Talkeetna, Alaska mid-air: ouch!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Very lucky people:

http://www.adn.com/article/20150531/air-taxi-private-aircraft-collide-talkeetna-airport

a48ab98e228ccc965ec87d4c3fef42b7.jpg

Wow. If that back seat was occupied, there was one lucky passenger.

Holy!

I guess mr. "flight seeing" forgot about the "seeing" part?

See and avoid ,didn't seem to work on this flight. Glad it turned out well

Heck that just gave them Alaskan flyboys an idea. Add a little tape and some 2x4s longerons and poof a super Cessna load carrying inline biplane.

At least the 150 came in with flaps. What's the back story?

They crashed in midair. Doesn't sound very lucky to me.

The 172 pilot on the bottom lived, without serious injury. That's lucky! Look how close the Skylane spinner is to his seat. :yikes:

Everyone in the bigger plane lived, with only minor injuries. Lucky again!

They crashed in midair. Doesn't sound very lucky to me.
I remember when a guy I work with was in an accident on the way to work. He made it in, late, and said, "I'm lucky I wasn't hurt!" The boss asked, "How come every time someone is in a wreck they say they were "lucky"?"

... And that's where baby airplanes come from. :dunno:

Commercial tour operators fly that same approach and landing all day, every day. They sometimes get used to the routine. In comes a student pilot, probably doing everything correctly, and somehow there's a conflict. A high-time 185 pilot will fly a steeper final approach than a low-time student pilot. Once they're both set up for the same runway at the same time? No way either one can see the other. It looks familiar to me. When I was a low-time student I came very close to a final leg midair with a high time air taxi operator who'd had the airport to himself all winter until I showed up. In my case the 135 guy was a few seconds behind me and saw me in time. Scary stuff. Can't say that's what happened here but it sure looks like it.

I remember when a guy I work with was in an accident on the way to work. He made it in, late, and said, "I'm lucky I wasn't hurt!" The boss asked, "How come every time someone is in a wreck they say they were "lucky"?"

If you were in a wreck and live, you were lucky.

Commercial tour operators fly that same approach and landing all day, every day. They sometimes get used to the routine. In comes a student pilot, probably doing everything correctly, and somehow there's a conflict. A high-time 185 pilot will fly a steeper final approach than a low-time student pilot. Once they're both set up for the same runway at the same time? No way either one can see the other. It looks familiar to me. When I was a low-time student I came very close to a final leg midair with a high time air taxi operator who'd had the airport to himself all winter until I showed up. In my case the 135 guy was a few seconds behind me and saw me in time. Scary stuff. Can't say that's what happened here but it sure looks like it.

This was kinda how it looked to me also. I watched the 135 guys there at TKA when I was up there this time last year. They don't waste a lot of time getting on the runway, that's for sure. That's an airport you need to be extra heads-up at when the conditions are good on Mckinley.

A similar thing happened to me on my first student cross country in 1991. I saw his shadow and that was the only thing that kept me from landing on top of him.

So much for big sky theory ... especially if Alaska can lose BOTH of their planes in one mishap!:lol::D

That was a nice 185.

Heh, that opens up all kind of possibilities:

"...and then the gear extends..."

"...sometimes the gear won't extend properly but it's nothing to be ashamed of..."

If your gear stays extended for more than four hours, seek immediate A&P attention...

Back