Talk to me about Cholesterol

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
I had my annual "wellness" visit with the doctor yesterday. Losing weight so that was good. BP was (130/70) treated so that was pretty good. Cholesterol wasn't as good and has creeped up a little the last two years.

TC = 215
HDL = 38
LDL = 148

Last time around

TC = 198
HDL = 38
LDL = 126

and the time before that I think it was a shade lower yet.

All I can think of is the low carb diet I am on. When I say low carb I don't mean greasy hamburgers and bacon. I do eat a good number of eggs as I have chickens and have a lot of them. Mostly fairly lean meat, venison, chicken and some pork. I get most of my carbs from vegetables (have a big garden). I haven't had milk in months (although I love it) but I do eat cheese. Only greasy processed food I do eat on occasion is pepperoni when I am in a hurry or need a snack or the rare hot dog.

Dr. says probably nothing to worry about given I had a clear angiogram two years ago but something to keep an eye on but what gives I would think if I was losing weight and getting more exercise my Cholesterol would be going down not up? :dunno:

Triglycerides are down this time around 146 instead of 169.

Seems to me most cholesterol issues are genetic.

I got a high cholesterol reading years ago: Went on a low fat diet, started running, lost a lot of weight, kept running, lost more weight, ran 40-50 miles a week, ate well, ...

Got another test and my numbers had only dropped a couple points - still too high for my doc. Got a statin pill once a day and within 90 days my numbers dropped dramatically.

Good for you on the triglycerides, though!

I had my annual "wellness" visit with the doctor yesterday. Losing weight so that was good. BP was (130/70) treated so that was pretty good. Cholesterol wasn't as good and has creeped up a little the last two years.

TC = 215
HDL = 38
LDL = 148

Last time around

TC = 198
HDL = 38
LDL = 126

and the time before that I think it was a shade lower yet.

All I can think of is the low carb diet I am on. When I say low carb I don't mean greasy hamburgers and bacon. I do eat a good number of eggs as I have chickens and have a lot of them. Mostly fairly lean meat, venison, chicken and some pork. I get most of my carbs from vegetables (have a big garden). I haven't had milk in months (although I love it) but I do eat cheese. Only greasy processed food I do eat on occasion is pepperoni when I am in a hurry or need a snack or the rare hot dog.

Dr. says probably nothing to worry about given I had a clear angiogram two years ago but something to keep an eye on but what gives I would think if I was losing weight and getting more exercise my Cholesterol would be going down not up? :dunno:

Triglycerides are down this time around 146 instead of 169.
Triglycerides are a little high and this is not usually seen with a low carb diet. This may explain your low HDL (want it over 45) as well. Start auditing you calorie and carb (and sugar) by weighing everything you eat and calculating the calories, carbs and sugar. My rule of thumb is that triglycerides should be under 100, otherwise you may be getting excess carbs. Be careful with starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn and avoid sugar as if it is poison. Also cut down on all forms of animal fat.

Is there such a thing as a fairly accurate home cholesterol test, perhaps similar to the home A1C test I buy at Walmart every 3 months or so?

The home A1C test has been consistent with what my family doctor sees when I visit her every 6-8 months for a checkup.

Mine shot up dramatically after I took my docs suggestions. (I went from barely over 100 to over 200 in 3 months)... I may have lost faith in the tests as a whole.

Everyone in my family has cholesterol issues but me. I think I'm onto something, but your opinion may differ.

Triglycerides are a little high and this is not usually seen with a low carb diet. This may explain your low HDL (want it over 45) as well. Start auditing you calorie and carb (and sugar) by weighing everything you eat and calculating the calories, carbs and sugar. My rule of thumb is that triglycerides should be under 100, otherwise you may be getting excess carbs. Be careful with starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn and avoid sugar as if it is poison. Also cut down on all forms of animal fat.

Gary, this is odd because literally since June I have eaten virtually no sugar. Not a single candy bar, cookie, piece of cake, ice cream not even on my birthday. I have not eaten a single potato since June. Now I did have some corn on the cob a few weeks ago but generally don't eat corn because I know it is starchy. Animal fat well, I guess I am guilty of consuming some of that now and then I can work on that. I am overweight obviously or I wouldn't be trying to loose weight and don't exercise as much as I like but am not inactive. I don't drink at all.

Guess I need to keep on the weight loss and see where it takes me. This diet seems to be working for me so I am interested in tweaking it where necessary without upsetting the apple cart too much. I would imagine that these slightly elevated numbers are the lesser of two evils when compared to carrying so much extra weight.

Probably a stupid question but....when you are losing weight your body is consuming the fat it has stored does this have some effect on your blood work?

Last edited:
Gary, this is odd because literally since June I have eaten virtually no sugar. Not a single candy bar, cookie, piece of cake, ice cream not even on my birthday. I have not eaten a single potato since June. Now I did have some corn on the cob a few weeks ago but generally don't eat corn because I know it is starchy. Animal fat well, I guess I am guilty of consuming some of that now and then I can work on that. I am overweight obviously or I wouldn't be trying to loose weight and don't exercise as much as I like but am not inactive. I don't drink at all.

Guess I need to keep on the weight loss and see where it takes me. This diet seems to be working for me so I am interested in tweaking it where necessary without upsetting the apple cart too much. I would imagine that these slightly elevated numbers are the lesser of two evils when compared to carrying so much extra weight.

Probably a stupid question but....when you are losing weight your body is consuming the fat it has stored does this have some effect on your blood work?
If you are significantly overweight you may still have elevated triglycerides even if you are on a low carb diet. My weight loss and low carb diet had my triglycerides go from the 150 range to 55. It is possible that you chose your parents poorly if you have bad numbers in spite of a healthful diet.

There is some thought now that the numbers are not as important as the size of the particles. There is now a test for that.

It's most likely the animal fats in your diet; eggs if you do not remove the yolks and cheese...If you are genetically predisposed, your liver will convert a significant amount of the high trans-fats and hydrogenated fats into cholesterol.

==============>I don't drink at all<===============

Ah, there's your problem.
I weighed 262#
My cholesterol was high. I added cholesterol med to my BP med and my blood sugar med.
I cut way way way back on red meat and all fried food. I have never eaten many sweets, but I gave them up completely.
I eat large salads for lunch with olive oil and organic applecider vinegar dressing stirred into a little Greek yogurt to give it some protein and a creamy texture. I cut way back on the salt and have not opened a can or box of prepared food for 2 years.
I have lost 47#s, given up the cholesterol and blood sugar med and cut my BP med by 75%.

But I still enjoy my Scotch and martinis. (you gotta die of something sometime anyway. And this way, if the doc finds any more problems, I have something else to give up).

If you are significantly overweight you may still have elevated triglycerides even if you are on a low carb diet. My weight loss and low carb diet had my triglycerides go from the 150 range to 55. It is possible that you chose your parents poorly if you have bad numbers in spite of a healthful diet.

I had great parents but certainly they didn't win the genetic lottery. :no: Well, as of today down 41.6 pounds but still a long way to go. I am hoping as it drops further I will start seeing these numbers move and the triglyceride number has moved just not as far as I would like. For the most part they are in or close to what is considered the "normal" range according to the report I have but certainly on the high side of those ranges. I would like to have more margin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back