Tamoxifen - should I call AME

U

Unregistered

I'm a student pilot with genetic risk for breast cancer. My doctor wants me to start taking Tamoxifen to help reduce the risk. I just got my 3rd Class Medical and haven't started flying solo yet. Am I supposed to call my AME and get clearance to fly as a PIC if I start a new prescription? Or do I just wait until it's time to renew before I report it?

Based on the AOPA medications database, this requires a Physician Status Letter at minimum. But what does the letter need to say? I don't know. Seek out your AME for what information your treating doc needs to tell the FAA.

If you haven't been prescribed the drug yet, nor have taken it, you can continue to train. But as soon as you ingest the drug, additional steps may be required before you are cleared to fly.

For a more detailed answer, call your AME or reach out to AOPA's Pilot Information Center at 800/872-2672.

PS. Do stay healthy. If cancer develops, flying is still possible, but now you'll be navigating the Special Issuance airspace.

First, check to see if the drug is on the white list or the black list. See the AOPA website for these lists.

Assuming it is OK to fly on this drug, go fly and remember to report it on the next Medical renewal. -Skip

As Aggie points out Tamoxifen is on the allowed but "needs status report" requirement. Absent a diagnosis of cancer NOW, I see no reason that you need to stop flying. It's a report on the next medical type issue. You should however not fly for the first few days while taking the medication just to assure that there is no adverse reaction.

When you do go for your next medical you will need that status report and it should include the statement of no indication of cancer.

As Aggie points out Tamoxifen is on the allowed but "needs status report" requirement. Absent a diagnosis of cancer NOW, I see no reason that you need to stop flying. It's a report on the next medical type issue. You should however not fly for the first few days while taking the medication just to assure that there is no adverse reaction.

When you do go for your next medical you will need that status report and it should include the statement of no indication of cancer.

And no reaction to the drug.

You really need professional advice, I would post the question in the AOPA medical board where Dr Bruce Chien, an AME posts and helps people.

In my know nothing opinion, they probably want a letter on this drug because one of its uses is to treat cancer. Since you don't have cancer you should be fine, but my advice is worth what you paid for it. Nothing.

Contact Dr Bruce, I think this would be a quick answer.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit.

But...

Talking to an AME who might then talk to the FAA could lead to a whole mess of problems. Sometimes it's just better to let a medical expire.

In this case, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the FAA just assumed that the OP was taking an anti-cancer medication because she/he may already have cancer and, further, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the FAA revoked the medical pending a bunch of documentation that they will want on a very short time line.

A better course of action would be to research the issue ahead of time and have any necessary documentation on hand before you walk in.

Am I way off base here?

If you have an AME that is willing to do a private consultation, fine. They could be a good source of information on what the likely repercussions would be and what kind of testing should / should not be done. I would hold Dr Chien up as an example. But one needs to be careful.

Oh, and welcome to POA. Really.

Tamoxifen is in the database with "status report required." As pointed out, in addition to the no adverse reaction comments, the fact that there is no cancer should be stated but otherwise this should not be a problem. This exactly prophylactic use of the drug is an on-label use.

Absent an actual cancer diagnosis, I don't believe there is anything disqualifying here that needs immediate attention, but if it makes you feel good get a consult with a good AME (like Dr. Bruce).

thanks for the welcomes ... it is a balm for the ouchie it got upon entering these hallowed halls. I did so with trepidation ... even having met the great Khan Dr Chien!

Tamoxifen: my take - take the medication, watch for side-effects for 3 days, fly your ass off and at your next AME visit list it. AME will defer and FAA will respond asking for a APS (attending physician's statement) He provides that , OKC sends your certificate and you are good. (ps no AME worth his salt should ever, well hardly ever deny).

seriously i look forward to contributing to aviation medicine and safety in this forum ... and thanks for having me!

I happen to agree with ibfmdjr on this one.

Though I don't spend much time here anymore, I feel compelled to let everyone know that lbfmdjr is the real thing. Ian, Good luck here :)

This is a tough room. Lots of "I don't believe you" stuff posted, personal attacks. Have at. This board is pretty hard core! Lots of "I've never had a problem since....what's FAA's problem...." which translates into "what's your problem?".

Lots of perceptive aviators here, too, but I drew the line at personal attacks.

Last edited:
thanks for the welcomes ... it is a balm for the ouchie it got upon entering these hallowed halls. I did so with trepidation ... even having met the great Khan Dr Chien!

Tamoxifen: my take - take the medication, watch for side-effects for 3 days, fly your ass off and at your next AME visit list it. AME will defer and FAA will respond asking for a APS (attending physician's statement) He provides that , OKC sends your certificate and you are good. (ps no AME worth his salt should ever, well hardly ever deny).

seriously i look forward to contributing to aviation medicine and safety in this forum ... and thanks for having me!

Why not show up to the initial visit with the required statement paperwork in hand?

I happen to agree with ibfmdjr on this one.

Though I don't spend much time here anymore, I feel compelled to let everyone know that lbfmdjr is the real thing. Ian, Good luck here :)

You selling the practice and finally retiring Bruce?

Good to have you here, Dr. Ian!

And Bruce, I'm late in saying a big thank you for chatting with me at the Gaston's event. What you shared was extremely informative and I enjoyed the social time with you! I'm glad you and Susan attended and hope you'll be back next year!

Should we really be using his name when he hasn't posted it himself? Even first name by itself provides a clue as to identity.

Last edited:
Should we really using his name when he hasn't posted it himself? Even first name by itself provides a clue as to identity.

We can't protect against people using your name if they know it.

Rules of Conduct said:
Pilots of America, with limited exception, is not an anonymous forum. There are no rights or guarantees of anonymity. While you may post under a pseudonym, your true name may be used in posts or conversations by those who know it. If you require anonymity then do not participate in the Pilots of America Forum.

• [*]Louis Blanding Fowler Jr., M.D.
    [*]Family Practice
    [*]Senior Aviation Medical Examiner
    [*]FAA/HIMS/ATC
    [*]Addictions Treatment
    [*]Medical Aesthetics
    [*]431 E. Government St.
    [*]Pensacola, Fl 32502
    [*]850-433-9391

[*]lbfjrmd@gmail.com

[*]Family Practice
    [*]FAA/HIMS/ATC
    [*]Addictions Treatment
    [*]Medical Aesthetics
    [*]431 E. Government St.
    [*]Pensacola, Fl 32502
    [*]850-433-9391

[*]lbfjrmd@gmail.com

Ok, that leaves a question open... Why Ian?;)

"Ian" came from Bruce.

But that could be his brain saying "Louis" and his fingers inputting "Ian".

You selling the practice and finally retiring Bruce?
Heck no. I'm up to my earballs.

To the OP: be sure to send your documentation to the agency at least 2 months prior to your expiration, including a current "status statement" as to the "why, wherefore and lack of side effects". It's taking the agency that long to get authorizations out. You want it in hand before you go to your local AME.

And Louis, I took the ibfmdjr "I" and as I not an L. ibf is another very well known HIMS AME from Fl (and NJ), and we go back about 18 years.

To the Board: Dr. Fowler is definitely "on the federal list". :)

Welcome.

Last edited:
Heck no. I'm up to my earballs.

And Louis, I took the ibfmdjr "I" and as I not an L. ibf is another very well known HIMS AME from Fl (and NJ), and we go back about 18 years.

To the Board: Dr. Fowler is definitely "on the federal list". :)

Welcome.

Take a vacation, go travel somewhere fun with your wife, the Maldives are nice.

[*]Family Practice
    [*]FAA/HIMS/ATC
    [*]Addictions Treatment
    [*]Medical Aesthetics
    [*]431 E. Government St.
    [*]Pensacola, Fl 32502
    [*]850-433-9391

[*]lbfjrmd@gmail.com

Well, that settles that! :)

We had one member quit the forum under similar circumstances a while back, so I was hoping we weren't driving you away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back