TBM Avenger Down in Millville, NJ

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
For those of you who made the April 08 "No Guts No Glory" lunch run and vintage aircraft tour over at Millville, NJ I ask that you please keep Terry in your thoughts and prayers. He was the pilot that gave us the tour and history of all the vintage aircraft in the hangar that day.

UPDATE: PILOT OF MILLVILLE CRASH ID'ED

A vintage TBM Avenger that caught fire while it was in the air safely landed Saturday afternoon at the Millville airport. DRBA Spokesman Jim Salmon says the pilot, Terry Rush, of Cherry Hill, suffered burns in the incident. He was airlifted to the Cooper Health Systems in Camden, then taken to the Chester Crozier Burn Center in Pennsylvania. Rush remains listed in critical, but stable condition. The fire started on board the vintage plane around 4:30pm on Saturday afternoon. When Rush landed the plane, it burst into flames and was destroyed. Rush was the only person involved in the accident and no one else was hurt on the ground as a result.

http://www.nj.com/south/index.ssf/2009/03/wwii_avenger_bursts_into_flame.html

Attachments

• tbm2.JPG
    tbm2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Oh no. I talked to him at the last Wings Angel Flight airshow. Beautiful plane. I hope he does ok. Shame about the plane, too, but obviously human life is a bit more important. Burns? Not good.

From the link above by Gary,..

Pilot Terry Rush, 63, of Cherry Hill, was airlifted to Crozer-Chester Medical Center, in Pennsylvania, with what are believed to be second- and third-degree burns, according to state police.
He suffered burns to his left side and both hands. The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, police said.
After landing the plane around 4:30 p.m., Rush reportedly exited the craft, walked onto one of the wings and jumped to safety while the plane was still rolling and on fire.

Burns = undescribable pain,... I wish him the best in recovery. Sure kept his composure during the event from the sounds of the report.

Shame to see the plane in that condition. I recall you sharing your trip on your blog

Last edited:
Back