Tanstaafl

TANSTAAFL?

• True

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • False

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its gotta be true. At some point, somehow, someone's paying for lunch.

Who said false, and why, I wanna know. :)

I said false. I get free lunches all the time!

Bet you don't. Someone is paying. Just not you.

Greebo said:

Not necessarily. I go outside and kill a squirrel and cook it and eat it. Who paid?

wbarnhill said:
Not necessarily. I go outside and kill a squirrel and cook it and eat it. Who paid?
You and the squirrel.

The squirrel with its life, you with your time and effort.

TANSTAAFL.

Remember - MONEY isn't real. It's an imaginary construct to represent value. Time and effort both have value.

Greebo said:
You and the squirrel.

The squirrel with its life, you with your time and effort.

TANSTAAFL.

Remember - MONEY isn't real. It's an imaginary construct to represent value. Time and effort both have value.

Give it up Chuck. There will always be some out there who think just because they don't pay for it no one else does either. Now if had killed a cat, then it would be a net benefit to society, but there would still be the cost of the bullet, rifle, trigger time etc. :)

Greebo said:

It's free for me. That's all that matters.

Someone, some time will pay. Maybe not today, maybe even not tomorrow, but someone always pays.

So true.

If any of you guys came up this way I would buy lunch and wouldn't expect anything more than great conversation.

Frank --- Ah, How do you know what Cat tastes like?! :dunno:
Please tell me you were special forces stranded in some remote part of the world and it was all you had to stay alive :)

CapeCodJay said:
If any of you guys came up this way I would buy lunch and wouldn't expect anything more than great conversation.

Frank --- Ah, How do you know what Cat tastes like?! :dunno:
Please tell me you were special forces stranded in some remote part of the world and it was all you had to stay alive :)

Nope. But I stayed at a Holiday Inn once. :D:D

BTW, I would love to visit New England some time. I've never been further up the east coast than N. Carolina!

Frank (as a former Jacksonville Resident myself) consider this your formal invite. Would love to have you and your wife up and show you the sights all within very easy flying / driving.

CapeCodJay said:
Frank (as a former Jacksonville Resident myself) consider this your formal invite. Would love to have you and your wife up and show you the sights all within very easy flying / driving.

I'd love too! Not sure when I can make that happen though. Actually my wife and I are not presently co-habitating, but life goes on ya know. How long ago was it when you lived in Jacksonville?

I lived there for a year -- a former Connecticut resident went there and opened a funeral home in Ponte Vedra Beach and I worked for him. Quinn-Shalz.

I lived there for a year in 2001 (well Mandarin actually) - then got homesick for New England.

Having seen photos of New England, I can sure understand the home sick thing. I've been through much of the western US but oddly not the eastern part. As a matter of fact, I had never been further up I95 than the Kingsland Ga exit until just a few weeks ago! Got a little lost going to Myrtle Beach! :hairraise:

tonycondon said:
hungry people, of course! :)

Exactly. When I was growing up, .22 shot squirrel, rabbit, possum, and various birds were, more often than not, our only source of meat. We couldn't afford to buy it at the store. Shotguns would have been easier, I suppose, but you don't get any cheaper than .22s and besides, who wants to have to pick shot out of dinner?

I've still got that old Sears Model 1 single shot. Haven't shot it in years.

CapeCodJay said:
Who eats squirrel?!?!
I'll admit that I have. It was not exactly worth the effort. Certainly not enough there to make a good lunch.

Credit for "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" goes to University of Chicago Economist Milton Freedman.

Greebo said:
Who said false, and why, I wanna know. :)

It was showing 8 votes at 100%. Conservation of energy was not being maintained. I had to fix that.

You don't get something for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smigaldi
with pancakes??

Frank Browne said:
No self respecting Southerner would eat cat without them! :D:D

and a little bit of tabasco, or, if a Texan, some Texas Pete. 'course, you have to say the cat was shelled armadillo....or maybe possum.

Back