Taxi-up hotels enroute to OSH?

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Anybody know of a hotel(s) between SLC and OSH that are on-airport (or a short walk away)? Looking for somewhere to stay on the cheap enroute to OSH. Arriving late at night, departing early the next morning.

Could camp, but don't want the trouble of setting up a tent.

The track I take is south of the line you will be flying. I would suggest having AirNav do a flight plan with stops. Pick one with cheap gas and click on it. You will get the airport information including motels.

Most of the hotels/airports in that area of the country will get you transportation even if it's the local police coming out to give you a lift (don't laugh, happened to me in Iowa TWICE).

How about a hotel shuttle, or even a short taxi cab ride? Then you have the overnight option possibly with a lightly used courtesy car.

How much out of your way would you go to taxi the plane to a hotel? A modest cab fare may be the cheaper option.

Anybody know of a hotel(s) between SLC and OSH that are on-airport (or a short walk away)? Looking for somewhere to stay on the cheap enroute to OSH. Arriving late at night, departing early the next morning.

You are looking for places like this:
http://beaumonthotelks.com/
You taxi right up the road, stop at a stop sign, and then taxi up and park. (I rolled through the stop sign, there was no traffic.) Not exactly on your route, shorter grass strip, not Motel 6 prices, but still something to think about.

Most of the hotels/airports in that area of the country will get you transportation even if it's the local police coming out to give you a lift (don't laugh, happened to me in Iowa TWICE).
I ran into weather and landed at a country airport. Turns out it was a ghost town. Walked a mile to a gas station, caught a ride with the sheriff, and got some food. When he dropped us off in town he told us to call 911 when we were ready for a ride back to the airport! (It felt weird calling 911 for a ride, but they were expecting the call and it was a non-issue.)

Jim

You are looking for places like this:
http://beaumonthotelks.com/
You taxi right up the road, stop at a stop sign, and then taxi up and park. (I rolled through the stop sign, there was no traffic.) Not exactly on your route, shorter grass strip, not Motel 6 prices, but still something to think about.

I ran into weather and landed at a country airport. Turns out it was a ghost town. Walked a mile to a gas station, caught a ride with the sheriff, and got some food. When he dropped us off in town he told us to call 911 when we were ready for a ride back to the airport! (It felt weird calling 911 for a ride, but they were expecting the call and it was a non-issue.)

Jim
That link is not built for tablets, they need to update their site. I could get no useful information out of it.

Are you looking for a taxi-up mohotel or simply an easy place to get to and from the airport. Dozens of those, few taxi-ups.

Jim

It's just that I've found most Podunk FBOs close at 5.... So, sure an "easy to get to" hotel would work.

I'll probably end up leaving the SLC area at 0-dark thirty to arrive at OSH before the airshow...

Last edited:
It's just that I've found most Podunk FBOs close at 5.... So, sure an "easy to get to" hotel would work.

I'll probably end up leaving the SLC area at 0-dark thirty to arrive at OSH before the airshow...

If you stop at ICT there is a Double Tree basically across the street that you can walk to.

If you stop at ICT there is a Double Tree basically across the street that you can walk to.
I was going to suggest ICT, but it is a little south out if his way.

You could try for Sioux Falls (FSD). There is a 24/7 Landmark there and hotels nearby that could shuttle you.

Yup..

Small towns are the friendliest....

I usually stop at Madison SD... KMDS... Cheap fuel, free crew car, hotel about 1/2m away.. Nice people...

On one return flight from OSH weather forced me down in Murdo SD... I sat a couple of hours and the Sheriff stopped by to check on the airport , gave me a ride into town.. Since OSH and Sturgis are the same week, every hotel is booked for hundreds of miles,,, The Sheriff called one of his buddies who owned a hotel. Got me a nice room.. The hotel owner gave me his car keys so I could leave the next morning at 4am. Left his car at the airport with a 50 buck tip.....

When I got home I Fed Ex'ed the Sheriff a C note for his kindness......

I LOVE Small town America....:yes::):):)

Last edited:

Crew car at Alliance, Ainsworth NB, Sioux Falls SD, and lots more I don't know about. No FBO in the midwest closes before sundown, at least none I've ever landed at.

Good advice on calling the sheriff in little tiny towns, most of them are bored snotless and are looking for something to do that's interesting.

Get yourself to a copy center (Staples, etc.) and have them make you up a double sided poster, black print on bright yellow, says, "PILOT TO TOWN" on one side and "PILOT TO AIRPORT" on the other side. Rarely five minutes until you can hitch a ride from the nearest road to town.

See you at The Show

Jim

Jim

I think I'll just do a 5am wheels up from KVNL. Easier that way.

If I can catch a howling tailwind, maybe I can make it nonstop to OSH.

Given the arrival chaos there, I imagine I'd want to have at least 2 hours of fuel onboard approaching RIPON though.

Back