Tampa rentals

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Leslie and I are going to be flying commercial to Tampa for a long weekend March 10-13. I figure we'll see about renting a plane on Saturday or Sunday morning, then I'll drive up to Crystal River and do some diving Monday while she's at her conference.

Any suggestions about places to rent in the Tampa area? We might find it cheaper to just grab a CFI to go with us, rather than get checked out for a single day.

Would it be reasonable to fly up to Crystal River, or should I drive? I have the fact that I'll be diving in the back of my mind, so I may just rent a car and drive up.

I learned to fly at Plant City (KPCM), just a few miles out on I-4. They had a pretty nice setup last time I was there. They are 7NM West of Lakeland and are a favorite Sun-N-Fun destination airport. Also the students (including me) have worn a pretty good groove in the air between there and Crystal River Airport. Yu can fly there on the 330 Radial out of Lakeland in under an hour in a C-152. There was a Dairy Queen 50 yards from the FBO in Crystal River where we always had to get a Blizzard to eat.... Yum

Plant City
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPCM

Crystal River
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCGC

It is easy enough to drive up there.

Although I have flown in for lunch. When I rent it is not from Tampa but down in Sarasota.

If you are diving make sure you do the Rainbow River. Check with a couple of dive shops and do their tour it is worth it. American Pro would be my recommended with a recommendation to stay away from Bird's Underwater.

Obviously you are going to play with the Manatees. Just rent a boat from the Plantation Inn and make sure you go to the 3 sisters spring. You will only need snorkeling equipment for playing with the T's.

While hanging around in Tampa a place to go is http://www.bigcatrescue.org A great chance to see big cats up close and personal. I got to get in a cage with a snow leopard and it let me pet it!!

Also I recommend http://www.canoeescape.com/ for doing a couple of canoing day trips. I have canoed most of that river and really like it a lot. You can go on a short or a long trip and they drop you off and pick you up.

I have relatives in that area and have been going up to Citrus county for 26 years. I will be in that area on that weekend too if you want to try and hook up. But I understand weekends with the spouse.

Last time I was TDY to MacDill AFB I rented a plane over at KTPF. It's very convenient to the city and the folks there were very nice.

Grant,

I rented a very nice G1000-equipped 182 at X39 (North Tampa) a year ago. Very basic checkout, took 1.1 and then I took the plane for the rest of the day and well into the night and put 6.4 more on it. :yes: The lady who runs the flight school was very friendly and reasonable and I'd give 'em a thumbs up - It was one of the easiest "walk in and rent today" type situations I've ever encountered, and I do that a lot in various corners of the country. :yes:

Well, we're heading out this Saturday. Scott, I'd love to meet up with you that weekend, maybe Saturday, 3/10. We could celebrate my birthday! :) That's presuming you're still going to be there. Again, sorry about your mother. If anyone else is in the area, maybe we can all get together. We're going to be at the Holiday Inn Express in Wesley Chapel.

Well, we're heading out this Saturday. Scott, I'd love to meet up with you that weekend, maybe Saturday, 3/10. We could celebrate my birthday! :) That's presuming you're still going to be there. Again, sorry about your mother. If anyone else is in the area, maybe we can all get together. We're going to be at the Holiday Inn Express in Wesley Chapel.
If you're in Wesley Chapel, you will be just 5 minutes from Tampa North airport and 10 minutes from Zephyrhills (KZPH). I stay at that HI Express whenever I go back for a visit. I used to live 10 miutes from there. If you get a chance, go over to ZPH and see Charlie Melot at Zephyr Engines.

I rented a very nice G1000-equipped 182 at X39 (North Tampa) a year ago. Very basic checkout, took 1.1 and then I took the plane for the rest of the day and well into the night and put 6.4 more on it. :yes: The lady who runs the flight school was very friendly and reasonable and I'd give 'em a thumbs up - It was one of the easiest "walk in and rent today" type situations I've ever encountered, and I do that a lot in various corners of the country. :yes:

If you're in Wesley Chapel, you will be just 5 minutes from Tampa North airport

Well, those two fit together quite nicely, don't they?

Have fun Grant (and Leslie)!

Whitted in south St. Petersburg looks like it is just GA. I have flown in there and I know they have a flight school there and they have treated me awsome.

Whitted in south St. Petersburg looks like it is just GA. I have flown in there and I know they have a flight school there and they have treated me awsome.
I know we'll be going to Whitted at some point. Leslie's maiden name is Whitted, and we think that Albert Whitted was related to the slave owners back in North Carolina. We've actually been to Hillsboro there to see the Whitted house, which is still standing.

Grant, fly to Cedar Keys. It's a neat destination.

I used to rent out of Sarasota (Dolphin FBO IIRC).

Grant,

We went by there today to do a rental, and they don't have any 182s on the line now. Melissa at the desk, who's only been there about three months, was unaware of them every having any. They have about four 172s and a 172RG now, though the RG is down for maintenance.

Not sure I'll be renting this trip, because they really don't have anyone available for a checkout until Monday evening, which wouldn't leave a whole lot of time for flying. Guess I should have called ahead! :redface:

Getting together with Scott M. and his step-father tonight for dinner. Looking forward to that.

Back