersweet moment that must be. The Citaberria is gonna' get a new skin but man, the anguish in making those first cuts. What part is that in the 4th picture (with the dauber's nests)? It would be cool if you save some of the old skin, say an stab and elevator, and put it on a frame to hang on the wall. And why did it take so long to get started?

We have a Piper Pacer in the local hangar where I keep my plane that is getting new fabric after 27 years...the owner started in January...reminds me of roadkill that's been picked over by turkey buzzards... one wing is plucked clean and one side of the fuselage is almost bare...the other side is half peeled and the other wing is slit down the middle. I'm not sure what kind of sequence the owner is following, but every time I go to the airport a little more is stripped down. He claims he'll have it done this summer. We shall see. The airframe keeps getting pushed further and further into the back corner of the hangar.

Call me if you need to

Attachments

• p1010003.JPG
    p1010003.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 73
Looks good Diana. Wonderfull opportunity to learn bunches about the plane. Are you going to stay with the same paint scheme or something a little different???

We could have a POA contest to design new paint for your bird.:goofy:

Looks cool diana, I may be doing the same thing w/my glider one of these winters. Last time it was recovered was in 1972, although it has been kept inside as far as I know since then and the fabric seems to be in good shape. Passes punch tests and everything. When the ship was gone through a couple years ago after coming out of storage they painted some stuff on the fabric to rejuvenate it or something like that. And they gave it a new paint job.

The real question: Is Chip lending you HIS Citabria for the duration?

And now I have even more motivation to bring my airplane to Gastons. You will need a fix by then, I'm sure.

Ken Ibold said:
And now I have even more motivation to bring my airplane to Gastons. You will need a fix by then, I'm sure.

Waddayamean? She can have it flying by Gaston's, can't she? I mean any competent fabric guy can have that job done in a couple of weeks, right?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: LMAO.

Good luck on the projuect, Diana.

Richard said:
Diana, what a bittersweet moment that must be. The Citaberria is gonna' get a new skin but man, the anguish in making those first cuts.

You are right, it was very hard, but I had my little cry on the way down, and got most of it out of my system before I got there.

Richard said:
What part is that in the 4th picture (with the dauber's nests)?
I'm not sure about the technical term, but it's part of the aileron pulley assembly...would it be called the bell crank?

Richard said:
It would be cool if you save some of the old skin, say an stab and elevator, and put it on a frame to hang on the wall.
Funny you should mention that. Our mechanic suggested that we cut out the N-number and save it, which we did. It will go up in the hangar somewhere. :)

Richard said:
And why did it take so long to get started?
Our new mechanic had a few projects to finish before he got started. He wanted me to keep flying it as long as possible until he could devote 100% of his time to it. He really is a great guy.

NC19143 said:
Call me if you need to
Thank you Tom, I appreciate that. :)

It looks like your Fairchild is getting much closer to being finished.

Diana said:
The wings are off and bare. Her skin is mostly gone. There were no big surprises, except about ten pounds of mud dauber nests inside the wings. Spars look great and no corrosion anywhere. A few strange things were found, but overall she was in good shape for being almost 30 years old.

That's one BIG inspection hole you have there Diana.

Did the dog faint?

NC Pilot said:
Looks good Diana. Wonderfull opportunity to learn bunches about the plane.
Yes, it was great! One thing I learned is that the bolts holding the wings on the fuselage are not as big as I thought they would (should) be. And that cotter keys don't always come out easily.

NC Pilot said:
Are you going to stay with the same paint scheme or something a little different??? We could have a POA contest to design new paint for your bird.:goofy:
LOL! Well, it will either have the same paint scheme as before, or bright flames everywhere. We can't decide. :D

Ken Ibold said:
YES! :goofy:
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my name at the top of the list for a ride!

fgcason said:
Did the dog faint?
LOL! He got worn out watching us work. :D

Actually, we discovered that he had a tick embedded in his tongue...never saw that before. Must be an Arkansas thing. :dunno:

Poor girl (both you and the plane). But, just think how excited you'll be to see her with new skin and paint, glistening in the sun.

Diana those are great pics. Thanks for sharing. You won't be sad anymore once it is finished I am sure!!!

All I can say is that you are a brave gal! I'll have to do that soon to my GCAA and I don't look forward to it. I will follow your lead to cut the N# from her. Man, I think probably the hardest part will be the paint scheme. There are so many good looking schemes out there and I still may go back origional. BTY, you are still more than welcome to fly the old girl at Gastons! Looking forward to it!!!! Tailwinds, Steve.

Slinky said:
All I can say is that you are a brave gal! I'll have to do that soon to my GCAA and I don't look forward to it.
Steve, it's been tough not having her here. I walk out to the hangar and stand in that big empty spot and get all mopey.

We just got home from spending a few days at our mechanic's lovely farm in the hills of Arkansas. Cris is wonderful to work with. Always pleasant, calm, and helpful. I trust him completely. He's so nice when I tell him "oops, I just now ....." His response is always a smile and "No problem, we can fix that." He patiently explains things and has taught me how to use new power tools and how to get nails out and how to do a lot of things. He gets me a bucket to stand on when I'm too short to reach stuff. He took my parachute in to the city to be repacked for me. He just smiled when I asked him for the electric screwdriver. Why don't they use electric screwdrivers. :dunno: He did a small airshow for us in his Pitts when he flew back in with my parachute. :)

I came home with banged up hands covered with band aides, and with a sense of satisfaction at having done a lot of work on my airplane myself.

Slinky said:
Man, I think probably the hardest part will be the paint scheme. There are so many good looking schemes out there and I still may go back original.
There is nothing like the original. That's what we're doing.

Slinky said:
you are still more than welcome to fly the old girl at Gastons! Looking forward to it!!!!
That's sweet! I'm looking forward to flying with you Steve. :)

Attachments

• Cleaning the wing.JPG
    Cleaning the wing.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Need that electric screwdriver.JPG
    Need that electric screwdriver.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Pitts on short final.JPG
    Pitts on short final.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Taking a break.JPG
    Taking a break.JPG