Tail Wheel CFI in MN

ron22

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Hammer
I am looking for a CFI with a larger(170) tail wheel plane to do a tail wheel endorsement and some tail wheel time.
I am 30 miles North of the Twin Cities but willing to travel some.
The reason I would like a larger plane is I am 6'2" and weight 275lbs. Yes I will fit in a Citabria/Decathlon but I need a light instructor and light load of fuel.
I know of a few local places with Citabria/Decathlon but I would just prefer a larger plane if I could find one.

Mike Vivion lives in Crookston MN. He is a retired Fish and Wildlife Service pilot and would be an excellent instructor. He is affiliated with the University of Minnesota, not sure if he instructs on the side. He owns a Cessna 170. His work email is mvivion (at) umn.edu

It does not have to be a 170. That was just the first larger tail wheel I could think of.
Crookston MN is a little far. 320 miles by road. 215 mile straight line.
I will send him an email any ways.

What about a Pitts or Extra? Kill two birds with one stone. Should be someone teaching acro in a Pitts / Extra / ... in the area.

Pitts S2 has the same W&B issue. I can not find a W&B for an Extra so I am not sure about that.

North Air in Perham, MN does tailwheel instruction. They have two Piper Cruisers. Chances are, right now they are both on floats but you may still catch on one wheels.

Morris Riggins in Aberdeen,SD does tailwheel instruction in a T-craft or Stinson. He also has a SuperCub with original spray equipment for instruction.

Fargo Jet Center had a Cessna 140 on the line this winter for tailwheel instruction, don't know if that one is still around.

North Air in Perham, MN does tailwheel instruction. They have two Piper Cruisers. Chances are, right now they are both on floats but you may still catch on one wheels.

Morris Riggins in Aberdeen,SD does tailwheel instruction in a T-craft or Stinson. He also has a SuperCub with original spray equipment for instruction.

Fargo Jet Center had a Cessna 140 on the line this winter for tailwheel instruction, don't know if that one is still around.

Pretty sure I will not fit in a 140. Not sure about the others.

Pretty sure I will not fit in a 140. Not sure about the others.

T-Craft will be cozy, and depending on the model, will be weight challenged. A Super Cub would be doable. And if the Stinson is a 108 model, it is equivalent to a Cessna 170 so it would be a contender.

Or I could just go visit Greg for a week and he could do it in his plane.:lol:

Or I could just go visit Greg for a week and he could do it in his plane.:lol:

Yeah, but my insurance company wouldn't like it very much.

Well, frankly, if I wanted to pay the premium, thew would be more than happy to cover it. It is three times the cost though. More than I can recoup by flight training.

Stinson Airfield south of the twin cities has a super cub they'll do training in. I picked up my tailwheel endorsement with like 3 hours of training there and they let me rent the airplane afterword. I miss that place. At the time they had the super cub, super cruiser, and cub special.

Well my club took delivery of the Citabria. I do fit it is just not real graceful getting in and out.
I still would like to get the endorsement and spend some time in a larger plane.
Right now the CFI's need to get check out in the plane before anyone else can.

Right now the CFI's need to get check out in the plane before anyone else can.

As in get their endorsements? Or just get checked out in the plane? I am not sure I would want a CFI with 5 total tailwheel hours giving me an endorsement.

Greg,
Not to insult any of the clubs CFI's but that was the other reason I was looking at getting the initial endorsement somewhere else.

The CFI are going to be getting their endorsements. Then they are going to be flying until they feel comfortable enough to be giving the endorsement and check out in the plane.

Back