Taxi Or Backtaxi?

I'm not sure why the distinction of taxi vs. back taxi on the runway is important; the bottom line is it means someone is taxiing on the runway.

I'm not sure why the distinction of taxi vs. back taxi on the runway is important; the bottom line is it means someone is taxiing on the runway.

Back taxi (colloquial) is a lot easier to say than "taxi on/via the runway" (official).

I love ATITPPA

I can defend it until the cows come home.

I sometimes land at an uncontrolled field just outside of the Approach control area of a larger field.

When Approach finally gives you away to 1200 and CTAF, sometimes only 30-60 seconds from having to announce my pattern entry.

Other planes who have announcing before I was allowed on the frequency are "blind" to me.

My usual remedy is to "over announce" my position and intentions, in hopes that lets them know where I am, and Spurs them to announce where they are.

But, "Podunk Airport 3 miles ahead, frequency change approved, squawk 1200, good day" puts one in a behind the curve scenario for traffic awareness.

No...it's common sense. Tune into the CTAF and listen before you arrive in the vicinity of the airport, and you'll hear traffic calls.

How long "before" are you required to listen?

Many times, there is no time.

But, "Podunk Airport 3 miles ahead, frequency change approved, squawk 1200, good day" puts one in a behind the curve scenario for traffic awareness.

You're the PIC! Tell approach thanks and that you're switching to Unicom at a distance out you desire. I'd suggest 5-10 miles. Be a pilot!

Back taxi (colloquial) is a lot easier to say than "taxi on/via the runway" (official).

At unmarked, small pavement , dirt, and grass runways, I will also give the compass directions.

"Backtaxi from the West to the East".

If the runway is really icy and you're being blown sideways down it, is that "side taxi"? :)

I'm in Norway, flying out of a non towered airport and am being taught to announce "entering and backtracking on runway XX for departure" when taxiing to the takeoff position. Is "backtracking" not a normal term, is it not used in the US?

Backtaxi was an well used term until about maybe twenty years ago when for ATC use it became "taxi via the runway." As for any other purpose, there's no real official term for it.

You're the PIC! Tell approach thanks and that you're switching to Unicom at a distance out you desire. I'd suggest 5-10 miles. Be a pilot!
Not always an option though. An untowered field just outside a Class C central ring would be a case in point, if you're coming through the Charlie airspace. That was a dilemma for me all the time flying to 3DA in MI through the Flint Class C. Couldn't just terminate services, had to wait for them. Fortunately, they usually turned me loose while I was still in the central area - but it was tight sometimes.

Not always an option though. An untowered field just outside a Class C central ring would be a case in point, if you're coming through the Charlie airspace. That was a dilemma for me all the time flying to 3DA in MI through the Flint Class C. Couldn't just terminate services, had to wait for them. Fortunately, they usually turned me loose while I was still in the central area - but it was tight sometimes.

Did you ever request a frequency change to unicom, or just waited on approach to switch you? If approach has no conflicting traffic with your plane there's no reason to turn down a request. You don't have to wait for them to initiate the change is what I'm getting at. Make the request. If they say unable, ask for a reason why.

Did you ever request a frequency change to unicom, or just waited on approach to switch you? If approach has no conflicting traffic with your plane there's no reason to turn down a request. You don't have to wait for them to initiate the change is what I'm getting at. Make the request. If they say unable, ask for a reason why.
Yes, and many times they said "you can expect that in 3 miles" or whatever. I never questioned beyond that, as I assumed they know their business and would not keep me with them for no good reason. Worth mentioning that my course took me through the approach path for 18 at a rather shallow angle, also KFNT was often quite busy at the times I flew up there.

Yes, and many times they said "you can expect that in 3 miles" or whatever. I never questioned beyond that, as I assumed they know their business and would not keep me with them for no good reason. Worth mentioning that my course took me through the approach path for 18 at a rather shallow angle, also KFNT was often quite busy at the times I flew up there.

Yes it sounds like they had conflicting traffic in that case. That's pretty obvious, especially crossing final approach at a low altitude. You can still ask why, but if said to you like that, it meant they did. I flew into FNT for an airline years ago often and it can get busy being just north of Detroit. Just wanted you to know you can request a frequency change, which you do, and the reason if they refused your request, if you desire. ;)

I've never been in this situation (I'm still a student). Could you not tune into the untowered airfield on your second radio and transmit your intentions to land at the untowered airfield, all while still in communication with the Class C tower?

I've never been in this situation (I'm still a student). Could you not tune into the untowered airfield on your second radio and transmit your intentions to land at the untowered airfield, all while still in communication with the Class C tower?

Yes you can. And I'm sure Azure most likely did that.

I've seen a C17 perform a back taxi. Literally. It backed up.

Yesterday an airplane was doing touch and goes landings in pattern work using 30. The wind slightly favored 7. Traffic was very light and the plane in the pattern was obviously practicing cross-wind landings and take-offs.

The runways crossed nearer the 12 and 7 ends. There was a taxi-way parallel to 7-25.

The aircraft in the pattern announced crosswind 30. I was heading west on the taxiway, near 12-30. I had plenty of time to turn right on 12-30 and in a couple of hundred feet turned right on 7-25 for an intersection take-off. No conflict whatsover.

I announced, "Airplane 12345 taxi on 30 to 7 for intersection takeoff". The (to my ears) young male voice from the pattern airplane came back, "aircraft announcing taxiing on 30 are you not back taxing on 12"?
I was taxiing in the direction the pattern aircraft was using on the runway he was announcing on. Why should I say "backtaxi" when it would only confuse people wondering what I was doing on 12 when traffic was using 30?

Back