T-34 time

Nav8tor

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Nav8tor
I recently joined the flying club at Willow Grove NAS mainly to fly their two T-34 Mentors. The past two weekends I got some dual as part of the checkout. To be checked out I’ll need a minimum of five hours time in type and flights with two instructors.

Before the first flight I had read through the NATOPs (Navy talk for POH) to learn AC systems and procedures. The morning that we had scheduled the first flight turned out to be rainy with low ceilings so we spent a hour on cockpit familiarization with me sitting in the front cockpit and the instructor standing on the wing, sometimes holding an umbrella over us both, while he explained the cockpit layout and went thought the preflight and engine start checklist. Although it’s a military airplane most of the controls and instruments were familiar. The main differences from what I’m used to are more a function of the airplanes age. It was built in the 1950s and the panel’s been upgraded somewhat, but most of the instruments are not in the standard layout. One difference is that it has automatic mixture metering so you leave the mixture lever full forward until it’s time to shut down the engine. Another difference, which I find annoying, is that you need to push a button on top of the throttle lever to talk on the intercom. It’s real easy to confuse it with the transmit button on the *side* of the throttle, a fact I would later discover when I making some dumb comment intended for the instructor but broadcast on the tower frequency.

The next day was the first flight which was mainly to help me get comfortable with the airplane.After takeoff, the first thing I noticed was how loud the engine noise was in the cockpit. It was so loud I thought my ANR headset was turned off. I fiddled with the switch turning it off and back on but it had little effect. I mentioned it to the instructor and he told me he wears earplugs under his headset (the next time I flew it I used my older, passive headset and it was noticeably quieter).

Out to the practice area we went so I could do some basic 4-fundimentals flying, just turning, climbing and descending to get a feel for the airplane. The controls are amazingly well balanced and it flies like a much lighter airplane (except when you pull the power :eek:). After that we when went back to Willow Grove for some touch and goes.

The next week, for my second flight, we did high airwork, stalls, slowflight, steep turns etc and then more landings. We did a few at a 3000 ft long uncontrolled field and then back to Willowgrove for more. For a couple of them we went up to 2000 agl and the instructor pulled the power abeam the numbers. The gear and flaps were out and the thing came down like a rock. There was just enough altitude for one 360° turn.

It's a fun airplane to fly and I'll hopefully be checked out in in after another flight or two.

Below are some photos from my the day of my first flight. I didn’t take in flight cause I kinda had my hands full.

Attachments

• Cockpit horizontal.JPG
    Cockpit horizontal.JPG
    714.7 KB · Views: 153
  • upclose.jpg
    upclose.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
let me be the first to say in POA tradition,..

You Suck! :raspberry:

But I said that in the nicest way possible, still on my knees begging to hopefully get a ride with you someday :fcross: :cornut::fcross:

is that the throttle on the lower left (black handle?),... so you fly with your right hand? That would be different I think. The Diamond DA-20 was at least still left hand on the stick and throttle in the right.

is that the throttle on the lower left (black handle?),... so you fly with your right hand? That would be different I think. The Diamond DA-20 was at least still left hand on the stick and throttle in the right.

Yes, one of the benefits of single pilot cockpits. This beast in my sig is the same way.

If you want to fly the DA-20 or most GA two seat trainiers with the right hand on stick, left hand on throttle, fly it from the CFI position. :thumbsup:

Standard Gliders are also set up with right hand flying and the left hand does everything else; spoilers, brakes, flaps, etc. Sometimes you need to swap hands because the manual gear lever is on the right side.

In the B-1, each pilot left and right seat, had throttles in the left hand, stick in the right. The wing sweep control was outboard though, so left hand for the left seat pilot and right hand for the right seat pilot.

The B-52 had 8 throttles in the middle, so after the co-pilot learned to fly right handed and throttles in the left. He had to learn it the other way when he upgraded to Pilot or Aircraft Commander.

Its really no big deal.. can't you fly to the same proficiency with either hand? :D

Yup that's the throttle. The prop and mixture are there on the left too. You fly with your right hand. Funny thing, I find it awkward to fly with my right hand in an airplane with a yoke but not with a stick. Feels perfectly natural. Maybe I'm use to it from my glider training but I don't remember it being awkward at all when I first started.

Oh MAN.

One of these beautiful planes was doing low passes over SEG not too long ago.

You sir, are a lucky man.

You're gonna love the T-34. Got 1300 hours in the C model. Do they let you do spins and Acro? I remember doing 20 3-turn spins one flight. And flying with th canopy open is just too cool also.

No Acro or spins allowed per the club rules.

You're gonna love the T-34. Got 1300 hours in the C model. Do they let you do spins and Acro? I remember doing 20 3-turn spins one flight. And flying with th canopy open is just too cool also.

Its really no big deal.. can't you fly to the same proficiency with either hand? :D

When I started on my CFI flight training, my instructor told me it'd take about 10 hours for me to get fully comfortable flying from the right. Hopped in the right seat of the 172, went flying, and was fully comfortable from the get-go. Practiced everything so that I wasn't doing it for the first time on the checkride, but no problems.

For me, transitioning to a complex from the right seat (or the Aztec) was still comfortable after a short period of time, but my flying still felt not up to my standards, primarily takeoffs and landings. So, I flew this weekend's trip to Atlanta and back almost 100% from the right seat (both for practice and also because the way the cages were stacked, the right seat had more legroom! ;) ), and by the end of it (9.8 logged), I was making greasers. Even my first landing in it wasn't too bad.

Time to get that MEI ride out of the way...

Trivia time: Is there a US military tandem seat aircraft which doesn't have a left hand throttle control?

Oh yeah, Lee, you suck.:tongue:

This is like rubbing salt into an old wound: Lemoore NAS Flying Club had a few Mentors for rent. $50 wet at a time when even a C-172 was above $80.

This came to an end when a renter ran out of fuel and put it down on Hwy 1 just south of Hearst Castle. He hit a 6" diameter fence post with the right wing and overcorrected to hit several more fence posts with the left wing. That airframe is now at Estrella Warbird Museum in Paso Robles, CA. I cringed whenever I saw that frame because it reminded me that my checkout was scheduled to begin the week after the accident.

Oh yeah, Lee, you suck.:tongue:

This is like rubbing salt into an old wound: Lemoore NAS Flying Club had a few Mentors for rent. $50 wet at a time when even a C-172 was above $80.

Oh yeah, I didn't mention the rental cost.......... $68/ hr wet B)

This came to an end when a renter ran out of fuel and put it down on Hwy 1 just south of Hearst Castle. He hit a 6" diameter fence post with the right wing and overcorrected to hit several more fence posts with the left wing. That airframe is now at Estrella Warbird Museum in Paso Robles, CA. I cringed whenever I saw that frame because it reminded me that my checkout was scheduled to begin the week after the accident.

Sadly I only have a little over a year to play with the T-34s. Willow Grove is slated by the BRAC to close at the end of 2010 :sad:.

Sadly I only have a little over a year to play with the T-34s. Willow Grove is slated by the BRAC to close at the end of 2010 :sad:.

68/hr WET :yikes: Guess I know what you'll be flying the rest of the year and next :cornut:

During 1978 to 1980 I flew at the Atsugi NAS Flying club in Japan. We had a T-34B, 2 172's and a C150. The C-150 was $12/hour wet, the C172 was $15 and the T-34B was $20.

In the back of the hangar they had 5 T-34's that were crated up and being used for spare parts.

During 1978 to 1980 I flew at the Atsugi NAS Flying club in Japan. We had a T-34B, 2 172's and a C150. The C-150 was $12/hour wet, the C172 was $15 and the T-34B was $20.

In the back of the hangar they had 5 T-34's that were crated up and being used for spare parts.

And just for comparison, I rented a 172 at Nagoya in the mid 90's for something like $500/hr wet (with instructor).

And just for comparison, I rented a 172 at Nagoya in the mid 90's for something like $500/hr wet (with instructor).

That must've been a really good instructor (or a really nice 172)! ;)

$68 an hour wet!!

SIGN ME UP!

Huh, carb heat? I assumed T34s were fuel injected.

Man, there's always something to learn. I love aviation for that.

Like the early Bonanzas the T34 is descended from, the engines come with pressure carburetors. In the autmotive world this would be called a mechanical single point fuel injection system. These carbs don't ice up like a normal carb but the injector and venturi can accumulate impact ice but that's very rare and chance are if your having that problem your wings, prop, and fuselage are popsicles. And IIRC the "carb heat" doesn't involve air heated by an exhaust muff, it's just taken from under the engine where the air has been warmed slightly by the cylinders. The real reason for this control is to bypass the air filter which can easily collect impact ice.

Big deal. I have a Grumman.

BTW. Yeah you suck.

:D:D:D

The flight manual calls it Alternate Air. When the handle is pulled it "shuts off the normal ram air and admits warm air from the engine compartment as an alternate source of air to the fuel control." I think its intended in case of a clogged inlet as opposed to carb ice (since there is no carb)

Lee, that is flat out awesome. What a great opportunity!

Here's an idea -- is Charlie Biella's T34 still for sale at Wings? Hmm? Investment opportunity??!!!

Oh, man. The T-34 is on my short list, but they're not giving them away. 10 days ago I flew back seat in a Harvard, in a flight of four which included a T-6, an SNJ, and a T-34 for a flyover of the Milwaukee Veterans Day parade.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
The 34 came with a 0-470-8, and a pressure carb. most have been up graded to IO-520 or the 550. They have very frequent fuel pump failures and they are a strange part number but look exactly like a Cessna 310 fuel pump with different pressure settings.

The -B never were acro certified, just the -A, thus your clubs rules.

The A & B now have a hugely expensive wing AD, that the Parks company is authorized to do.

The T-28 is a lot more fun. (1820, 1300 horse power) and loves acro.

68 an hour wet,I can't afford to fly my own aircraft for that.

So...N4028G is now at the NAS Lemoore flying club. Getting checked out this weekend. Unfortunately rental cost is $85/Dry now, but it's still cheaper than you could own a T-34B for...

The Navy club in Monterey has one for $135 wet.

And they'll even take civilians (DoD and CAP).

One hour in a T34... just imagine the carnage! :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• T34.png
    T34.png
    97 KB · Views: 48
Back