Tango Foxtrot 4, and other exAB build practice Qs...

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Final NTSB narrative finally available on an ex-coworker friend's fatal accident involving a power loss and impossible turn out of KABI more than 2 years ago. Not surprised with the usual belated and equally useless boilerplate from the NTSB, unable to figure out what caused the power loss, and blaming the pilot for attempting a turnback when it rolls snake-eyes. Not the scope of my question.

Specifically I was very troubled by the fact the adults were all ejected or partially ejected, while the infant remained in place. The front seaters died and the back seater (female) survived, along with the infant in the car seat.

From the report:

"The two front seat lap belt anchorages were adhesively bonded to the interior structure. The front seats and the inboard lap belt attachments and shoulder harness reel attachments were impact separated. Most of the fuselage shell around the front seat occupants had disintegrated into small pieces. The forward lap belt anchor locations consisted of large hex head bolts placed adjacent to the airplane structure with the fastener head covered with a generous mound of structural filler. On top of this filler the assembly was then covered with what appeared to be two four inch diameter circular wet-layup plies of glass cloth. The lap belt attachments were not otherwise mechanically attached. The shoulder harness inertia reels for the front seat occupants were anchored to the floor of the airplane and were not attached to the ceiling or the upper side of the door jamb. Both inboard lap belt attachments and both shoulder harness inertial reel attachments for the front seat occupants were impact separated.

The right passenger seat in the rear cabin was separated from its attach points. The left passenger seat in the rear cabin remained attached. The individual inertia reels for the two rear seat occupants were mechanically bolted to the top of a platform common to the aft cabin bulkhead, and both remained attached. The rear seat lap belt attachments were mechanically bolted through the adjacent fuselage for the outboard belts, and were bolted through the control cable tunnel sidewall for the inboard lap belts. The inboard lap belt attachment for the right rear occupant was impact separated and had pulled completely through the composite sidewall. The other lap belt attachments for both rear seat occupants remained attached."

So the rear seaters had half the lap belt attachment points bolted and thus were only partially ejected or not ejected; they were also the lightest occupants. The front seaters had none of the points bolted and the rest is history.

My question is: Is this right???? Baking in the attach bolts and slapping over more fiberglass? Jesus, please don't tell me this is standard build practices. The NTSB went further in criticizing other aspects of the bonding quality of the few remaining structural components large enough to inspect. The read left me with the impression they didn't seem too impressed with the QC of the lay and bonding job.

I'm a big fan of the exAB rules, but when I read some of this stuff, it really gives me the impression that defaulting to a skeptical approach of the airworthiness of an exAB resale is warranted in ways that are simply not in the same planetary orbit for certified. According to the report, the build was made by the deceased and his first one. He was otherwise a carbon copy of my demographic, pro pilot military IP with no prior experience in aircraft manufacturing. The report adds that he completed the build with the assistance of the factory. Of course under the presumption that they adhered to the "51% or more" rule, which I have no reason to doubt.

So for those in the exAB circle, what say you? Proper build practices, type-specific deficiencies of an obscure brand , hasty hack job by the builder that proved fatal, or somewhere in between?

Stay safe out there folks.

I believe Anymouse is a Tango guy. He could probably attest to building practices.

I have 2 EABs and both have the seat belts bolted to the airframe. One has an inertial reel, the other does not.

So for those in the exAB circle, what say you? Proper build practices, type-specific deficiencies of an obscure brand , hasty hack job by the builder that proved fatal, or somewhere in between?

Stay safe out there folks.

If the impact was hard enough to shatter the airframe, it might be that the attachment was proper and simply failed under excessive load.

I've been watching this one too...he was stationed here as a 38 pilot . When I read about it I was saddened and thought about my skill compared to his experience and wondered why I still fly.

What is crazy is they never found an issue with the engine and they said they did not know the full nature of his emergency. and the fact that nobody smelled fuel or say fuel until the next day...that seemed strange to me.

So really we learned nothing of this except don't try the impossible turn. ugh..

Your question could easily be answered by someone with access to Tango 4 plans - if there is such a person. On the RV-4 by design the restraints are tied to aircraft structure with good load distribution. No inertia reel in the plans. If I were interested in a Tango I'd make sure I found out.

Nauga,
strapped in

So really we learned nothing of this except don't try the impossible turn. ugh..
...and to check your restraints. Good question by Hindsight.

Nauga,
all jokes aside

I think people have to also remember that these kit airplanes are Experimental, Amateur Built. When you are flying it, you are part of the ongoing experiment and development. The assumption seems to be that the engineering and testing is as good if not better than the certified airplane. It's not.

I seriously doubt there were any destructive tests done on this kit to see how the restraints worked in a crash. I would bet some engineer, or designer said "That ought to be good enough." Then to make matters potentially worse, an amateur guy that has never built a plane before built it.

Nobody buys an E/AB for it's survivability in a crash. Nobody. People buy them for incredible performance and cost savings compared to their certified counterparts. They also just buy them to have a project and also to get out under from the FAA somewhat. What happens when they crash is way, way down on the list of buyer's priorities, because lets face it. Nobody truly believes that they will actually crash.

If there were ever airplanes that could use a Cirrus CAPS type system, it's E/AB planes. Particularly the fiberglass ones.

Last edited:
Back