Tailwind & Density Alt

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I hadn't seen this video before. Seems like a good example of some things that maybe should have been planned out better or maybe not done under the current conditions. Lucky guy. Good video!

In my training my instructor had me takeoff with only a 6 KT direct tailwind in a cessna 172 on a 3500' runway. I used almost every inch and really learned to respect tailwinds. Nothing like hearing the stall warning go on and off while trying to get out of ground effect. :yikes:

Luck was definitely on your side,also a whole lot of skill also.

That is not me. Just a video I ran across. Anyone else have some Tailwind takeoff scenarios to share?

I once had a hell of a time landing at Petaluma (3600 ft) with a 5 knot tailwind. I'm based at a 2400 foot runway and have no trouble with that. I took the tailwind to mesh with departing traffic. Bad idea.

And I had a first-timer 8 year old in the back seat who had to pee.

What am I missing? He got off with plenty of runway remaining. It looked like he climbed up above the trees and then descended back down. How does a tailwind affect that?

What am I missing? He got off with plenty of runway remaining. It looked like he climbed up above the trees and then descended back down. How does a tailwind affect that?

Less air speed. The air is traveling in the same direction that you are which makes it take longer to reach the KIAS. If you compare that to the opposite where some airplanes takeoff in a few feet with really strong headwinds, maybe it makes more sense. Someone smarter than me should prob explain. :rolleyes2:

I have an comparison. When you fly a kite, would you pull it into the wind to gain altitude or would you let it drift down the beach letting string out with the wind. Which way would make it go up?

Last edited:
Less air speed. The air is traveling in the same direction that you are which makes it take longer to reach the KIAS. If you compare that to the opposite where some airplanes takeoff in a few feet with really strong headwinds, maybe it makes more sense. Someone smarter than me should prob explain. :rolleyes2:

I have an comparison. When you fly a kite, would you pull it into the wind to gain altitude or would you let it drift down the beach letting string out with the wind. Which way would make it go up?
In a steady wind, it will take longer to get off the ground, once off your airspeed is the same, ground speed will be faster, Climb rate (feet/min) will be the same but the angle will be shallower. A change in the wind will have effects for a few seconds.

The 120/140 is not known as a climbing maniac... But it looks like he got off the ground OK and (my guess) hit some sinking air or the runway has a significant rise.

Back