Taming of the Seminole

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
Today at 4:30 pm, I will start training on Joliet Avionics Seminole. With my Apache time, I hope it is a smooth transition.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Can you fly worth a shlt? That will probably have more to do with it. :tongue:
Today at 4:30 pm, I will start training on Joliet Avionics Seminole. With my Apache time, I hope it is a smooth transition.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

The Seminole is a fun airplane. A bit underpowered, but it flies really nice. Just watch the instructor's hand; if it's between the seats, you're going to lose an engine (the fuel shut off valves are on the floor between the seats). What year is the plane?

Unless we were at a significant altitude, I'd be having some sharp words with my MEI if he failed an engine using the fuel selector.

Unless we were at a significant altitude, I'd be having some sharp words with my MEI if he failed an engine using the fuel selector.

Fuel selector, that's the word I couldn't think of. He'd only do it with the selector above 3K, I think. Or maybe 5K. It's been a while. Never really bothered me.

My instructor always used the fuel selector on the Aztec. Worked fine.

ROTFLMAO. Seminole is puddytat. Seminole shake and wobble and may not make the rollover as it's under powered.

Seminole very tame :)

Watch out for a fuel flow gauge. First it goes down, than the engine :)

It was a great flight! We picked one of the busiest days of the year to fly at Aurora. (It never seems that busy there.)
After departure, we went southwest to avoid Parachute jumping at Hinckley. The airwork was very comfortable. The Seminole has more power than my old Apache, but less than the Cessna 310 which I have flown.
These PA44s that JA just bought are from Embry Riddle Aeronautical school. They are fine looking machines.
Then we made an approach to runway 2 at Dekalb. Dekalb is a really nice uncontrolled field. It has some of the nicest runways for an uncontrolled field that I have ever seen. After two landings, we headed back to Dupage.
At my two full stop landings at Dekalb, the nose wheel wanted to settle abruptly. I was thinking that it had to do with the loss of elevator effectiveness due to the T-tail.
So on our touchdown at Aurora's Runway 15, I aggressively pulled the yoke up, thinking it would keep the nose wheel from thumping down to the concrete. You probably can guess what happened. Back into the air we sailed. Although the return to earth was gentile, it hurt my pride to do the extra "touch and go". :rolleyes2:
Thanks for the posts and keep flying!
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I thought the Seminole was a fun little airplane .. if a tad underpowered.

I split my multi training about half and half with the Seminole and the
Seneca. Took the checkride in the Seminole. Then about a year later
I got a call from the FAA that the DPE didn't exactly have a letter for
the Seminole .. although he had one for about everything else on earth.
So I got to go do it over again with the FAA guy .. on the dime of
the flight school (DPE owned it). I told him we could go fly around as
much as he wanted since it wasn't costing me anything. haha. Back
then it always seemed like the FAA guys liked to get out of the office
and go play with airplanes.

I do recall having a discussion with him regarding density altitude and
single engine performance in Seminoles so that we might not be too
silly low and slow.

RT

Back