Tailwheelers - I finally got that crosswind I was looking for!

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I flew the Luscombe on Friday and was not going to fly today but when I woke up the wind was right down RWY 18 at X51 at about 8 kt. I wanted the wind down the runway to try this one-wheel slalom thing that Brian Lansburgh covers in his book, Brian’s Flying Book – A Guide to Precision Tailwheel Airmanship.

http://tailwheelersjournal.com/products-page/

brians-flying-book.jpg

I did his "landing in a turn" thing on Friday and that was not too difficult for me so I wanted to tackle the slalom but the wind was not right for it on Friday.

Anyway, I flew over to X51 this morning and did a few passes with the slalom. It was not easy and I definitely need more practice. The wind was steadily picking up and was gusty so I moved over to the grass to work on crosswind landings. We do not often get winds over 20 kt in Miami, especially crosswinds over 20 kt (except of course when it gets REAL windy). This ended up being 25G34 kt and a direct crosswind to the turf at X51. So today was my lucky day! Let me share what I learned and what I am still not so sure about.

1. Landing. Landing for me was pretty much a non-event. I practice so much with one-wheel wheel landings that this was just a normal day for me. When the xwind was still only about 20 kt, I three-pointed one and that was fine but I felt more confident wheel landing once it really picked up.

2. Taxiiing. I finally had enough wind to make weathervaning a real issue and it surprised the heck out of me. I tend to taxi a bit fast and usually keep the tailwheel very light. That got me in trouble and I learned why my instructor wanted the stick in my lap on taxi. Normally that is not an issue and I keep the stick neutral or even forward for a fast taxi. Anyway I was taxiing back for take-off a bit fast with neutral stick and the airplane started veering into the wind. Full rudder would not stop it and I just let it come around and stop. Huh. I could have caught it with a bit of brake but there was little risk and I was more interested in what was going on. Started off again and it did it again. OK, figured out that I need to slow it down and bury the stick on my lap to plant the tailwheel. That worked. Obviously, brakes can also help but I am trying to stay off them.

3. Fueling. So I stopped to fuel behind a Columbia at the pump. Faced it into the wind and shut it down. Got out. Wind starts blowing it back. I can't even leave it to get a chock. Get the Columbia folks to bring me some. Were they not there, I would have pushed it into the grass and hoped that held while I got the chocks. Or chocked it with a headset or whatever I could find. After fueling, I hand-prop. With engine at low idle, the wind still bows it back. A bit too much idle and it moves forward. Columbia and fuel pumps in front, forward bad. Leave it idling a bit on the low side, toss the chocks to the Columbia folks and climb in.

4. Take-off. Here is where it really got interesting. First one off the asphalt after fueling and I did not have solid directional control. Wind was from the right so weathervaning and left-turning tendencies were not in sync. Not really sure what I did wrong here but IIRC, I started veering left and right rudder and right aileron would not bring me back. Tail too low? Popped it up in the air and turned back in before I ran off the edge. Over on the grass, things went better. Wind was from the left and I lined up on the right side to make a diagonal run. Wanted to bring the right wing up on the roll like I usually do in crosswind takeoffs but it did not want to come up. Tried to keep the tailwheel planted until I had some speed and left it low. Run was straight but airplane seemed sluggish to accelerate. Maybe all the drag from full rudder and aileron and only 65 hp? Do y'all bring the tail up faster in a xwind takeoff?

Last edited:
That looks and sound like fun. I would never have thought of doing that maneuver. Cool! :yes:

David

That looks and sound like fun. I would never have thought of doing that maneuver. Cool! :yes:

David

It is fun. I highly recommend his book. It is just a $10 download and well worth it. I also want to pick up Contact Flying by Jim Dulin. I like the cut of these guys' jibs. LOL.

I've done that without a crosswind. Not as hard as it looks, but keep that tip off the pavement.

Oh, those poor tricycle pilots...not much challenge for them...someday some of them might learn to fly two-wheelers...

Dan

I've done that without a crosswind. Not as hard as it looks, but keep that tip off the pavement.

Oh, those poor tricycle pilots...not much challenge for them...someday some of them might learn to fly two-wheelers...

Dan

Yes, you do not need a xwind to land in a turn. You do want the wind right down the runway to slalom. Man, is that hard on asphalt in the Luscombe! Slaloming is carving arcs across the width of the runway, changing the direction of the arc each time you cross the centerline and not side-loading the one wheel that is on the ground. Tough!

Do that a few times and see if crosswind landings then present any challenge.

Okay, I'm a recovered tailwheel guy and I've seen the slalom thing. I didn't know what that particular Luscombe pilot was doing at the time but I was mightily impressed and it was way cool.

Answer me this, why couldn't the land in the turn maneuver be done in a trike? Why couldn't the slalom thing be done in a trike?

Okay, I'm a recovered tailwheel guy and I've seen the slalom thing. I didn't know what that particular Luscombe pilot was doing at the time but I was mightily impressed and it was way cool.

Answer me this, why couldn't the land in the turn maneuver be done in a trike? Why couldn't the slalom thing be done in a trike?

I do not think I am up to impressing anyone yet with my slalom skills. The Columbia pilot at the gas pump said he saw my first slalom and wondered what the hell I was doing then saw me land after going around the pattern for another go and thought "well, he certainly knows what he is doing". That at least made me feel good.

My feeling is that you can certainly practice this sort of stuff in a trike. Might even be a bit tougher to keep the nosewheel off and not bump the tail.

Last edited:
I do not think I am up to impressing anyone yet with my slalom skills. The Columbia pilot at the gas pump said he saw my first slalom and wondered what the hell I was doing then saw me land after going around the pattern for another go and thought "well, he certainly knows what he is doing". That at least made me feel good.

My feeling is that you can certainly practice this sort of stuff in a trike. Might even be a bit tougher to keep the nosewheel off and not bump the tail.
I'd never do it in my trike unless I had to. It's amazing what you can do when you have to.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I had some Luscombe time!

The trike's CG, being ahead of the mains, will try to lower the nose and things can get ugly real quick. Might get a bit slow and run out of elevator authority just when you need it the most. A taildragger's tail just comes down safely if it gets slow.

Dan

Back