Tanker Pilots

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Ever since watching the movie "Always" I was interested in being a tanker pilot to fight forest fires, All I know is that at least a part 135 is required with most operators.According to SteveinIndy I'll probably turn up dead. I was just hoping you might be able to provide more insight into this.

Ever since watching the movie "Always" I was interested in being a tanker pilot to fight forest fires, All I know is that at least a part 135 is required with most operators.According to SteveinIndy I'll probably turn up dead. I was just hoping you might be able to provide more insight into this.

Commercial Multiengine... and expect to compete with every high time military trained C130 and P3 Orion pilot who also caught the bug while watching that movie.

As with most operations you will start life in the right seat. The actual requirements aren't onerous - I think the USFS requires 800 hours PIC as well as the usual certificates and ratings for a copilot in a tanker on contract.

Keep in mind there really aren't that many planes flying. About eight or nine companies each flying a few tankers. Probably only 25 planes in service on USFS or DOI contracts in any given year, so 25 theoretical FO positions in a season (unless they have relief crews, not sure.) There are state contracts too, in Oregon, California, Alaska, Arizona, probably others...

Expect to occupy the right seat for three to ten years.

Lifestyle is: no personal life for summer traveling all over on short notice making mid-thirties over four or five months work.

During the recent fire around Myrtle Beach they had a couple of blackhawks with buckets working onthe fire.

During the recent fire around Myrtle Beach they had a couple of blackhawks with buckets working onthe fire.
At the Clow Cavalcade of Planes last weekend, a fiend was flying the Sikorsky doing fire drops on a simulated fire next to the runway. Dunk the bucket in the retention pond to fill it, and a moment later drop 400 gallons of water next to the runway.

Single engine air tanker (SEAT) is another interesting way to go in this career field.

The "Air Tractor" showed up for the season last weekend. That thing is friggen huge!!! BLM keeps one based at the glider club airport with a two pilots, and ground support for the summer.

Back