T-tails pros / cons

Sort of.
RC t-tail as compared to RC "normal" tail have significant differences in structure and strength.

Wondering if the same was true when comparing "Real" t-tail to "real "normal" tail.

Not necessarily comparing the model to "real". Just extrapolating.

Am I talking my way out of this one :)

Not really. You want to see structure that will turn you white and make you never want to fly in it, come to Lincoln NE, I'll show you a good example.

Probably the second most creepy empennage I've seen. The whole vertical stabilizer moves around a hinge pin and the lower aft spar of the vertical stabilizer.

Are not swept tails another design decision that has more to do with style than with function?

Swept tails are good for high speed aerodynamics. Otherwise, they are creations to fulfill marketing needs.

Wasn't it a T tail Lance that got John Kennedy Junior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-tails are great for keeping a jet's exhaust from impinging on the elevator(s), but otherwise, there are few benefits.

Lots of non-T tails out there on jets, many have de-ice boots back there too.

Cessna 500, 501, 550, 560, 560XL, 680

Israel Aircraft Inc, 1124 1125, Astra, Astra SPX

Gulfstream G100, G150, G200

Falcon 10, 20, 50, 900, 2000, 7X

All have fuselage mounted engines.

Not really. You want to see structure that will turn you white and make you never want to fly in it, come to Lincoln NE, I'll show you a good example.

When I saw that little metal crimped ball that links the elevator in the 172, I almost quit my training. :hairraise:

When I saw that little metal crimped ball that links the elevator in the 172, I almost quit my training. :hairraise:

Crimped or "swaged" terminals?

Every airplane that has flight control cables are that way.

Crimped or "swaged" terminals?

Every airplane that has flight control cables are that way.

YES!
It really should tie and bolt and maybe a bit of glue.

That tiny little ball put there buy a guy who I hope was having a good day still scares me.

YES!
It really should tie and bolt and maybe a bit of glue.

That tiny little ball put there buy a guy who I hope was having a good day still scares me.

First time I saw what holds the wings of a super cub (four bolts and a lift strut on each wing) on I was sure it was gonna change the way I fly the thing...it didn't by the way :goofy::goofy:

Lots of non-T tails out there on jets, many have de-ice boots back there too.

Cessna 500, 501, 550, 560, 560XL, 680

Israel Aircraft Inc, 1124 1125, Astra, Astra SPX

Gulfstream G100, G150, G200

Falcon 10, 20, 50, 900, 2000, 7X

All have fuselage mounted engines.

Yes they do. Regardless of that, T-tails do resolve the issue of exhaust impingement on the horizontal stab/elevator. Are there other solutions for that problem? Sure. Never indicated or implied otherwise.

First time I saw what holds the wings of a super cub (four bolts and a lift strut on each wing) on I was sure it was gonna change the way I fly the thing...it didn't by the way :goofy::goofy:

Apropos of not much, the horizontal stabilizer of my Sky Arrow is held in place with a single large wing nut!

Granted, it's safety wired, but it still gives one pause.

Part of the preflight is to check those index marks - if they don't line up, something's come loose! :yikes:

7425355116_336709b7a3_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back