System MUST be flawed...

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
... because I passed my PP-ASEL-IA checkride today!

First forecast out this morning was saying SCT 2500 which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but all of the approaches at the airport we would be using start at 3000. Anywho.. Kept checking wx as time approached and sure enough, the low scud moved on out and left CLEAR BELOW 12000.

Got planed loaded up and took the 45min flight over to Burlington. Got there before DPE, so went ahead and had the line guy fuel the plane up. DPE arrives and we get right into the oral. After an hour of "What would you do..." questions from him combined with several stories from when he flew P-38's in the Army Air Corp or flying Pt135 hops in crappy IMC, we head out to do the flying portion.

Started out intercepting and tracking V airway off the local VOR. Then a 'vector' off of the airway. Immediately he covers the AI and we do timed turns left and right, climbing turn right, descending turn left, steep turns partial panel. Winds were ~280@14G18 most of the time, so it made things really interesting holding everything respectable while performing so many different maneuvers so closely together. Winds also made ILS 36, GPS 36 *fun*. Surprise myself and do both approaches better than when I practiced them last weekend with dad. Head out to VOR for hold and with strong winds directly on my tail, and trying to slow down after the climb, I am at and through the VOR before I know it. Salvage the holding procedure. It wasn't pretty, but I made it obvious that I knew where I was at all times and what I was doing to remedy the situation. After a couple of circuits around the holding pattern, turn inbound for VOR 30 with a circle-to-land back on 30.

Never heard the words "let's head back now", so I know that I've passed! Try not to let the grin get too big as he fills out my temporary certificate. Weather was CAVU on the way home, so I couldn't justify filing for the fun of it. :( ;)

Started working on the IR 5 years ago, but really did 99% of the work with Tony this fall. Thanks to Tony for being a great CFII that was always willing to work around my screwed up schedule.

Now I have another license to learn......in the clouds. ;)

-Chris

COngrats, Chris...

A great Christmas present!

Got planed loaded up and took the 45min flight over to Burlington. Got there before DPE, so went ahead and had the line guy fuel the plane up.

Was the DE Tommy Thompson? I did my CFI Reinstatement with him about 6 years ago.

By the way, Congratulations on the IR.

Was the DE Tommy Thompson? I did my CFI Reinstatement with him about 6 years ago.

By the way, Congratulations on the IR.

Yep.. Tommy Tomkins. His health is going down fast. From what I heard, he just barely got his medical renewed in October. He has emphysema really bad. He had to take 2 breaks just trying to get into the RV. I really felt sorry for him. He's just a good 'ol guy that has forgotten more about flying than I will ever know.

Thanks!

Congratulations, and welcome to the club! Membership requirements are strict, but the benefits are enormous!

Merry Christmas!!!! What a great present you earned yourself!!

... because I passed my PP-ASEL-IA checkride today!

Started working on the IR 5 years ago, but really did 99% of the work with Tony this fall. Thanks to Tony for being a great CFII that was always willing to work around my screwed up schedule.

-Chris
Congrats Man. Glad it went well with you. And our screwed up schedules complimented each other well!

And harder go - no go decisions! Congrats!

God isnt that the truth!

Now im just going to have to beg rides in the RV instead of get paid for them :(

Sure you dont need a little recurrent training? ;)

Man I coulda sworn I posted somewhere that you were to call me after the checkride, must've forgotten to hit Post or something. Got to be 10 PM tonight and I was really wondering what the hell happened! Talk about the perfect way to get the CFI worried.

Have fun on your christmas trip. I pray for good enough weather for you to get out of iowa and just enough clouds on the way for you to make use of the rating. Show Rachel that utility!

Man I coulda sworn I posted somewhere that you were to call me after the checkride, must've forgotten to hit Post or something. Got to be 10 PM tonight and I was really wondering what the hell happened! Talk about the perfect way to get the CFI worried.

Damned inconsiderate students. :rofl:

Hey.. I DID call.. I was on the way home from the airport so I didn't have your home phone number, so I called your Cell phone.. I figured this would be one day you would definitely check voicemail.

Yeah.. I guess we can do some rides every once in a while. We'll have to see how the RV does 8's on Pylons. :D Comm is up next! :D

-Chris

Way to go, Chris! I already wanted a ride in the RV the next time I'm in Ames...now you just lost all of your excuses!:)

Awesome. You'll love it. I'm glad you finally got it done!

Hey.. I DID call.. I was on the way home from the airport so I didn't have your home phone number, so I called your Cell phone.. I figured this would be one day you would definitely check voicemail.

Yeah.. I guess we can do some rides every once in a while. We'll have to see how the RV does 8's on Pylons. :D Comm is up next! :D

-Chris

yea i got that this morning. Thought I gave you my home phone number...

start comm on Jan. 8th? thats when im back in ames! 182RG should be close to back on line, once left lower cowling comes back it wont take long to get it put back together.

Congrats Chris! You better watch Tony in the 182RG, you never know when he might give you a real gear emergency :)

ha! i just call it "realistic training" Next student gets to deal with the FAA though :)

Back